Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 14th June 2011, 00:19   #41
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Ph2 Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Jamesb0303 is on a distinguished road

I agree aswell seems very low? I want at least 200! what ecu are you running madison ill have a gander at your thread! Want this done soon but dont want to rush so would rather do the research before hand! Thanks for the comments guys
Jamesb0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 00:27   #42
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

i don't have a progress thread mate

i've got a dta s40pro ecu, had it fitted and mapped by sandy brown. tbh, i owe the reliability and good power output to him. A decent ecu and a decent mapper is essential imo.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 00:47   #43
PJN
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk7 Zetec S
PJN is on a distinguished road

Been giving this a good think over the last few days as per the direction of my car. I know I'm going to go 16v at some point and kept thinking do I....

Cams and ITB's (160hp sound about right?)

or spend the extra money and go low boost (unsure on a hp figure but at least theres plenty of scope for tuning depending on your budget)

Shall be keeping an eye on most of the Boost'd Progress Threads (Thank Heavens for email subscriptions!) and making my mind up, got plenty of time anyway.
PJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:26   #44
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
A decent ecu and a decent mapper is essential imo.

IMO the single most important thing in a build like this is a good map.

To OP, i have also done a budget turbo build i dont have time to right loads of stuff in here about it but feel free to have a look through my progress thread. A DTA, loom and map from GR will probably set you back about 1k... but it will be the best 1k you will spend.

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:34   #45
J222JRA
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Westfield
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
J222JRA is on a distinguished road

Quote:

i've got a dta s40pro ecu, had it fitted and mapped by sandy brown. tbh, i owe the reliability and good power output to him. A decent ecu and a decent mapper is essential imo.
Comments like these keep me assured im making the correct decision.
J222JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:36   #46
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J222JRA View Post
Comments like these keep me assured im making the correct decision.
what decision is that james?
Old 14th June 2011, 11:51   #47
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Ph2 Saxo VTR
Jamesb0303 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ahhh all ive heard is good things about this guy might have a word with him and sort something out! How much did it set you back matee
Jamesb0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:54   #48
quikydan
Infrequent Poster

quikydan is on a distinguished road

The dp engineering kit has been mentioned above but what other choices have you got when it comes to the turbo. Again looking at the 200 - 220bhp atw figure.

Will be using the cituning manifold and downpipe just because it's cheaper.
quikydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 12:39   #49
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikydan View Post
The dp engineering kit has been mentioned above but what other choices have you got when it comes to the turbo. Again looking at the 200 - 220bhp atw figure.

Will be using the cituning manifold and downpipe just because it's cheaper.
Welcome to the forums

The DP kit is made up of standard garrett turbos, on their manifolds with their downpipe and fittings.

Your question is a little wooly unfortunately! If you mean what are your choices with turbos, the answer is "lots"! From IHI to garrett, kkk etc. However, if you want to use a dp manifold then your better sticking with garrett in my opinion (DP will fit a TD or K flange at extra cost). Of course, there's nothing stopping you mixing and matching anything you want.

For 200atw, you're looking at 220atf. Thats a really nice figure to have as it's really fun and really drivable! AND you get to play with the smaller turbos.

Don't be put off by running a smaller turbo - if you're not chasing power figures, the smaller the turbo the better because it allows really fast spool and therefore drivability across the whole rev range. A GT25 would be an ideal turbo for you and around town and on short point to points, you'd be untouchable because of how quick the car would come on boost
Old 14th June 2011, 12:44   #50
quikydan
Infrequent Poster

quikydan is on a distinguished road

Actually on 106owners (Dan!) just only view this forum Seem to have more people with knowledge around boost on hear though which is good!

What i mean by my post is basically going to by the cituning manifold and downpipe which is £455 i believe but i dont fancy spending £600 on a turbo for what i want.

I'll be just using this car on the road so need a quick spooling turbo. Could you suggest a turbo from a production car that would be ideal? This would obviously be cheaper to buy..

I could buy the dp engineering kit but would prefer to save my pennies as i dont have any intentions of going for more power at a later date. It just would not be needed.

Thanks for your reply ross.
quikydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 12:48   #51
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

if you could get a different flange welded on the manifold for 220hp a ko3s turbo off audi tt would be ideal. or a td04, or gt22 etc etc.. shit loads of options.. the garret range is good but again you pay more for it, which is expected.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:00   #52
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Grab a TD04 flange from ebay and have that welded to the cituning manifold if they dont offer the td flange as standard. TD04's are cheap as chips and a good turbo for your needs - especially the smaller end of the range, like the 13G. Avoid the 09B though, as thats really designed for petrol strimmers and ride on lawn mowers
Old 14th June 2011, 13:05   #53
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

There are actually TD04s ross that have the weired 3 bolt exhaust flange the cituning downpipe uses the manifold is the standard 4 bolt t2* style one
Old 14th June 2011, 13:16   #54
simmo
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
simmo is on a distinguished road

Ive got a gt2871rs. feels sluggish to spool up sometimes but im putting that own to not being used to what gear to be in yet!

Cant wait until its fully mapped and i can ee how it performs properly! Where should i be expecting it to spool up? thing its around 4.5k atm!

Currently 311bhp Atf.. Soon to be 300bhp Atw
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 13:23   #55
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieVTS View Post
Ive got a gt2871rs. feels sluggish to spool up sometimes but im putting that own to not being used to what gear to be in yet!

Cant wait until its fully mapped and i can ee how it performs properly! Where should i be expecting it to spool up? thing its around 4.5k atm!
that sounds about right for that turbo mate. it certainly wouldnt be my first (2nd,3rd,4th) choice in turbo but it certainly gives good power. if i were you id sell the gt2871r and buy a gt28rs
Old 14th June 2011, 14:02   #56
Rossp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
There are actually TD04s ross that have the weired 3 bolt exhaust flange the cituning downpipe uses the manifold is the standard 4 bolt t2* style one
Ah I didn't know that about the cituning stuff - never looked at it. Useful to know for others though for sure
Old 14th June 2011, 14:11   #57
Rossp
Super Moderator

Quote:

2871 wouldn't be a good choice for this engine - it's fairly mismatched to the engine. See if you can find someone with a 2860 who wants to swap The 71 will make more top end power, but at the price of spool, as you're discovering. Don't expect that to improve.
Old 14th June 2011, 14:26   #58
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

I think I am going to look into the VNTs for my next build something that will spool from 1500 and gold out to 6250 will be fine just case of finding a good one or something similar from the usual suspects that will do similar
Old 14th June 2011, 15:39   #59
PJN
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk7 Zetec S
PJN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
I think I am going to look into the VNTs for my next build something that will spool from 1500 and gold out to 6250 will be fine just case of finding a good one or something similar from the usual suspects that will do similar
Think I'll just use a TD04, seem to be available pretty cheaply...
PJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:35   #60
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

Quote:

not an ideal turbo for a saxo however it is an ideal turbo for my s14a so if you want to sell it, pm me!
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote