Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 20th July 2015, 18:57   #1
strelleymagpie

Car(s): Saxo 1.0i First
strelleymagpie is on a distinguished road
Default Front driver's side speaker not working

I bought myself a Saxo at the weekend (well the other half went and picked it up for me) and have only just noticed that the driver's side front speaker doesn't seem to work. I've tried changing balance and fade - the other 3 speakers work perfectly but not a peep out of the above. Have tried taking the stereo out and checking the plugs and even tried with a different stereo, all seems fine there with no loose connections, so am I to assume it's either a wiring problem somewhere on the way to the speaker, or a problem with the speaker itself? I've never really had much experience with in car entertainment so I'm sort of lost for what to try next.
strelleymagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 20:05   #2
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

The speakers are riveted in so you'll need to drill the rivets out to check. The multiplugs don't usually give much grief so its likely the speaker itself is dead. They're 13cm diameter, if its a mk1 anything citroen peugeot up to 99/00 will have the same yellow plug. After those years its a smaller black and blue one. If you have a scrappy nearby you're bound to find some that will fit in the rear doors of a xsara/406 5 door, or obviously another saxo if you take something to get the rivets out.

Alternatively fit a nice aftermarket set
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:34   #3
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

I got the same issue,plug behind the speaker is fine,the speaker is not the problem as I have spares but they all don't work,connections behind stereo is fine as well the settings and the little 10A fuse integrated...don't know what else to check other than the fuses in the passenger side and tracking back the speaker cable from the door to the stereo...
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 05:29   #4
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
I got the same issue,plug behind the speaker is fine,the speaker is not the problem as I have spares but they all don't work,connections behind stereo is fine as well the settings and the little 10A fuse integrated...don't know what else to check other than the fuses in the passenger side and tracking back the speaker cable from the door to the stereo...
Last thing to do is take stereo and speaker out, take a multimeter and some wire and bridge one side, then do a continuity test. If you get nothing there will be a break in the wiring
Old 7th August 2015, 18:37   #5
strelleymagpie

Car(s): Saxo 1.0i First
strelleymagpie is on a distinguished road

Have discovered the problem.... the speaker connections in the ISO plug of the car itself seem to be loose, so I think the only thing I can do is take the plug off and directly crimp or solder the wires together to give a solid connection. Obviously this may cause problems in the future if i chose to upgrade the head unit but at the moment I'm very happy with the one I've got.
strelleymagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 20:52   #6
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelleymagpie View Post
Have discovered the problem.... the speaker connections in the ISO plug of the car itself seem to be loose, so I think the only thing I can do is take the plug off and directly crimp or solder the wires together to give a solid connection. Obviously this may cause problems in the future if i chose to upgrade the head unit but at the moment I'm very happy with the one I've got.
quicker way is to buy a brand new ISO loom from halfords or the like. then methodically chop wires into the new loom.

it is possible as well to fit new ends into the plugs (on both sides) but its fiddly enough on a bench nevermind in the car!