Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 13th December 2006, 13:30   #1
sebm26999
L-plater

sebm26999 will become famous soon enough
Default How do i adjust my handbrake?

my handbrake has come a little loose, dont think it needs new pads just needs tightening ?

help would be much appreciated thanks
its for a 1.1 by the way
sebm26999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 13:45   #2
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

try this.
Turn on engine, put foot on brake.
Push handbrake button in, and continously pull up handbrake til you feel tension then repeat.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 13:46   #3
antiks

Car(s): vts pocket rocket
antiks is on a distinguished road

rear wheels need to be off the ground to do this so make sure you chock the front wheels to stop the car rolling forwards.
release handbrake and follow instructions.
you need to get under your car and slacken and withdraw the securing screws and slide the exhaust heat sheild towards the front of the car (no need to remove it).
if your car has a centre silencer it will be nessesary to unbolt and remove the section of the exhaust system containing the centre silencer to gain acces to the heatsheild screws.
then slacken the adjuster nut on the hand brake cable till the wheels turn freely, then go inside car and raise handbrake to the 4th click on hand brake.then tighten the adjuster nut untill you get slight resistence as the rear wheels are turned. then when you raise handbrake it should fully lock the rear wheels on the 7th click of handbrake.
then release handbrake and cheack that wheels turn freely by hand.
antiks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to antiks For This Useful Post:
Old 13th December 2006, 15:23   #4
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

as said above

but isnt when it clicks the 3rd time it should be done

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 16:44   #5
boz
Saxperience Post Whore

Location: somewhere on this planet, doing something..... around northumberland or in the middle of the sea
Car(s): Mk2 VTS track mk1 turbo vts scooby engined 2CV
boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!

yep, for the mot test. the hand brake should hold the weight of the car when it has 3 clicks.

it can be fiddly to adjust and you will need to chock the car up at the rear and or on axle stands, the tighten the adjuster under the car. you could take it to the likes of kwick fit or national and the will do it for you in a few mins. i have had mine done for free at both of the mentioned places.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:31   #6
Tretty
L-plater

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 1.6 VTR
Tretty is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
try this.
Turn on engine, put foot on brake.
Push handbrake button in, and continously pull up handbrake til you feel tension then repeat.
does this actually work?
Tretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 16:33   #7
Howard-H

Howard-H is on a distinguished road

VTR 51 Plate......Nope!
Howard-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 23:33   #8
dexter
Infrequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 97white vtd, 02silver vtr, 01blacked out vts
dexter is on a distinguished road

jack up back of car and take drums of. 32mm bolt. pull handbrake up slowly until u hear rufly 3 clicks let handbrake of then put drums back on and it should be ajusted. sumtimes handbrake doesnt ajust up as ajusters usualy wear. had 4 saxos with woren ajusters. its a pain
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 11:54   #9
funkysax
L-plater
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR 2003
funkysax is on a distinguished road

Justchanged rear pads. Tiny amount of drag. Hot pad smell sometimes. Do i REALLY have to remive the exhaughst to adjust this? Rear locks on one click. Is it dangerous atm? Thanks
funkysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 12:18   #10
funkysax
L-plater
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR 2003
funkysax is on a distinguished road

You can tell I posted that on my phone eh?
Its a 1.6 VTR 03 plate. Seriuosly, guys exhaust off the adjust hand brake??? What sort of muppet would design that.... Oh yeah its a shitroen
Wifey doing 100 miles on motorway today, just check my pad change and though I might not have screwed in the pistone enough (another weird design I didnt know about). BTW even with a (very) slight drag the rear pads are not bedded in yet (changed 2 weeks or so ago).
Then realised about the one click hand brake.
Thanks peeps
funkysax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 09:49   #11
skymon

skymon is on a distinguished road
Default handbrake cables uneven tensions

Can anyone shed some light as to why my handbrake cables are seriously uneven tensions, and hpw to adjust individually?
skymon is offline   Reply With Quote