Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 28th August 2008, 11:38   #1
Mark51p
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Golf GT
iTrader Score: 28 (100%)
Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!
Default How to - Remove Steering wheel & Dials

ive done this a number of times now so thought id make a guide on how to take the steering wheel off and the dials out. it actually started off just taking the steering wheel off but then went on to taking the dials out (so i could fix my clock,lol)

You will need the following tools

Torx bits - T10,T20,T30,T50
tiny flat headed screwdriver
possibly 8mm spanner

1. first things first, becasue your steering wheel has an airbag in you need to disconnect the battery and leave it for atleast 10 mins for the charge to leave the airbag. i had to use an 8mm spanner to take my negative terminal off the battery. i decided to take both terminals off for some reason but you could just take the positive one off.

2. you then need to take the plastic pannel off under the steering wheel. you need a T20 torx bit for this. there is a screw each side.

3. this then just pulls down, out and off

4. pull the top part of the cover off and you should have something that looks like this

5. by the time you have done this 10 mins should have passed so its time to take the air bag out of the steering wheel. YOU NEED TO BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE AIRBAG, IT CAN GO OFF AT ANYTIME IF NOT HANDLED WITH CARE

there are two T30 bolts behind the steering wheel that hold the airbag in, these bolts do not come out once they have been loosed. its just the air bag that comes out

4. the airbag should not be loose and you are able to gently pull it out, dont pull it all the way out until you have disconnected it from the airbag loom

the airbag loom plug just pulls out

5. it should not look like this

6. PUT YOUR AIRBAG SOMEWHERE SAFE UNTIL YOU NEED IT AGAIN

7. you now need to take the bolt out that holds the steering wheel on, the bolts is a T50 head.

take this out, i found it easyer to put the steering lock on

8. you now need to mark a notch on the splines that the steering wheel fits onto before taking the steering wheel off, this will make it alot easier when putting it back together so the wheel is lined up with the actual car wheels

9. you now need to pull the steering wheel off but be very carefull not to catch the orange plug as you pull it off as it will rip it off the airbag ring

once pulled off it should look like this

THAT IS HOW TO TAKE YOUR STEERING WHEEL OFF, FOLLOW THE REST OF THE GUIDE FOR HOW TO TAKE THE DIALS OUT
Mark51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 11:39   #2
Mark51p
Super Moderator

Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!

10. you now need to take the three T20 screws out that hold the airbag ring in

11. once these have been taken out you now need to take the ring out but need to hold the indicator thingy down so it can come out. i used a f@@ked electrical screwdriver to hold it down until the ring had pasted this but i have used a bit of paper and card in the past

try to keep the ring in the same position when you have taken it off as you need to put it back on in the same position. it only spins something like 3.5 turns both ways until it stops so if you put it back on with one side having less turns than the other it will smash it off when you turn full lock to the side that has less turns that the other.

12. you now need to take the three T30 bolts out that hold the indicator stalks off

13. you can now pull the off slightly

14. this now allows you to access the two screws that hold the dial surround in. there is one on each side

15. you need to take out the final two screws that hold this in, you need a T10 bit to take this out

16. this will now just pull out, pull the top out first. it will now look like this

17. there are now another three screws to take out that hold the dials in, these are T20 screws

18. there should be two connections behind the dials.
yellow controls the dial lights
black controls the warning lights

you need to push the release catch down on the top of then before the release clip will come off.

19. gently pull the dials out trying to avoid scratching the front of the dials on anything.

20. it should now look like this

to put them back togther just follow these steps in reverse remembering not to connect the battery until last.

i did this on my mk2 saxo, the method to do this may vary from mk1 to mk2 models

Last edited by Mark51; 28th August 2008 at 12:19.
Old 28th August 2008, 12:12   #3
megabob
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
megabob has a spectacular aura aboutmegabob has a spectacular aura aboutmegabob has a spectacular aura about

great guide, was thinking if changing the steering wheel soon and this is just what i needed

oh and plus to rep
megabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 12:15   #4
SaxoSully
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 98'SaxoVTR 88' R5 GTT
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
SaxoSully is a splendid one to beholdSaxoSully is a splendid one to beholdSaxoSully is a splendid one to beholdSaxoSully is a splendid one to beholdSaxoSully is a splendid one to beholdSaxoSully is a splendid one to behold

One of the best guides I've ever sen on here for two simple reason's simple to understand and you even tell us what torx size every screw is.
Great Guide Sully
Old 28th August 2008, 12:54   #5
Proffitt
Saxperience Post Whore
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): e46 M Sport
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Proffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxoSully View Post
One of the best guides I've ever sen on here for two simple reason's simple to understand and you even tell us what torx size every screw is.
Great Guide Sully
i will second that

Great guide...repped

Cymru am Byth
Proffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 13:03   #6
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JP4urio, 306 DTurbo SportShed
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

Awesome guide mate good work. Only thing id add is that when you put it back together, you have to tape the indicator stalks cancelling switch to the top of the unit, otherwise the airbag wiring assembly wont go back in properly
TU-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 13:31   #7
Mark51p
Super Moderator

just stick the screwdriver in again to slide the ring back in dont need to tape it imo
Old 28th August 2008, 14:37   #8
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

great stuff mark, its asked all the time

i just remove the two torx screws on the stalk and pull it out a little to to get the air bag ring sensor out though

was just gonna add it to the FAQS but ya got there before me

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 15:45   #9
Mark51p
Super Moderator

lol, added it earlier on mate. i know what you mean but thought it would be better if i took it all apart, gives people a better idea of how to take things apart
Old 28th August 2008, 17:21   #10
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): N/A 200bhp+ per ton 106 gti
iTrader Score: 28 (97%)
Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!

good stuff, sorry for sounding narb but you have to take the steering wheel, airbag etc out before accesing dials?

Up The Toon
Jimmy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 17:32   #11
Harv
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): EP3 Civic Type R
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Boy View Post
good stuff, sorry for sounding narb but you have to take the steering wheel, airbag etc out before accesing dials?
Yup. Its pretty simple to do though, takes around 30mins (first time I did mine) then quicker when you know what your doing.

Great guide mate, way better than Haynes manual .

EP3 Civic Type R - soon to be JRSC'd
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 21:40   #12
Mark51p
Super Moderator

^^ didnt even know that it was in the Haynes Manual, lol
Old 28th August 2008, 22:22   #13
Furio_Rob
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Furio FTW
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!Furio_Rob is a great team player!

god knows how many times ive watched pred do this and still aint got a clue how to

great guide though
Old 28th August 2008, 23:13   #14
danfish69
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
danfish69 is on a distinguished road

Fantastic guide !
danfish69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 14:23   #15
d4r3n
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): bmw 330ci sport !
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
d4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to behold

good guide mate but i just remove the 3 bolts holding the steering colum up and can get it out that way but still great guide
d4r3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 14:29   #16
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

nice guide

takes me bout 5 mins to do it

oil temp needle needs to be put back in my clocks, didnt stick it back in some how lol

never disconnect battery for airbags i think they aint going to go off in a crash they aint gona go off when i disconnect them... but i live on the edge
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 18:44   #17
Mitie-Starkey
Regular Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): mk2 vtr Black
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Mitie-Starkey is on a distinguished road

good guide mate
Mitie-Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 18:48   #18
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

nice one mark
Old 16th October 2008, 19:08   #19
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Yeaaahh Fiesta
iTrader Score: 105 (96%)
Sparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really nice

excellent guide mate just had a text off a mate asking me how to remove the steering the reply to him was sax-p
Sparco_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 14:34   #20
carlos45
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Sax-Low GTI RIP! MK1 VTS MK2 106 GTI
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!carlos45 is a great team player!

i recognise that torx set! haha. decent guide, you learned from the master