Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 2nd July 2013, 17:19   #21
Hazmanscoop
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Black VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Hazmanscoop is on a distinguished road

Yeah did a speedtest and a ping test, that's where I got the info from originally.

Ping fluctuated quite a bit from 20 up to 50 on different tests.

I've just ordered the infinity and managed to get it for £8 extra a month. So I'm pretty happy with that. When they install it I'm going to see if they can put it up in the bedroom with the Xbox so I can have a wired connection.

Cheers for the info Ross. Glad to see it does what it says on the tin.

Smith, I live in a town house (3 story) so I'm quite far from the router when wireless like. Although when I had the virgin at 100mb and had a town house, the wireless was pretty good regardless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbastard View Post
I managed to make it outside once but i didnt like it - i couldnt work out how to click on people and trees and stuff

Last edited by Hazmanscoop; 2nd July 2013 at 17:21.
Hazmanscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:16   #22
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

How come you swapped? Better deal?
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:27   #23
Hazmanscoop
Established Member
North East Region Member

Seems like it mate, I was on normal bt broadband anyway. So instead of 7mb I get 75mb for £8 extra a month. Well worth it tbh

Quote:
I managed to make it outside once but i didnt like it - i couldnt work out how to click on people and trees and stuff
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:38   #24
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 520bhp Honda Jazz
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!

Being a joiner, i managed to put a cable in the wall downstairs, and get it up to my room

Life's a bitch, then you die.
smiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:52   #25
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

I fucking hate the advert
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 10:12   #26
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

wired connections are old school but just better if you ask me, thats how I've wired in all my media stuff, servers and consoles. Wireless is only used for laptops and phones
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 10:17   #27
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

tbf, I game over wireless on the PS3 - but it IS only about 4 feet from the router. Never had any issues at all.

The other thing you could consider if your wifi isn't great is homeplug - I also use these and they're basically fucking awesome

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA41...ds=homeplug+AV
Old 4th July 2013, 11:06   #28
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

have they affected the speed and pings at the homeplugged machine Ross?

On the BT infinity point it is unlikley the engineer will install in your room...unless you ask very nicely or possibly offer a beer token. Their remit is to install the new masterplug at the original masterplug location OR at the first point where the telephone line enters the house.

Depending on how the original house has been wired you may lose some speed at your bedroom location if its been star wired etc...

As i say though when i had mine installed the guy was very helpful and told me he could put the new plug anywhere i wanted even though it was a chargeable service etc etc...

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 11:41   #29
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
have they affected the speed and pings at the homeplugged machine Ross?
Nothing noticeable. Traceroute shows a 1ms additional overhead on the homeplug and I've never tested the speed exactly, but it's enough to stream 5gb full 1080p video files over live so as far as I can tell perfectly adequate. I really rate the homeplug stuff
Old 4th July 2013, 12:03   #30
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

it was back in my mum and dads house that i was thinking for. They have an extension thats thick walled and steel framed and getting a wifi signal through is near impossible and still reach the other ends of the house. Then i discovered that due to the extension there are two seperate power rings

I may look at the homeplus though for the eggbox for gaming. More just as its a gadget to mess around with

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 12:14   #31
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Bear in mind it only works if the homeplugs are on the same mains circuit. Not a situation you will come about often but it does happen especially if the house is converted.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 12:31   #32
Rossp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
Bear in mind it only works if the homeplugs are on the same mains circuit. Not a situation you will come about often but it does happen especially if the house is converted.
My garage is on a separate ring main and it still works over there, although (iirc) at a reduced speed. Get about 75mbps in there from memory. I don't know the full ins and outs of how it works to be fair.
Old 4th July 2013, 14:08   #33
Hazmanscoop
Established Member
North East Region Member

Fountain of knowledge in here like lads.

Cheers for the info.

I had been looking at those ross, but i could only remember that belkin did them, wasnt sure if anyone else did. Cost of the belkins is like £60 a set though, depending on what mbps rating you wanted.

I'll have to get some of those if he doesnt put it upstairs like

Quote: