Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 2nd January 2011, 00:16   #1
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

blackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really nice
Default Tv Calibration

Has anybody had their TV professionally calibrated and how much did it cost?
The reason being, just purchased a new TV and it's picture is no where near as it was in the shop
blackeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:24   #2
mlawlan69
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): MCS R53 S/C 16v furiooo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
mlawlan69 is on a distinguished road

are you feeding it the optimum picture (i.e HD) that would make a massive difference.

never heard of pro tv calibrations BUT had a google and found this, seems expensive lol.

http://www.homecinemaengineering.com...libration.html
mlawlan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:47   #3
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

blackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really niceblackeyedgirl is just really nice

Yea it is but I can understand why it's done. I'm getting motion blur and ghosting a bit, it's annoying grrr!
Old 2nd January 2011, 03:43   #4
Si-Gore
Established Member

Car(s): Fiat Puno (scrapped) Saxo Furio (sold)
Si-Gore is on a distinguished road

Before calling in a pro to do this at a high cost, have you tried messing around with the picture settings? They are probably just not set up right.

Pics of this blur would help to know what you're on about more clear.
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:44   #5
Davo106
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region Member

Car(s): Megane R26
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Davo106 is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKR6ofUZBQ

Might help
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:08   #6
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

As said i would give it a go first, nothing to loose!
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:01   #7
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

use any DVD featuring the THX optimizer.

guide here: http://wesleytech.com/how-to-use-thx...eo-tests/2280/

it is available on all LucasArts discs (Star wars, Indiana Jones etc). Also available on limited edition THX discs such as T2:special edition

list of movies featuring the optimizer here: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...fied-releases/
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:36   #8
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawlan69 View Post
never heard of pro tv calibrations BUT had a google and found this, seems expensive lol.

http://www.homecinemaengineering.com...libration.html
Quote:
Charges

Basic Video Service £90.00

Basic Video Service and ISF calibration of up to 2 memories (see details below) :

Plasma / LCD screen £250.00
Direct view TV £175.00
Rear projection TV £250.00
Projector from £250.00

Additional memories (each) £40.00

Memories - many display devices are able to store individual settings for each input and / or signal type and each has to be calibrated accordingly. Some source devices (DVD players etc.) and external processors / scalers also have programmable memories. Please contact us with a full list of your equipment before booking an ISF calibration to receive a firm price quotation.

Travel
Travel is charged from Telford in Shropshire at the rate of £0.45 per mile (return journey).

VAT
All prices shown on this website are EXCLUSIVE of VAT.
FFF that, con of the century

Quote:
I'm getting motion blur and ghosting a bit
What cables do you use?
Old 4th January 2011, 06:59   #9
Cammy
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 8 (83%)
Cammy is on a distinguished road

By the description of motion blur and ghosting, im taking a good guess and saying its not your TV, its your ariel signal(s)

If you live in an area where getting every channel is limited or hard to get - then this will be your reason why, What systems are you using to watch TV?

Sky? Freesat? freeview?

If your using Sky - there shouldnt really be much problem with that, maby your dish could be knocked out of allignment, try it on a simple channel like BBC1 - as thats a channel thats easily picked up, if thats fine, try channel 5 or DAVE, they are 2 of the more "harder to get" channels

Freesat - this is taken off a sky dish, so once again same abouve.

Freeview - Try channel 21 (should be dave if i remember correcly) thats THE hardest channel to get on freeview without freezing, also again try easy channels alike BBC1

Many people beleive that it their TV or the installer that put your dish or ariel in was a useless fucker, but in real terms - not everywhere in the uk is suitable for TV, if i go 2 miles away from my house, people struggle to get basic channels and complain about it - its tough luck - nothing that you can do about it.

Was an installer for a few years for scotlands largest electronics dep.

Edit; You dont live in a flat do you? as i will have a completly different answer if you do. but ill wait till you respond as its allot more complicated than abouve as it may be a problem within the whole tennents block.

Last edited by Cammy; 4th January 2011 at 07:02.
Cammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:58   #10
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

I live in an apartment above a shop. I have heard really good reviews about this tv (supposedly really sharp, perfect picture) but I'm dissapointed with the picture. Channels vary, some are ok, some seem pixelated and it's annoying as fuck - is that the tv? I'm worried...
Some are ghosting and have motion blur, then other channels like horror, reality and action are just a really crap picture.

I've looked into getting virgin but who's to say it will solve the problem?
I have also just been quoted by a proffessional calibration guy and I'm looking at £300.

Please help!
Old 4th January 2011, 15:01   #11
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
FFF that, con of the century

What cables do you use?
That's the guy I just rang, he quoted me £250 plus VAT.
We have a dish on the front, with a wire leading through the wall which is plugged into a freesat box. HDMI connects the freesat to the TV.

Thanks guys, help is much appreciated.
Seriously contemplating getting the TV replaced because I'm worried it could be that (28 days return) Don't know what to do.

Last edited by blackeyedgirl; 4th January 2011 at 15:09.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:44   #12
Manu
Saxperience Addict

if the problem occurred after getting a new TV, then I would return it.

Is your dish clean?
Old 4th January 2011, 18:06   #13
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

So it could be the TV?
As for the dish I don't really know, it was here when we moved in, as was the wire through the wall so we just connected the box and bobs your uncle!
Old 4th January 2011, 21:43   #14
Manu
Saxperience Addict

could be the TV or could well not be. Play a DVD/Bluray on it and find out instantly if you have a picture problem. According to your description:
Quote:
Channels vary, some are ok, some seem pixelated
could be a dirty/faulty dish, or a dirty/faulty head, could be a faulty box, could be a dodgy wire. Your dish might have moved too, half a degree is enough to lose signal as it has to be pointing perfectly towards the satellite.
Old 5th January 2011, 06:30   #15
Cammy
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 8 (83%)
Cammy is on a distinguished road

Dirty dish wouldnt make a differance mate, dishes work fine even when there covered with rust.

Scince you live in an apartment and there will be other tennants, you will share either an ariel, or the gear (cant remember the correct name for it) that receives everything, this will be normally in the loft that can be accessed either in one of the flats, or at the very top of the stair case (or usually behind a pannel on the wall)

Best thing to do is ask any of the other tennants if they have a problem with their TV's doing the same, as im presuming your old TV did the same aswell? (at this point, id be calling the shop you bought it from to just try and clarify whats wrong - most shops have a dedicated team of engineers or a subcontracted company that deal with their installations) if your old TV was doing the ghosting and pixelating - then this is the receivers and distributors etc id personally say, so best to contact your landlord and ask him to get someone in to sort it, because theres about 4 different parts that YOU dont see between your TV and the ariel in a normal block of flats, and these usually go every year or two.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:24   #16
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

We only have one neighbour as we live in an apartments above a shop. The people next door actually don't even have an aerial in the wall (the socket thing) we do, but it doesn't work, that's why we had freesat because there was already a dish on our outside wall with a wire through the wall (the last tenants had sky) so when we had freesat we didn't have to get a dish installed we just plugged the box in and it worked straight away.

The TV we had before the last was a little samsung lcd think it's 22 inches, never had a problem with that but then again it is smaller so maybe you wouldn't see.

My girlfriend has been to curry's today, the TV is getting picked up tomorrow and swapped for another one (I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the actual TV) Thought it's best to say now whilst it has it's 28 days. If it happenes again I can rest assure it's not the TV and then contemplate getting Virgin.

Expect me back tomorrow for another rant maybe..?
Thanks for all your help
Old 5th January 2011, 22:22   #17
ad_77
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mx5, Rx8
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ad_77 is on a distinguished road

What size screen is it? Are you using freesat hd or sd? How close are you to the TV, the closer you are if its a very large screen the worse it will look
ad_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 23:30   #18
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_77 View Post
What size screen is it? Are you using freesat hd or sd? How close are you to the TV, the closer you are if its a very large screen the worse it will look
It's a 40 inch, we have freesat, 3 channels are HD - these are amazing however on the reviews everybody said that even the SD channels were good. To be honest we do sit quite close to he screen we were going to have the 32 inch but the 40 inch went down in the sale making it the same price as the 32 hence snapping up the 40 inch.
Old 5th January 2011, 23:35   #19
blackeyedgirl
Frequent Poster

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by blackeyedgirl; 5th January 2011 at 23:55.