Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 19th October 2018, 03:53   #1
P3RRY

Car(s): Saxo 8V VTR (02) BMW 218i (56)
P3RRY is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Whats that noise?

Hi Guys,

I own a Saxo 8v VTR 02 plate.
I have had no performance changes just visual.

Recently I have heard a noise which sounds like it is coming from the engine bay when I go 30+ MPH. The noise is hard to explain but its like a loud humming (its not engine revs). I read something earlier which I feel is the best description, A fog horn in the distance.

After reading some threads and visiting other websites I feel like it got be and engine mount or the outer CV joint.

Anyone that knows or has had this problem hit me up with it could be and solutions. Any good websites for replacment parts would be good too.
P3RRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 05:40   #2
andrew_wright

andrew_wright is on a distinguished road

Wheel bearing most likely

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
andrew_wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 08:06   #3
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

Does sound quite like wheel bearing. Usually if its a front one, the noise can be worsened by cornering - ie if it's the drivers side then a left hand corner might make it worse, passenger one a right hand corner. This is because additional loading is placed on the outside wheel during cornering.

Don't rule out a rear bearing though, I have a rear bearing away on my 306 and I thought the sound was coming from the front. I had my back seats out and the boot emptied recently to pick some stuff up and I could then hear all sorts of whirring and groaning noises coming from the rear because all the sound insulation of the interior back there was removed.

You can also raise the wheels and feel for play or roughness in the wheel bearings, though you don't always feel that unless it is far gone.
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 14:59   #4
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

I do not reccomend this, so if you crash it's on you. I would wait for the noise to start on a nice straight bit of road with no traffic, then dip the clutch and see if the noise changes, maybe turn the engine off (Don't let the key come out or the steering will lock and you will die). Gently press the brake pedal. See if the noise is more pronounced on a left or right bend. That is what I would do to try and narrow down the issue. Also see if 40 in 3rd makes more of a noise that 4th or 5th.
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote