Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 1st July 2010, 23:09   #1
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Past: Citroen Saxo Forte W reg posi blue Now: H
Morgiee is on a distinguished road
Default How-To Guide: Installing Electric Windows

Here is a guide for anyone who has a Saxo that didn’t come with electric windows and wishes to have them in their car. There isn’t any guide on here on how to do it, instead there is loads of threads asking how it’s done also people have contacted me asking how to do it and the Haynes manual is pretty daunting. I recently fitted them to my car and they came out a success so by following my guide hopefully you should achieve the same and should make more sense.

PLEASE NOTE:
By following my guide I am not held responsible if anything that goes wrong or any damage caused to vehicle in any way relating to this guide. The guide was made purely so that people could refer to as help when installing for themselves and get an insight into how I achieved it, follow this guide at your own risk however nothing should happen as this works perfect on my vehicle and nothing has happened.

Step 1: Tools and parts required

The tools and equipment that you will need to complete the job are as follows however other tools may be used to help you along (see optional section bellow list)

Tools:
• Torx screw set
• Small wrench/socket set
• Pliers
• Rivet gun with rivets/screw and bolts
• Multi-metre/voltage test probe
• Inline fuse holders (x2) 30a blade fuse (x1) 5a or 7.5a blade fuse (x1)
• Solder and or Electrical tape
• Drill with drill piece slightly bigger than the inner circle of the rivet

(Optional)

Jump leads and bare cable e.g. subwoofer speaker cable:
This can be used to test and use during the installation to see if the motors work and to move the window slider to make it easier to connect window. This will be explained further in guide on how this helps

Parts Needed

The parts needed will obviously be the full electric windows set, and they are as followed:

Left hand door regulator (slider already attached)
Right hand door regulator (slider already attached)
Full wiring and relay (this is crucial so to make sure you have the full thing, if your stripping it out of a saxo yourself start from the switches and the cables are tied together with tape so grab them all in your hand and work your way through the cable right to the relay behind the passenger fuse box. Include the relay the wires are attached to as this too will be needed. The other cable that will be needed are the ones from the motors there is four beige colour ones two per motor. These will be split by the door grommets in mk2 saxo’s. Here you have two options, 1. Take the full grommet in case you want electric mirrors too. 2. Snip the two wires before and after the grommet and re wire them later (this is what I did as is easier)
Centre console with switches
Corresponding door cards/ use original ones and modify pattern design

Step 2: Removing door cards

I won’t go into detail here as many people already know how to do this, if not sure here is a quick guide on it:
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...ove+door+cards

Step 3: Disconnecting window from the supports

This step applies to both doors and can be easy but fiddly, top remove the window put the window winding handle back in and wind the window down until you can see the bottom of the window and the white block as this is what holds the window and move it up and down. Once level put your hand behind the window (the outside of the glass) and you will feel a plastic square piece, this need removing and to do so you twist the plastic bit clockwise until it is loose, then without dropping lift it off and put it somewhere safe as you will need it when reconnecting the window. Then push the bottom of the window forwards carefully but with a little force and pull back on the plastic block to remove the window of the block hinge. Once you have successfully done this put one hand underneath the window and one at the top and lift the window manually to the top making sure that the window stays in its sliders on either side of the door. Once you have done this get a very patient mate who will hold the glass up to stop it from dropping back down or their should be enough grip on the window not to move however not worth the risk to temporally cable tie a loop between the inside door frame and outside door frame so that if it drops down the cable ties will catch it safely or alternatively completely remove the window and wrap in a cloth to prevent scratches. This is fiddlier later as you have to put the window back in and never goes in right first time.

Step 4: Removing Winding Mechanism

Again this applies to both doors, Get your drill with a drill piece slightly bigger than the inner diameter of the rivets holding the mechanism in place, there are three of them and they all need drilling out you can drill right through to pop them out but if dong the before drilling wind the window back up a bit so that the dill piece will be clear of the glass so that you can’t drill through the glass. Line the drill up and drill at the rivet with a bit of force to break the rivet, this should pop the rivets through and the remains will drop down the inside of the door, so remove them after drilling to prevent rattling noise when driving lol then lift the mechanism off the door.

Step 5: Removing mechanism sliders from the door

Applying to both doors, before completely removing the sliders, wind the window back down to half way to make it easier to connect the window back on the white block, once you have done this then there are two brass bolts at the top and bottom of the inner door frame that holds the slider in place, to find them look at the slider and look directly above and below to find them. To remove is simple use a wrench or socket set and UN-tighten them and keep in a safe place for when you bolt in the new slider. Then with your thumb push the screw that is reviled inwards to disconnect it from its support hole in door frame do this to both screws. The slider will now be loose in the door so with a bit of twisting and turning pull it out of the gaps in the door frame.

Step 6: inserting new electric window sliders and mount motors

Applying to both doors, to insert the electric motor and sliders is just the reverse of removing the windy ones. Making sure that the orange cables are crossed over, best way is to place the motor were its going to go and visualise how it would connect, also the orange tube with the black foam over it goes to the bottom of the window and the full orange tube goes to the top of the window, look at the picture below to give you an idea, without crossing the tubes the motor wont wind up and down properly and the slider wont mount properly. Insert the slider, push the screws back into the mounting holes and re tighten them back up with the bolts you kept safe then place the motor over the holes were the rivets were drilled out, this is perfect as the electric motor sits flush with the old windy mechanism. Then either with bolts or a rivet gun mount the motor into the door frame, bearing in mind that if you rivet without checking if the motor works you will have to waste time removing the rivets to get the motor off, so best bet is to temp or permanent screw and bolt the motor in place.

Step 7: re - insert the window back on the block hinge on slider

Applying to both doors again the reverse of taking them off, you can cut away the cable ties holding the window or stop your mate from holding the window lol. With your hands again top and bottom push the window down the door until you line it up with the white block, then push the window back onto the hinge and re-insert the square plastic block back on the window and twist anticlockwise until it clicks in place, now it’s safe enough to let go of the window make sure you double check the window is in its slide holders on both sides of the door otherwise the window won’t lift properly or will get stuck.

Test motors are working

To test the motors are working without wiring into the main electrics, get a set of jump leads or thick gauge power wire, and make them long enough to reach both doors if not then get some thick ish wire again and jump them off the jump leads and with the bare wire temp wrap the + copper cable over one of the motor wires and the – to the other don’t worry about blowing the motor as it works on reverse polarity so power goes through one cable to lift window and power goes through the other cable to lower the window so one cable has power and not the other they don’t both have power running through it at the same time with being reverse polarity. Then once wired up make sure that the bare copper don’t touch each other or the door frame as this WILL sort it. Then when all sorted clip the cable from the battery side to the negative with the – clip and hold the + clip to the + of the battery, here you should see the window lift up. If it doesn’t then disconnect the + clip from the battery and go back to the bare wires on the door and swap them over. Then try again with + clip on the + terminal then the window should rise, if it does then the motors are working perfect if not there is either a fault with the motor or the window isn’t aligned properly with the motor preventing it from lifting so check everything over.
Step 8: wiring up
This is the time consuming part, if you have cut any cables in order to remove it from previous saxo the re wire them back together making sure you wire the cables to the corresponding cable e.g. thick cable from switch (b70014) wire to extended cable thick blue (b70014). You can both solder them and tape up or just re wire and then tape up.

Then list the carpet and lay the cables underneath it. Then the switch connector block side lay the cables and connector under the lower console carpet, I found it best to cut a strip down the centre and feed the cables underneath or just lay them over the top either way the lower console will hide them.

Next step is to re-insert the lower console and feed the blocks through the switch cut out

And re- attach switches

Then separate the four beige wires two to one door and two to the other, making sure the numbers on the cables match the ones connected to the motors. Feed the cables through the door grommet and re wire them or solder them back onto the loom and tap over to prevent shortage if touched.

The earth cables from the loom and one off the relay join them together into one earth cable and with a spade connector crimped on the cable, connect it to an earth point like the one I’ve done below:

And finally wiring the remaining cables to the relay and to a 12v feed. Ok so on the relay there are 4 wires:

1x power (thick red/pink cable)

1x earth (thin green and yellow cable)

1x ignition (thin gray cable)

1x blue power cable (supplying power to the switches)

Put an inline fuse on the power cable (pink one NOT blue) and insert a 30a fuse in it. Then feed that cable to underneath the steering Colum and locate the ignition live. This can be done by using a multimeter, when power off 0volts, power on 12volts, start car drops to 0 volts then back to 12volts. If using light probe then same principle, light on when powered; light off when starting the car, light back on when car is started.
When you find this cable disconnect the battery and strip back the insulation and wire the pink/red cable from the relay to that. This means that when the car is off power isn’t going to the electric motors and running battery down. Do the same to the gray ignition cable; put an inline fuse on and fuse of 5/7.5a and wire to the ignition live cable. Once this is don’t tape up any exposed cable to protect from shortage. Wire the earth to an earth point (easy) and finally wire the blue cable to the thick blue cable on the switch loom, this supplies power to the switches.

And that’s all the wiring!!!!

Step 9: mount relay and plug

This is easy enough, look underneath and behind the passenger fuse box you will see a metal bracket with a plug next to it, here is where you mount your relay and plug.

The relay with pins can be removed from the plug like below:

This helps as when mounting to the bracket it sits comfortably. Place the plug on one side of the bracket like so:

And mount the rely on the other side don’t worry the relay plugs in only one way so you can’t make a mistake and plug it to the wrong ports. Push the relay into the plug till it clicks in place and then the relay will be sat perfectly in the bracket like so:

And that’s your relay all wired up!!

Step 10: finally TEST the Windows!!!!

This is the final and fun part see if it all works, re connect the battery and then put the key in the ignition and turn on the power (one turn battery light is shown) and press the buttons up and down, windows should work!! If you find that the left switch controls the right and vice verse, then disconnect the switches and swap the wire connectors the other way around, re connect switches and test.
The outcome should be like this:

Finishing off touches

When happy with work re-insert the door cards and cable tie any cables loose in case you need to refer back to them and just to keep them tidy also
now would be a good time to either re trim doors as a hole will be visible were the old mechanism went or replace the door cards with vtr/s door cars to give it a flush finish also you can cable tie the loose cables from the motor to the door frame to prevent them getting underneath the window as it lowers and potentially ripping the cable to solve this just cable tie both cable to a spare hole on the door frame like below.

Thank you for having the patients to read and hope this guide helps a lot of people.

If you have any problems or question relating please let me know and i’ll do my best to sort it out

Thanks

Morgiee

Last edited by Morgiee; 2nd July 2010 at 09:46.
Morgiee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morgiee For This Useful Post:
Old 1st July 2010, 23:14   #2
Rogue_Shadow
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): ZS
Rogue_Shadow is on a distinguished road

Great guide
Old 1st July 2010, 23:17   #3
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Cheers mate hope it helps all tried to find a guide myself when i did it but had to do it from research, this will make it easier for all
Old 2nd July 2010, 02:06   #4
MAXSTARR
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo Forte 1.1 (Amazon Green)
MAXSTARR is on a distinguished road

should be in a sticky mate
MAXSTARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:33   #5
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

in the process of making it a stickey mate, but had to upload it first
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:21   #6
marcusd
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): posi blue mk2 2003 vtr
iTrader Score: 29 (100%)
marcusd is on a distinguished road

thats a guide and a half, thats a hell of alot of effort hats off to you
marcusd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcusd For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:36   #7
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Cheers mate apprishiate the comment. I try my best to help others and seen as their is no guide for it why not lol
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:40   #8
wadoryu
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): suzuki swift 1.2 sz3
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
wadoryu is on a distinguished road

nice work mate i might have to give that a go
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:22   #9
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Go for it mate well worth it feels better with them in
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:09   #10
Riiko7
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Furio.
Riiko7 is on a distinguished road

Great guide!
Riiko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riiko7 For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:32   #11
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

well written mate stickied in the FAQ section at the top of this section

Last edited by Predator_R32; 2nd July 2010 at 15:34.
Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:56   #12
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Thanks again mate means alot
Old 20th February 2011, 10:34   #13
Havark
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR, 1.6, Silver
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Havark is on a distinguished road

Great guide! good job mine came standard
Havark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 18:23   #14
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havark View Post
Great guide! good job mine came standard
Cheers man
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:26   #15
bethell
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 1999 saxo 1.1 black
bethell is on a distinguished road

good guide writing down what i need and going to go to the scrappies when i get paid good guide let ou know how it goes.
bethell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:46   #16
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethell View Post
good guide writing down what i need and going to go to the scrappies when i get paid good guide let ou know how it goes.
Cheers man sure thing always interested in the outcomes good luck
Old 21st September 2011, 18:28   #17
Medex_Saxo97

Car(s): Saxo 97
Medex_Saxo97 is on a distinguished road

will it be any different if you install the Peugeot 106 doorcards??
is it possible to connect the cables to the switches that come on the drivers ''hand rest'' on the 106's doorcard?
Medex_Saxo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 10:46   #18
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

yes any door card will work as all your trying to achive is to hide the hole were the mechanism went. Also keep the switches in the hand rest and connect the wire harness to it.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:40   #19
iFurio
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Forteee & Furiooooo
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
iFurio is on a distinguished road

nice guide, really should do this to my 1.1 but I now have 1.4 which has electric windows so no need I guess! :L
iFurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 13:35   #20
Doeza
L-plater

Doeza is on a distinguished road

Hi let me start off be saying this is a great guide with helpfull photos. do you know if any company or ebay sellers may sell all the parts as a kit

• Left hand door regulator (slider already attached)
• Right hand door regulator (slider already attached)
• Full wiring and relay
• Centre console with switches
• Corresponding door cards/ use original ones and modify pattern

I have Saxo forte 1.1 any help would great thanks

Jay
Doeza is offline   Reply With Quote