Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Saxperience Community Related > Suggestions / Improvements / Feedback

Suggestions / Improvements / Feedback Tell us your ideas of how we can make Saxperience a better place. Also, if we are doing something right... let us know, so that we can do more of it!

Old 5th October 2006, 13:52   #1
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!
Thumbs up Notify if your name is mentioned/you are quoted?

Hey

Had a quick search and dont think this has been suggested yet.

Similar to how the 'new post in a thread' works, i.e. the thread name is in bold when there are new posts since your last visit.

How about if someone quotes you/types your name. a similar function happens to the thread title, perhaps a font colour change. To notify you that you have been mentioned/quoted in a thread since your last visit to it?

What are peoples thoughts?

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 13:53   #2
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk1
Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

top idea really but couldnt people just search to see if their name had been posted?

sorry just understood the last bit then.

Do you mean as in an automatic thing?
Billog_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 13:55   #3
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

That would also return every thread you had started or replied to, it would only work for a new thread which you havnt read and someone has mentioned you name. Not to mention you would have to search regularly for it to be of any use.

Old 5th October 2006, 14:03   #4
Leo
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 106 GTI
Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!

Sounds like a good idea, sounds slightly parranoid though (joking)

But would be cool like, a little PM saying "suchanssuch has quoted a post you made click here to see the thread"
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:10   #5
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

a PM is a bit cumbersome though and would clog you inbox in a matter of days. Just something simple, ill do an example

Ok so in this example, im browsing the General Chat Forum and i can see a few bold blue topics which have had new replies in them but there are also 2 topics highlighted red (meaning my name has been mentioned)

The top one there i have previously posted a response in so it may be someone quoting me or asking for a followup to something i have said.

In the 2nd one there my name has been mentioned but iv never posted a message in the thread so it might be someone quoting me from another thread or someone might have asked
'who has a black saxo on standard wheels'
and someone else has replied 'i think Mystic does' etc

You get me?

Last edited by Mystic; 5th October 2006 at 14:32. Reason: Example added
Old 5th October 2006, 14:30   #6
Leo
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 106 GTI
Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!Leo is as cool as a cucumber!

I thought about the pm box matter but I dont surpose that much stuff gets quoted. I guess you could have a system like the rep one where it shows you the links and you can just view/delete maybe
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 16:10   #7
Markp
SAXP Code Monkey

Mark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud ofMark has much to be proud of

I think processing every post for your name would put an extreme load on the system and I'm not sure if the benefit would outweigh the cost

Also, who is to say that just because your name is in a thread that it is related to you. Great if your username is MadMaxSaxoKiller12345 (fairly obvious who that is) but what happens if your username is automatic or general or saxo? Many threads would be highlighted for those users and it would have very little benefit. (A simplified example, but hopefully demonstrates my point).

If people want to see wherever their name is mentioned then I'd just use the search to find it rather than forcing a system on everyone (and the system grinding to a halt).

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 16:16   #8
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

I dont really think this will add value to your use of the forums...

It would also be fairly difficult to get working reliably.

For example... if you mentioned something to do with 'CampDavid'. How many people always refer to him as CampDavid? More often than not, people will just say Dave, or ****

This would work if linked to quoted messages.. but I dont see the point really?
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 17:21   #9
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Also, who is to say that just because your name is in a thread that it is related to you. Great if your username is MadMaxSaxoKiller12345 (fairly obvious who that is) but what happens if your username is automatic or general or saxo? Many threads would be highlighted for those users and it would have very little benefit. (A simplified example, but hopefully demonstrates my point).

If people want to see wherever their name is mentioned then I'd just use the search to find it rather than forcing a system on everyone (and the system grinding to a halt).
I dont think there are many people with such general names but i suppose that would cause problems for those people. The system could be turned on or off though in your user preferences if it was causing you bother or you dont like the extra colours turning up while you browse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
I dont really think this will add value to your use of the forums...

It would also be fairly difficult to get working reliably.

For example... if you mentioned something to do with 'CampDavid'. How many people always refer to him as CampDavid? More often than not, people will just say Dave, or ****

This would work if linked to quoted messages.. but I dont see the point really?
I can see potential for value to be added, particularly in cases where you have given a detailed answer to someones problem and they have requested more information from you but you dont check back to the thread, or the thread has been filled with other answers so u miss the origional guy asking for more help, or even someone else who has replied and may have a similar problem, they could use your name to draw your attention back towards the thread.

In situations where i have seen similar questions to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
'who has a black saxo on standard wheels'
and someone else has replied 'i think Mystic does'
The user has always quoted the other persons full username, so that it can be searched.

The only problems i see would be;
The extra load on the servers which only you guys have figures for so its up to you whether you think it will work.

As far as general names go, mine is fairly general and i would still put up with 'Mystic' being mentioned evey now and then. If the feature was disabled by default then only those who think it would benefit them would use it which also would reduce server load.

Anyway i suppose it depends how many people think it would be of use to them, how easy Mark recons it could be done and whether the servers will handle the strain.

Mystic

Old 5th October 2006, 17:27   #10
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

The main benefit seems to be in knowing when someone has replied to an existing thread that you made a contribution in... in this case you can easily keep track of new posts using the 'subscribe to this thread' option.
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 17:48   #11
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Nice to know you are always thinking of me. **** means big boy to Simo. He loves it
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 12:54   #12
Billog_VTR
Regular Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk1
Billog_VTR will become famous soon enoughBillog_VTR will become famous soon enough

Dave, how did you manage to know you were mentioned in this thread?! lol

You obviously spend enough time on here to know when you have been mentioned anyways!!
Billog_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 12:55   #13
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

I'm a part time Jedi my friend
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 13:02   #14
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Quote:
The main benefit seems to be in knowing when someone has replied to an existing thread that you made a contribution in... in this case you can easily keep track of new posts using the 'subscribe to this thread' option.
Yeh that would be the main benefit, subscribing to threads works for big/important threads if your willing to keep checking them. The system above would have a much more general/daily use and notfy you without causing you to do any aditional clicking/searching.

If it were in place now, when adsayer gets online he would see quite a few red threads but as it stands they will all probably go unnoticed to him. (which is probably a good thing for me )