Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Playstation Chat
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Playstation Chat Please use this forum to discuss Playstation related topics.

Old 5th January 2011, 18:32   #1
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MG ZR 1.4
TheVtrKid is on a distinguished road
Default Best router for gaming?

I have a Netgear WNR834B rangemax wireless router for my ps3, xbox and PC. Xbox and PC work fine, but i keep getting disconnected halfway through any game online on the PS3. Phoned playstation themselves, they told me to put it into dmz wich didn't work, then suggested maybe getting another router, just to eliminate that possibility. So i'm gonna look into it, whats the best router for gaming, preferable under £40 don't really want to go much over that. Just want to be able to play online without any fricking problems
Old 5th January 2011, 18:48   #2
J222JRA
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Westfield
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
J222JRA is on a distinguished road

Is it not your actual connection thats breaking down?? Could be something silly like a fault on the phone line or even a faulty dsl filter.
J222JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 19:02   #3
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

i don't think its my connection, i have 95% signal strength at the lowest i seen is 82% and when i get kicked from the games online, im still online, it just kicks me from the game im playing saying connection error. It goes through the virgin media modem not a phone line. And whats a dsl filter?

Edit: plus i phoned virgin media to see if there was an error in the connection anywhere down the line, and they said everything was perfectly fine at there end.
Old 5th January 2011, 19:03   #4
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): DC5 Teg
Peter_D is on a distinguished road

I got a Belkin one from Argos for £39.99 which had awesome ratings

I'm still using wired to my PS3 but the router actually made my connection faster and it connected to PSN alot quicker, used to take me 2 or 3 attempts to sign in but now does it first time everytime

Go on www.argos.co.uk and look for a Belkin router which is £39.99, i'd def recommend that one
Peter_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 19:07   #5
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Thanks for your help peter, i looked into belkin but some had bad reviews. I saw this one on ebay for £40.00 and thought i'll have that, dual band which i have no idea what it means but it sounds and looks like a good router, with 5 star ratings aswel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-WNDR33...item5ade52d417
Old 5th January 2011, 19:09   #6
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

This is the one - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...KIN+ROUTER.htm
Old 5th January 2011, 19:12   #7
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

Think NetGear are decent aswell, but i dunno what reviews you read about Belkin as everything i have seen was spot on and everywhere i looked recommended Belkin for routers

You do realise that router aint brand new don't you? It's a refurbished one which has been faulty and repaired and then sold to you
Old 5th January 2011, 19:15   #8
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

its not that exact router mate, thats just one that somebody else is selling. The one i bought is second hand, but got good feedback and says its in perfect working order etc. I dint wana go over £40 and then £90 RRP so thought i'd give it a go. If it doesnt work believe me it'll be getting returned lol
Old 5th January 2011, 19:22   #9
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

Haha thats ok then.. Hope it works for you, if not then you should try that router i linked as it is down to £40 at Argos, was about £60 on other computer sites

Got it recommended to me by someone who knows his stuff and i bought it and couldn't believe it made my connection faster

Just need to get it setup properly now so my PC will connect to it wirelessly, and so my NAT type is NAT 2, gonna get someone to sort it all for me soon.. Fuckin annoying having NAT 3 because it wont connect to hardly any game servers online
Old 5th January 2011, 20:04   #10
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

what is the difference between nat 2 and nat 3? I'm new to all this wireless although i been using it for couple years now lol
Old 5th January 2011, 22:25   #11
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

I'm new to it aswell

Not sure what the difference is but all i know is NAT 3 is the default setting which is shit, and causes connection problems online

NAT 2 is better, and i think NAT 1 is even better still but NAT 2 is all you really need
Old 5th January 2011, 22:30   #12
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

ye i read that before. I have Nat 2 and UPnP enabled etc, still get kicked off, dont understand
Old 6th January 2011, 00:13   #13
Rogue_Shadow
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): ZS
Rogue_Shadow is on a distinguished road

You still need to forward some ports to stop yourself getting kicked out of PSN.
It isn't your router, Netgear are probably one of the best router manufactures of networking equipment. I would put money on them

One thing to check is when you get kicked from a game, check your DSL light on your netgear and see if you still have internet sync. If no ... like a fault with your line, if it stays on. Its going to be settings / port based problems
Old 6th January 2011, 12:58   #14
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

i've always thought netgear were the best aswel, but i've had it a while now, so i don't know. I'm getting a new one just to eliminate that possibility.

I've never checked the router as its downstairs and my PS3 is upstairs. Which ones the internet sync on the router? I've got the power light which is on, then like an upside down question mark, a blue like aerial thing which looks like signals coming out of it and the number 1 is a lit up at the mo. My router model is WNR834B if you want to look it up. Thanks mate

Just been looking about online, i saw someone that said deleting all your game data (not save data) then redownloading all the updates etc will work. I'm jus redownloading them now as we speak, but i swear to god im out of ideas, i've looked absolutely everywhere. I've tried everything to my knowledge. If this doesn't work, i'll try creating a new user on my PS3 and play a few games and see if that works. My luck it'll work now i've ordered a new router. But if it does then sorted cos i'll jus resell it

Last edited by TheVtrKid; 6th January 2011 at 14:03.
TheVtrKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 14:54   #15
Rogue_Shadow
Saxperience Forum Bum

Its good ive got today off work ... The nerdy'ness begin lol

Your router's internet sync light is the Second from the Top
EG

Netgear TEXT
Power Light
Internet Light

Now ...
I've found instructions for you to follow to "Forward ports"
This is what is likely causing your PSN problems

Click this link and follow the instruction
Linky

To put your mind at ease, This simply telling your router what traffic (PS3 games) are allowed to run through the router. In simples talk, your opening doors

So follow the guide linked above and that will have your ports forwarded for the "Playstation Network"

Now, what game where you having trouble with? Because now you know how to forward ports using the above guide its very simple to do the same for any game you have trouble with.

You can just google for the ports required then follow the same guide
Some ports can also be found at the back of the manual

Also, try changing wireless channel. Once your in the setting page of Netgear router, click the wireless section and you should find a channel selection. Pick a number 1 above or below your current channel number.

Hope this helps buddy
Old 6th January 2011, 16:00   #16
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Mate you've posted alot of threads up on this have you actually followed the guide provided and opened the correct ports, buying a new router won't fix this issue unless you have done this first of all.

Check the update problem on ps3.

Check you have the correct wireless encrytion selected on the ps3.

Re-do connection set up on ps3 check everythings correct.

Maybe reset your router then type/follow guide on opening ports.

if none of these work are you getting kicked out off the game are you still connected to live? guarantee its their servers.
Old 6th January 2011, 17:26   #17
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

thanks for your help guys. Although when i spoke to EA about all this they gave me a load of ports to do with PSN, EA, PS3 etc, which i opened them all. I posted the pic of what my ports look like on another thread of mine, but here is what my ports look like, have i done them correctly? Also yes, i've tried rebooting modem, router, PS3, i've tried internet settings on PS3 to relocate my router and its connections etc, tried DMZ. Yes i am still connected to Live once i get booted from the game, im still connected online, and still connected to PSN network, which is what i don't understand. The games i'm trying to play are mainly FIFA 11 and Uncharted 2 among thieves.

I tried deleting all my UC2 game data and redownloading/installing as i mentioned in one my previous posts, then i played online, and the first 2 games we're fine, thats the thing, it makes you think that its solved the problem then voila, next few games connection errors again. I haven't tried the different wireless channel yet, as i'm not sure what that does? At the moment its set to channel 1, i can go below to Auto, or change it to any number upto 9. Also below that theres mode which is set to 270Mmps but i can change that to 130Mbps or 54Mbps. Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated, here are the ports open.

Last edited by TheVtrKid; 6th January 2011 at 17:32.
TheVtrKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 17:37   #18
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

You see i'm just reading this now this static IP thing and it says "It is very important to setup a static ip address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to an ip address that you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up, but after restarting your computer it may get a different ip address. When this happens the ports will no longer be forwarded to your computer's ip address. So the port forwarding configuration will not work."

I don't think i've got a static IP address on my router. Theres an option saying static routes which i can click on, then theres 3 buttons Add, Edit, Delete. If i click Add i've got:
Route Name
Private (box to tick)
Active (box to tick)
Destination IP Address ...
IP Subnet Mask ...
Gateway IP Address ...
Metric

Do i have to set up a static route?
Old 6th January 2011, 17:41   #19
Rogue_Shadow
Saxperience Forum Bum

well provided you have opened all the available ports correctly, rerun the PS3 connection wizard.
The only 2 things that it can be are
1) Game servers - Try playing a different game
2) You internet connection - Check to see if your internet CUTs off when you get disconnected

If you dont fancy running down stairs to check, have a laptop or Smartphone to hand. Connect it to the Netgear WIFI and when you get kicked, try loading up a fresh page. At work I tend to use www.bbc.co.uk/news because it displays the date and time on the page (Not loaded from your browsers cache)

Other than than
Tried it wired?
Old 6th January 2011, 17:45   #20
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

i am still connected to the internet because when it comes up connection error on UC2 online, it cuts me off then sends me straight back to the page where it says finding player,then it finds players after 10 20 seconds and starts another deathmatch, or if i'm in a party i can hear people talking on the microphone once i get connection error, so i am still connected to the internet