Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 7th November 2012, 21:10   #1
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road
Default Quick audio question... weird ?

Bought Active PA sub and can't get it up and running. Although i think i know why. Just need some confirmation please...... Mixer is DDM4000.

Plugged XLR cable from " Sub out " on mixer to " XLR Input " on SUB.

Changed relevant settings on mixer to send low frequency to SUB OUT.

BUT.... I'm using the phono "OUT A" for the main signal. NOT XLR left n Right.

Does this picture below, suggest to anyone that I MUST use "XLR left" "XLR right".... THEN the "SUB OUT" All together..... for sub out to work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 03:09   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm using the phono "OUT A" for the main signal.

No disrespect but http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...w1CqcsACHpDHKA

If you have a sub, plug it in the sub out and nothing else. Adjust your relevant settings, if it doesn't workout then it might be a mixer issue. Keep in mind a sub out is controlled by the master out knob.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 09:00   #3
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
No disrespect but http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...w1CqcsACHpDHKA

If you have a sub, plug it in the sub out and nothing else. Adjust your relevant settings, if it doesn't workout then it might be a mixer issue. Keep in mind a sub out is controlled by the master out knob.
Manu... with all due respect im not frickin stupid. Ive looked through the manual......... the problem I have is the sub does not put any sound out when connected to sub out.

Aside from something being nackered, i thought it might be due to needing to use the Left Right XLR aswell as sub, for it to work. I only came to this conclusion because nothing else works.

So its either the above, OR said sub or Mixers output is fucked.
Quote:
Old 8th November 2012, 09:12   #4
mechsman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i SX 3dr, 106 (engine swap under way), p
mechsman is on a distinguished road

I know nothing about these mixers in particular and only a little about audio, but, could you not try using a phono to XLR lead and plugging it into your phono out with a splitter and a low pass inline filter on the sub lead after the splitter? or even just into the phono out to start with. That would at least tell you whether the sub is banjaxed or not.

My setup for the rack amp I'm in the process of fixing (1 dead channel), currently goes 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono converter, twin phono to twin xlr lead, twin xlrs into the amp, two amp channels out (currently only 1 as the B channel melted it's power connector!) to JBL 2x 8inch sub control box, sub control box has 4 output connectors for satellite speakers.
mechsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mechsman For This Useful Post:
Old 8th November 2012, 09:41   #5
wheeler
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): VTR with VTS engine
wheeler is on a distinguished road

have you tried a different cable (rule out knackered cable)? When was the sub last known to be working (i.e. recently or have you bought it in the knowledge that it's working)? Have you got anything else you could send signal to the sub with (make sure it's not a knackered sub-out from the mixer)?

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs etc. just wondering if you've tried trouble shooting

Coming: Cold air feed, 266mm/23mm brake setup, oil cooler, bucket seats, spray interior and more weight saving..
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheeler For This Useful Post:
Old 8th November 2012, 10:32   #6
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

I bought the sub brand new it all powers up fine.

Basically the sub has its own Frequency setting... made sure thats at an audible point..... made sure the SUB OUT on mixer is activated by setting it to crossover mode... so anything below 150 hz from the full range signal, is sent to SUB OUT........ sub puts out nothing still . Tried a known working XLR cable too.

I'm gonna try the XLR left XLR right and SUB OUT together...... utilizing all three outputs of OUT A........ then if that dont work somethings definitely fubared i think.

I'd rather the Sub be broke than my mixer..... cause the sub can be immediately replaced but the mixer is well out of warranty.
Quote:
Old 8th November 2012, 10:37   #7
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechsman View Post
I know nothing about these mixers in particular and only a little about audio, but, could you not try using a phono to XLR lead and plugging it into your phono out with a splitter and a low pass inline filter on the sub lead after the splitter? or even just into the phono out to start with. That would at least tell you whether the sub is banjaxed or not.

My setup for the rack amp I'm in the process of fixing (1 dead channel), currently goes 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono converter, twin phono to twin xlr lead, twin xlrs into the amp, two amp channels out (currently only 1 as the B channel melted it's power connector!) to JBL 2x 8inch sub control box, sub control box has 4 output connectors for satellite speakers.
Probably could mate but i'm a little short of time haha was hoping to get it working for tomorrow. If this cable i've got in, doesnt work then ill just be using my PA speakers for the gig...... Not end of the world but i would have liked to use the sub.
Quote:
Old 8th November 2012, 10:42   #8
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
have you tried a different cable (rule out knackered cable)? When was the sub last known to be working (i.e. recently or have you bought it in the knowledge that it's working)? Have you got anything else you could send signal to the sub with (make sure it's not a knackered sub-out from the mixer)?

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs etc. just wondering if you've tried trouble shooting
No no, that's fine mate thanks for your input....TBH with this cable I will get today what I can do is set Output B as mono..... then send that full range signal to the SUB XLR input ....... see if that works. As i definitely know Output B works.

I fuckin pray it works as it will sound awesome then !
Quote:
Old 8th November 2012, 10:54   #9
wheeler
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): VTR with VTS engine
wheeler is on a distinguished road

lol good luck mate - I'd be suspecting possibly the output from the mixer then maybe? Was the mixer bought new? If so has the sub-out ever been used/known to be working? Are there any other switches relating to sub-out? I.e. is it likely that you activate sub-out so that it diverts the low frequencies to the sub, to avoid doubling up and also sending bass through to your main speakers?

Coming: Cold air feed, 266mm/23mm brake setup, oil cooler, bucket seats, spray interior and more weight saving..
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 11:17   #10
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
lol good luck mate - I'd be suspecting possibly the output from the mixer then maybe? Was the mixer bought new? If so has the sub-out ever been used/known to be working? Are there any other switches relating to sub-out? I.e. is it likely that you activate sub-out so that it diverts the low frequencies to the sub, to avoid doubling up and also sending bass through to your main speakers?
If you read my post further up mate i explained that yes, there is a crossover setting in the mixer that sends the sub frequency to the sub out.

You are right though, ive never used the sub out before so i can not be sure if it works.... If it doesnt, ill try what i said...... Phono from out B to XLR in Sub..... see if it even picks anything up.
Quote:
Old 17th November 2012, 09:12   #11
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlvtr88 View Post
Manu... with all due respect im not frickin stupid. Ive looked through the manual......... the problem I have is the sub does not put any sound out when connected to sub out.

Aside from something being nackered, i thought it might be due to needing to use the Left Right XLR aswell as sub, for it to work. I only came to this conclusion because nothing else works.

So its either the above, OR said sub or Mixers output is fucked.
No worries, I know you're not freakin stoooopid. The next thing is to test again with different cables and swap your decks around etc. Once you did a full troubleshoot and ruled out everything else (including the sub), then you know if the mixer is faulty or not. That's purely a matter of not putting the cart before the horse.

Not to sound negative or anything, but behringer are known for huge unreliability issues and questionable quality on their whole range of mixers.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote