Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 27th September 2007, 22:04   #41
Oroblram
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

Car(s): Renault Clio 200 Cup
Oroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the rough

2x 7k RAID 0 drives are faster then a single 10k drive, much much faster.
Oroblram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 08:24   #42
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

Okay,
n00b..
what do I need in order to setup this RAID 2 x 7,200 HDD
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 09:02   #43
Oroblram
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

Oroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the roughOroblram is a jewel in the rough

Get a SATA Raid supporting motherboard and buy 2 matching SATA hard drives.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:03   #44
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

one momento...

just been speaking to someone and they think they 10k rpm HDD will be quicker?

Last edited by Karl; 28th September 2007 at 09:22.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:32   #45
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

Okayyy
right
the Motherboard I was going to buy supports RAID 0.

I can get a 10,000 RPM 150GB 16mb cache HDD for 144 quid

orrrrr......

2 x 250 GB 7,200 RPM 16mb Cache HDD's for 47 quid each and run them in RAID 0.

Someone please explain to me why that will be faster?
Old 28th September 2007, 09:33   #46
Oroblram
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

Not even close, in Raid you can read and write from both drives at the same time pretty much almost doubling the speed compared to a single drive.
As long as the seek times are close the raid strip drives will blow a 10k drive out of the water.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:34   #47
Oroblram
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

Basic math, 7500rpm x2 = 15000rpm VS 10000rpm..

Much cheaper too.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:36   #48
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Nah, id say the raid0 setup is quicker.

For data read & write the slowest component by a huge margin is the HDD, which is why computers use RAM. Even if the disc spins faster it still suggeres the issues of needing to jumpback & forth from the inside to the outside of the disc, which takes time. In RAID0 2 discs are acting as a single one so both hard drives are working to retreive the data.

I've never acctually seen any bench marks comparing the 2 but the old saying goes "2 heads are better than 1"

EDIT: beaten to it

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 09:38   #49
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?WD-2500KS

they serious I gotta buy the cables too?
-___-
Old 28th September 2007, 09:46   #50
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124735

Not quite the same product as they done seem to stock it but, use eBuyer

You generally get your sata cables with the motherboard & a new PSU will have the sata power plugs too. If you need to buy more of either though ebuyer sells sata cables for a couple quid & molex-to-sata power plogs

EDIT: applogies for my typos this morning, im lying in bed using a stupid awkward mini keyboard Has a joystick for a mouse though, good fun lol

Old 28th September 2007, 09:49   #51
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

pow pow,
Soulless' machine = monster

When I get it...lol.
Old 28th September 2007, 09:56   #52
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Lol, aye the good news is, i done 4 years ago, what your doing now & im still using that same machine, only expansion has been more HDDs & various differet monitor arrangements!

Machine cost about 1500 initially but its lasted & still plays a few new games although all i really play is Halo & NFSMW

Old 28th September 2007, 09:59   #53
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

True true,
buy the best you can and itll last much longer.
Always done that with computers...

Cant wait to be busting out on a 32" screen! woop woop!
Old 28th September 2007, 10:04   #54
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

U gettin a 32"?

My current screens a 22" but iv hooked my dads pc up to their 32" plasma in his room so he can watch movies n stuff on it. We got a big telly in the lounge too which i can plug me laptop into which is nice.

Projector all the way though, thats next on my list!

Old 28th September 2007, 10:07   #55
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

I have a 32" LCD HD TV yes

The White Samsung you'd see in Currys and comet etc..

its nice and that,
need to check the resolution do I not?

to see If I'll be able to run the biggest res possible (with graphics card)
Old 28th September 2007, 10:30   #56
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

yeh, you will need to use the DVI port on your gfx card too, so if the tv dont have a DVI port you'll need to get a DVI-HDMI cable. (HDMI & DVI are the same thing except that the HDMI cable carries audio too) thats the situation i'll probs be in if i get a projector.

In the lounge we have an HD 44" LCD & upstairs is a 32" plasma (quite old) but neither of them i could use as a primary monitor. Since their main function is a TV, i think the top resolution they use is about 1024x768 & you struggle to read text on them. Ace for movies and game though, not for word processing / forum abusing.

i'll go double check on the tv in the lounge in a min though cus i think it might acctually be OK for text & i'll let you know.

You planning on using it as your main monitor?

Old 28th September 2007, 10:39   #57
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

it has a DVI port on the tele mate.

and yes, will be the monitor.

Will mainly be using it for playing Lineage II,
maybe a bit of Sax-P and eBay.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:41   #58
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

When are you ordering the gear then Karl?

Whats the final decision on spec?
Old 28th September 2007, 10:54   #59
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Ah, yeh it will be fine mate, our old plasma is just out dated. The HD LCD in the lounge is only plugged in using a VGA cable & it looks perfect, yours will be even better with a DVI cable. Dispite its size though it still only goes upto 1024x768.

Obv its a bit clearer in person where you dont see the scan lines

Your bro will be well jealous

Old 28th September 2007, 10:56   #60
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!

touch wood im a 1280x1024,
but even still that looks quality mate,
Loving me oversized in my blobby suit.