Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 18th August 2018, 19:27   #1
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road
Default Disappearing coolant??

I've recently done my timing belt, water pump, tensioner and alternator belt on my saxo. I filled up the system with water after that job because I'd forgotten to get coolant. After a couple of days I used some coolant flush that you let it get to temperature and run it for a short while. Afterwards I ran clean water through the coolant system via a hose pipe into the top hose up to the thermostat and also into the bottom hose and out through the two bleed valves. I also flushed the radiator until it was perfectly clear. I immediately filled the system to the correct level using the bleed valves and topped up the reservoir to the max line. After a drive I did a check and top up once cool.

After a couple of times I thought I'd gotten it spot on then the bleed screw in the thermostat snapped off and I had to limp the car home gently with the head of the screw put back in. No dramas, got home from work and the coolant was still just below maximum the next morning.

Went and got a new screw, extracted the broken part and fit the new bleed screw and bled the system again. All looked fine. Just checked the level before heading home from work today and it's most of the way down the radiator again. I've topped up and checked the bleed valves again.

I can see no leaks from anywhere whether the car is hot or cold when running. No steam etc.

Is it just a pain to get it properly full and requires a few top ups or do I need to dig deeper?

Many thanks in advance. Sorry for long post.
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 19:54   #2
docquaker

docquaker is on a distinguished road

Just checking in for a listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docquaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 20:10   #3
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Just got home and had another look. Bad news is something has failed. Good news is it's the radiator which is leaking. I got very worried on the drive home that it may have been the head gasket. But no. Slightly steamy around the radiator when I shone my phone torch in the area and I made a video with my phone with the light on so I could get a better look. It's leaking at the back right at the bottom and there's coolant in the fins too. When will the car maintenance list ever end!?
Old 21st August 2018, 14:12   #4
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Radiator swapped in ten minutes for £37 brand new and so far so good!
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post: