Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2007, 11:04   #141
RS_Matt
Established Member

Car(s): Scooby.
RS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to behold

I'm not into imaging or SQL and desperately don't want max power fame.

I got all my ICE nicked!!! and then fitted some Kenwood 7x10's as I read in a max power review that they gave the impression subs were installed, I backed it up with a V12 500 watt alpine amp and they sounded trully amazing, the audio shop who installed it all were gobsmacked!!! they initially tried to talk me out of wiring the amp up to them saying they wouldn't take it. I backed it up with some kenwood door speakers but they sounded god awful off the headunit amp at higher volumes, so I unplugged them.

The Hq's are rated 320 watt each and I belive would sound great with amped components up front and would also save money on boot space and not having to buy a sub n amp.
Old 21st February 2007, 03:21   #142
SAM33R
Established Member

Car(s): saxo vts 2003 *Dads*€nzo 15th APR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
SAM33R has a spectacular aura aboutSAM33R has a spectacular aura about

im installing a sub, i have front speakers and components, i have mounted 2 13cm speakers on the shelf for vocal and a boot sub going in tommorrow....

will i still get this prob of crap sound if i just use the speakers for mid-high and the sub for low frequency???

thanks

sam
Old 21st February 2007, 09:32   #143
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

yes its the moving air thats the issue

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:00   #144
SAM33R
Established Member

Car(s): saxo vts 2003 *Dads*€nzo 15th APR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
SAM33R has a spectacular aura aboutSAM33R has a spectacular aura about

hmmmm..... its fitted in....sat in the back....vocals are still accurate so it all good... i have a ported box.....might change it for a sealed enclosure now
Old 22nd February 2007, 10:43   #145
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

still going to have the same issues sealed or ported

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:06   #146
RS_Matt
Established Member

RS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to beholdRS_Matt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM33R View Post
hmmmm..... its fitted in....sat in the back....vocals are still accurate so it all good... i have a ported box.....might change it for a sealed enclosure now
what wattage are you giving the sub?
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:09   #147
time_to_ride
Regular Poster

Car(s): 1.0i frist 2000
time_to_ride has a spectacular aura abouttime_to_ride has a spectacular aura about

Sooo... are 6x9s a good thing to have if there is NO sub and the rear speakers are disconnected?
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:17   #148
RS_Matt
Established Member

good quality 6x9's on a mdf shelf will sound fine, my 7x10's sound like there is a sub in there somewhere - off a 500 watt alpine v12 amp!

I asked everyone what sized sub/s they thought I had in the boot!! Not one person said it sounded like just 6x9's!

I've added a small JL sub now on a small amp and the air pressure isn't a factor. I could blow on the cones harder.
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:23   #149
Scottp
Administrator

Of course you have air movment issues. Once that bootlid is closed then you effectively have a sealed area beneath the parcel shelf, which you sub is moving air in. Air will find the weakest parts and move them or blow through them, your 7x10s will be getting moved with this air which is plain fact. Thsi is where the issues come in, this air movement will be affecting the performance of the speaker.

How much or how little depends on other things but it is happening.

Not sure what your quote in your sig is all about either

Old 22nd February 2007, 14:36   #150
RS_Matt
Established Member

Never said it wasn't being moved, but the fractions involved won't make an audible difference in this case.
Old 22nd February 2007, 15:02   #151
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

This debate is going to go on forever. 6x9s are not good simple as that the optimum speaker shape if round not oval for a start!
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:23   #152
RS_Matt
Established Member

..all car speakers and locations have pros and cons - there is no set sound system. good 6x9's can be useful if you're not bothered about a high SQL score.
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:25   #153
Baz
Saxperience Hardcore!
West Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fiesta ST150
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!

i recon to save argument.....6x9's and 7x10s rule! and sound even better with 2 12" subs right under them :d end of discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansowden View Post
What is the full name of the stuff you use to t cut badges, Thanks
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:37   #154
Scottp
Administrator

We cant force anyone to like or change anything, i give my advice based on my own experiences as well as the physical facts behind it.

Old 22nd February 2007, 16:40   #155
brianS
Established Member
South East Region Member

brianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nicebrianS is just really nice

its getting boring now.
Old 22nd February 2007, 16:54   #156
BBL
Established Member

BBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to beholdBBL is a splendid one to behold

god all these clueless people. fair enough if you go out and buy them and then hear the facts, then scrap them. but to know all this and to stick with them, is just plain WRONG
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:15   #157
quez
L-plater

quez is on a distinguished road

I have alpine type r comps upfront, alpine type s coaxials in the rear, 2 pairs of alpine type r 6x9s on a custom shelf and 2 alpine type r subs in a sealed enclosure in the boot all running of alpine v12 amps, hu is an alpine iva-d100. This install sounds 10x better, clearer, louder (except lowerer freqs), more defined than my old install which consisted of rainbow power comps running off a genesis ultra 4 and 2 re xxx's ported 35hz running off 2 spl dynamics 2000d's.
Even everyone I know who has heard both my systems agrees my current one is better in everyway.
Surely i'm going to blow my 6x9's tho? Well 1 piece of black carpet attached to the underside of the parcel shelf stops any unwanted pressure hitting the 6x9's and it also tidys up the install by covering all those hanging wires and magnets. Not exactly rocket science?

Pro's and con's of my old system:
Pro's
- V loud bass = fun
- bragging rights

Con's
- My systems weights meant I could count my mpg on my left hand
- No rear seats
- Ported sounds awful compared to sealed imo
- As soon as someone sat in the passenger seat my treble was reduced to half the volume originally and there's no other speakers producing sound
- 1 part of the system gets blown and you have to save 3 months wages to replace it
- all you can hear is bass, even in my current system if all I had was components I would hear naff all
- you can't listen to music outside the car, nothing better than playin fball etc on a hot day and having your boot open with some music playing
- rear passengers can't hear the components muffled by your legs
- 1 set of components will never be loud enough unless you're a fairy

the list could go on but i'm bored of writing now, btw my old system was all recommended by talk audio.
Old 22nd February 2007, 17:17   #158
saxodan
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): Golf
saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!

I love my 6x9s lol
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:56   #159
RS_Matt
Established Member

Yeah door installs and boot intsalls both see problems for full range speakers, there's a way around sub air pressures as Quez states! My cousin has a second shelf level under his 6x9's that protect the cones and act as a seperate bass box.

I run a 260 watt amp to a JL audio sub that sounds great, the pressure isn't a factor and the 320 watt rated 7x10's are especially built to accompany big hitting subs. The amount of volume I have to give the 7x10's to balance out the mid bass so I'm not bottom heavy on hz is unbelievable, 500 watts running into metal and plastic in the door wouldn't be ideal in my opinion, if there are front speakers that can fire that loud.

All I need now is a HQ small 3rd amp to run some tidy crisp fronts.
Old 23rd February 2007, 01:22   #160
Baz
Saxperience Hardcore!
West Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fiesta ST150
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quez View Post
Con's
- My systems weights meant I could count my mpg on my left hand
- No rear seats
- Ported sounds awful compared to sealed imo - get sealed boxes
- As soon as someone sat in the passenger seat my treble was reduced to half the volume originally and there's no other speakers producing sound
- 1 part of the system gets blown and you have to save 3 months wages to replace it - don't play it so bloody loud
- all you can hear is bass, even in my current system if all I had was components I would hear naff all - turn the bass down
- you can't listen to music outside the car, nothing better than playin fball etc on a hot day and having your boot open with some music playing - well ive managed it numerous times with comps and a sub so your obviously doing something wrong, ie having bass on full wack like a idiot
- rear passengers can't hear the components muffled by your legs - fuck the rear passangers you don't sit in the back driving, then again i thought you said you had no rear seats
- 1 set of components will never be loud enough unless you're a fairy - what makes you say that, easily loud enough for general driving round town, not everyone outside your car wants to listen to the shit your playing

the list could go on but i'm bored of writing now, btw my old system was all recommended by talk audio.

my 2 pence worth on your 'cons'

Matt - why you need some 'tidy crisp fronts' if your 7x10s are so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansowden View Post
What is the full name of the stuff you use to t cut badges, Thanks

Last edited by Baz; 23rd February 2007 at 01:24.
Closed Thread