Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 17th May 2017, 02:01   #1
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road
Default MOT Fail help

Just got the MOT back on the saxo on the 11th need some advise last 3 years or so shown nothing on it and have checked for rot rust in all the bad sections that it tends to get it.

MOT fail come up with this lot of BS

Reason(s) for failure

Rear Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b) found is bulb so ticked off list

Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a) found is split n didn't know so that ticked off to repair

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Now with these 2 outter sills where is this actually meaning is this mounts that hold shocks in or sills that are behind the plastics ?

Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1) Got changed already

Front Drivers airbag obviously defective (5.4.1) wasnt airbag light was ABS guess cant see what lights what.

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) had this problem before but it was passed and no adviesry on it as it was braking fine and still brake fine with handbrae.

Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)

DOes this mean ones working ones not and possibly seized or on way?

Advisory notice item(s)
Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1) replaced
Nearside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3) replacing with new set.

Any idea how this lot can magically come up after 3 years with last 3 years with only miner advisory and nothing about rust or other things mentioned above. Is this guy being picky or can all this pop up within 1 year as I have looked after this saxo for last 4 years and had no issues like this..

Test date30 April 2016 Expiry date10 May 2017 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 84,445 miles MOT test
Test date14 April 2015 Expiry date10 May 2016 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 72,493 miles MOT test
Test date25 April 2014 Expiry date10 May 2015 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 58,762 miles MOT test

Anyway does anyone know how much sell welding gonna cost n getting brakes and handbrake sorted out?
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 11:10   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
Just got the MOT back on the saxo on the 11th need some advise last 3 years or so shown nothing on it and have checked for rot rust in all the bad sections that it tends to get it.

MOT fail come up with this lot of BS

Reason(s) for failure

Rear Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b) found is bulb so ticked off list

Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a) found is split n didn't know so that ticked off to repair

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)

Now with these 2 outter sills where is this actually meaning is this mounts that hold shocks in or sills that are behind the plastics ?

This is the sill, i.e the bit behind the plastic. it's common for them to rust inside there. it would be easy to miss without looking specifically as MOT testers aren't allowed to remove "covers" to see what's underneath. Not difficult to have welded up if the inner sills are okay

Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1) Got changed already

Front Drivers airbag obviously defective (5.4.1) wasnt airbag light was ABS guess cant see what lights what.

Some testers are failing aftermarket steering wheels for having no airbag. If the wheel has no airbag, and you have removed the airbag system and no airbag light is on, it won't fail. also what you've said doesn't make sense "was ABS guess cant see what lights what" if the ABS light was on that's a fail?

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) had this problem before but it was passed and no adviesry on it as it was braking fine and still brake fine with handbrae.

This means your handbrake is shit, I can pretty much guarantee it's the rear calipers. You can try adjusting the cable underneath the handbrake lever. handbrake should be fully on at 3 clicks - this will leave enough reserve travel.

Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)

DOes this mean ones working ones not and possibly seized or on way?

Yes, bleed the brakes first and check the pads and discs are in good condition.

Advisory notice item(s)
Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1) replaced
Nearside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3) replacing with new set.

Any idea how this lot can magically come up after 3 years with last 3 years with only miner advisory and nothing about rust or other things mentioned above. Is this guy being picky or can all this pop up within 1 year as I have looked after this saxo for last 4 years and had no issues like this..

Test date30 April 2016 Expiry date10 May 2017 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 84,445 miles MOT test
Test date14 April 2015 Expiry date10 May 2016 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 72,493 miles MOT test
Test date25 April 2014 Expiry date10 May 2015 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 58,762 miles MOT test

Anyway does anyone know how much sell welding gonna cost n getting brakes and handbrake sorted out?

Welding depends on how bad the rust is. I'd probably guess it's £50-£100 worth. As for the handbrake, if adjusting doesn't work then you'll need a new caliper on whatever one isn't working properly. Same goes for your front brakes, if it's the caliper needing replaced it'll be the cost of what a caliper is - or discs and pads etc.
Old 17th May 2017, 20:32   #3
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

With the back ones I know they should not be needing done as done a full recondition on them myself and I know the pistons are clean and flowing nice on them. Think is just one side on handbrake needs changing and adjusting up but not sure without looking at it myself. Welding I been told might be 2 sides replacing depending on how far rust goes back on it. fornt is i been told is becoming seased up so can be freed off. Then just need get abs pump sorted tires sorted n all good.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:24   #4
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

rust is within 300mm of a suspension mounting, i.e where the beam bolts to the shell, so could be the back end of the sills or the rear arches.

typically will be marked with yellow crayon by the tester.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 20:39   #5
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
rust is within 300mm of a suspension mounting, i.e where the beam bolts to the shell, so could be the back end of the sills or the rear arches.

typically will be marked with yellow crayon by the tester.
Yup had a look today its next to where beam bolts are on one end and a little surface rust on one and another gone though on one side hasn't gone where bolt is yet but next to it.

Back sills are gone though didn't even see them to be honest guess was looking in wrong sections and lots lot of mots put though MOT guys not even looked at it proper. Works getting done and its not cheap but oh well save a classic or crush it. Id rather spend the money to be future proof if coming to sell as I know I will get money on top