Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 18th February 2009, 20:58   #1
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 1.1??
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!
Default metal rubbing/knocking? Now with vids. pg 2

Just had the car lowered 40mm on 14's... a metal knocking/rubbing noise at any speed has developed in the passenger footwell.. the handling isn't affected by it.. there's no wobbling or any change at all just this noise.

The bloke who fitted the dampers and springs thinks it may be the plastic inner arches.. but I can't see where exactly it's scrubbing.

It sounds more of a metal clunk now, I've checked the wishbone mounts inside the car and they're fine.. any heads up what it could be?

What i think it could be:
My cv joint has the tiniest hole but has grease left inside
Spring rubbing against something?
Tyre rubbing on inner arch.
Lower balljoint damaged (rubber has split)
Stut brace rubbing on the bonnet?

Just a bit annoying as I'm doing 120miles tomos.

Last edited by shooorn94; 26th February 2009 at 22:42.
shooorn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:24   #2
James_Skylit
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Prelude VTi VTEC 2.2 G5, Black 52 VTR
James_Skylit is on a distinguished road

Tommorow > volume up
James_Skylit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:26   #3
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Skylit View Post
Tommorow > volume up
love it, I'm used to rattles, just this one is a bit serious.

"Sean what was that huge clunk?"

*turns up stereo*

"WHAT CLUNK?"
Old 18th February 2009, 21:27   #4
andymiller_VTR
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): ep82 starlet gt turbo
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
andymiller_VTR is on a distinguished road

i think i am right in saying that depending on what springs you use sometimes the power steering pipe needs moved or fiddled slightly. Failing this check the usual things cv joints, drop links etc.
andymiller_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:32   #5
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

No pas buddy, ARB is fixed to the bottom arm so no droplinks neither. (mk1 1.1i) It's just over bumps though, not on smooth ground
Old 18th February 2009, 21:32   #6
saxokid100
Saxperience Addict
North Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Wickerd red VTS MK2, Two tone VTS MK2,vvc Metro..
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like something hasnt been fitted back on properly bud....
saxokid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:38   #7
andymiller_VTR
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): ep82 starlet gt turbo
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
andymiller_VTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid100 View Post
ye thats the only other thing i can think off. check everything is tight etc. could just be something really simple in the end.
andymiller_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 21:40   #8
saxokid100
Saxperience Addict
North Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Wickerd red VTS MK2, Two tone VTS MK2,vvc Metro..
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymiller_VTR View Post
ye thats the only other thing i can think off. check everything is tight etc. could just be something really simple in the end.
Check the big nut is tight which holds your hub to the drive shaft!! if they are loose they can make hell off a metal noise..........
saxokid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saxokid100 For This Useful Post:
Old 18th February 2009, 21:43   #9
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
I trust the guy who did it and have every confidence in his work, and I have done 105 miles since the work has been done, the noise came about/was noticeable when I pulled up to the girlfriends 15miles later after the job.

It's a tough noise to describe as it is only the left hand side and everything seems stiff. He's having the car off me again in a few weeks to lower the rear and fit a new beam I'll get him to check it then (if the noise is still there ) but I'd rather sort it sooner.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:45   #10
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Check the big nut is tight which holds your hub to the drive shaft!! if they are loose they can make hell off a metal noise..........
I, personally have a tendency to overtighten the bolt , will give it a check tomos

Just what I was thinking... tightened the ARB mount the other day... heard a rattling noise... two wheel bolts were loose!
Old 19th February 2009, 19:17   #11
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Default Update

110 miles later and it's rubbing still.

Checked out the hub nut.. extremely tight, checked everything was tight and it was as I expected it to be.

Removed the strut brace too, and the noise went away (was rubbing on the bonnet) but came back when I got to brum.

would the CV joint make a noise like this at any speed? I've had two go on me but neither have made any noise... maybe the lower balljoint on the wishbone is nackered?

I'm gunna have a wack at removing the arch liner over the weekend, any tips on how to avoid muck getting everywhere?

I've never heard of 14's rubbing on a 40mm drop on a 1.1i.. thats the thing.

Last edited by shooorn94; 19th February 2009 at 19:20.
shooorn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 19:27   #12
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 5 Door! Saxo 1.1
imydaking is on a distinguished road

i have similaire noise but my cars not lowered on mines its the front arb bush drivers side
imydaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2009, 20:33   #13
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

I'm upgrading to a vt arb asap but it's just sourcing a decent one atm... the mount is worn though thinking about it, it is nice and tight though with no excess play inside the mount.

Although I wasn't fixing anything... whenever you change something with a french car something else always needs sorting.... but I'm a bit OCD so like my car to be spot on, running how I want it to, although it never does
Old 19th February 2009, 21:45   #14
Badgersport
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 xsi 16v, Fiesta Tdci
iTrader Score: 20 (100%)
Badgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to behold

Sure its not the front wishbone rear bush (The one that is attached with 2 nuts inside the car) The bush can wear and become sloppy on the wishbone. When i took the wishbone off my 106 the rear bush actually dropped off.

These can cause a knocking esp on uneven surface

Worth a check

Ste

Last edited by Badgersport; 19th February 2009 at 21:48.
Badgersport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgersport For This Useful Post:
Old 19th February 2009, 23:26   #15
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Sounds similar will give them a thorough check over tomorrow cheers for that buddy..
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:02   #16
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Default Update, losing traction

Well the noise has got substantially worse I've narrowed it down to few things:
  1. ARB rubber mount
  2. Wishbone rear mount
  3. CV joint
  4. Gearbox mount (under battery)
  5. Lower balljoint

I'm going to upgrade and uprate parts until the problem is gone.

I've got a video aswell of the noise that I'll upload asap.
But today the wheel where the noise was coming from lost traction around a few bends, as though it was struggling for grip, in second gear so 20-35mph... only happened twice and shocked me... maybe excess play in a mount causing this?

Is it wise buying a whole wishbone or can the rear mount be bought and fitted easily at home with limited tools? Have a feeling its burn out/press out job.

Cheers.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:19   #17
Badgersport
Established Member

Badgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to beholdBadgersport is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooorn94 View Post
Well the noise has got substantially worse I've narrowed it down to few things:
  1. ARB rubber mount
  2. Wishbone rear mount
  3. CV joint
  4. Gearbox mount (under battery)
  5. Lower balljoint

I'm going to upgrade and uprate parts until the problem is gone.

I've got a video aswell of the noise that I'll upload asap.
But today the wheel where the noise was coming from lost traction around a few bends, as though it was struggling for grip, in second gear so 20-35mph... only happened twice and shocked me... maybe excess play in a mount causing this?

Is it wise buying a whole wishbone or can the rear mount be bought and fitted easily at home with limited tools? Have a feeling its burn out/press out job.

Cheers.
The rear bush can be bought seperatly but much easier to replace the wishbone which will include rear wishbone mount, front wishbone bush and also lower ball joint.

The rear wishbone bush requires some grinding to remove the metal sleeve that the rubber part of the bush sits on.

I am replacing my wishbones this week due to my ball joints shot.

Ste
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:27   #18
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum

Thought as much, best to replace the pair together or am I fine just doing the left, as the right is fine... I feel I am but just making sure.

Any particular make of wishbone you'd advise, kam reccomends lemforder at £49.50 from eurocarparts, which tbh isn't bad considerring it's around £10 for a balljoint £20 for pressing in, and however much for the rear mount at a garage

Thanks again ste.
Old 22nd February 2009, 22:35   #19
Badgersport
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooorn94 View Post
Thought as much, best to replace the pair together or am I fine just doing the left, as the right is fine... I feel I am but just making sure.

Any particular make of wishbone you'd advise, kam reccomends lemforder at £49.50 from eurocarparts, which tbh isn't bad considerring it's around £10 for a balljoint £20 for pressing in, and however much for the rear mount at a garage

Thanks again ste.
I would advise getting the pair replaced. If the one has started to wear and knock etc the other side won't be too far behind.

Tbh i just went on ebay and picked the most reasonably priced wishones. Exactly thats the way i looked at it. Best off getting a replacement wishbone as by time you have removed the wishbone, took it to a garage and had ball joint pressed in and out, new bushes put on its just as easy to buy new wishbones (If you are only looking for standard bushes)

No worries mate. Glad i could help.

Ste
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:31   #20
lharrowing
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Westcoast MK1
iTrader Score: 3 (80%)
lharrowing is on a distinguished road

my friend had a knocking noise on his car sounded like suspension turned out it was a wheelbearing how weird is that.
lharrowing is offline   Reply With Quote