Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 17th October 2018, 21:07   #1
Robbog1981

Robbog1981 is on a distinguished road
Default Help!!! steering issue on VTR

I have a 03 VTR and the steering has started to make a loud clunk mostly when turning right. It originally started a few months ago but is was not that loud and it only happened every now and then but since i had a major service done a week or so ago it has got worse and the clunk has got louder. Any suggestions what it could be or what i could do to fix it?
Robbog1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 00:46   #2
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

As with all clunks, you need to start searching for the source. Could just be a track rod end, or it could be a balljoint or even a strut top mount. A common source of such clunks when turning the steering is the top mount. There is a bearing between the top spring pan and the rubber mount which allows the spring to rotate with the steering. If these get sticky then the spring can jump round rather than rotate smoothly and cause a clunk.

Have someone view the spring while you turn the steering to see if it is turning stop start / jumping round, in which case you may need to replace the bearing / top mount. To check track rod end, get the wheel off the ground (safely - i.e. on an axle stand) and then try to rock the wheel when grabbing at the 3 and 9O'clock positions. You can also put your fingers on the track rod end- pinch the pin through the rubber boot and rock the wheel as described. Usually if it is the track rod end you will feel it here.

For a balljoint, same thing -wheel in the air, and then grab at 6 and 12 O'clock positions. Rock the wheel and see if you feel it. Again fingers pinching the pin of the ball joint through the rubber can help to identify it. Could also be the anti-roll bar drop link.

Just a case of working through the possibilities methodically.
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 15:05   #3
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

Something I would consider is getting a friend to work the steering lock to lock whilst you have your head poking around the engine bay/wheel arches. Get 2 pieces of plastic to put under the tyres so you don't create a flat spot. Lid from a tub of roses or quality street for example. If you haven't got Jack's or axle stands it could help you figure out the issue. May only make the noise under weight too. Maybe get a bit of garden hose, about 1 metre of hose should do, put one end to your ear and point the other end at the part you want to listen to. When you find the clunk the hose will let you know.
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 17:33   #4
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the spring shifting when you turn. I had the same issue on mine. Although I never really found a good solution to fix it because it still used to do it even after replacing top mount bearings.
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote