Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 11th May 2011, 23:17   #21
DanielT92
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
DanielT92 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaVTR View Post
How much did you pick yours up for Daniel?
I payed £30 delivered for my 266's. They are not fitted yet as they are in need of a refurb. I suggest you PM Mikol if your after some 266's
Old 11th May 2011, 23:55   #22
AL3X_
Established Member

AL3X_ is on a distinguished road

Out of interest people, i've got VTS wheels wrapped in Yoko S drives, and I had mine locking up and sliding to the left when I slammed on for an ambulance round a blind corner, whats the problem here?
Old 12th May 2011, 01:22   #23
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

8ive got 300 bhp, struggle to get power down so you know what, iam going to tune me engine to 350bhp, that should do it.
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 09:51   #24
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL3X_ View Post
Out of interest people, i've got VTS wheels wrapped in Yoko S drives, and I had mine locking up and sliding to the left when I slammed on for an ambulance round a blind corner, whats the problem here?
I dont know anything about the tyres, but road camber, surface condition and the balance of the car are all massive contributors to how a car reacts under braking, as well as the driver imputs...
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 15:36   #25
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL3X_ View Post
because you were turning. i've had mine almost sideways when a van wandered into my lane on a corner!
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 15:43   #26
tillygti6
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): 106 ph1 rallye 106 gti 106 hybrid thing GTI~6
tillygti6 is on a distinguished road

your all overlooking one massive influence here, the rear brake compensator! if the cars lowered or the compensators seized the rear brake bias will be more than wanted! it will unbalance the car on turn in then the back will wander and thats when you shit your pants.
most track cars of low weight run very very little rear braking!!!!!
tillygti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 16:46   #27
Oc2
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST2 ASBO
Oc2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillygti6 View Post
your all overlooking one massive influence here, the rear brake compensator! if the cars lowered or the compensators seized the rear brake bias will be more than wanted! it will unbalance the car on turn in then the back will wander and thats when you shit your pants.
most track cars of low weight run very very little rear braking!!!!!

IIRC the standard balance is only about 20% braking force to the back, but thats a waste.

Rear brakes are pretty much (certainly drum brakes) purly for the hand brake
Oc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 16:51   #28
tillygti6
Frequent Poster

its generally 60-40 split, but as the cars are lowered the valve thinks the car has more people in hence greater pressure. and seldom are they cleaned/serviced.
my moneys on the rear compensator, but then what do i know.......
Old 12th May 2011, 17:44   #29
Morgan_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): N3CNM 8v y0¬!
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Morgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant futureMorgan_VTR has a brilliant future

^ brake bias valve? or is that something completely different?

I think when mine was done the lad adjusted it so it was less influence over the rear brakes.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:56   #30
tillygti6
Frequent Poster

same thing different name basiclly, however the bias valves generally only deal with a single line and the compensators often self regulate one or more lines. they should be adjusted and kept an eye on. a couple of circuits i play on would always catch the brakes out, causing the rears to lock at an inopertune moment, gforce camber and entry speed all effect the standard job.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:42   #31
AL3X_
Established Member

AL3X_ is on a distinguished road

This sounds like it may be my problem, as tonight slamming on in the wet the car slid towards the side of the road, whilst my steering was straight, my car is lowered 60mm on the back with a sub in the boot, what do I need to do to the bias valve to sort the problem so if it does lock up it at least goes in a straight line?

Cheers
Old 9th June 2011, 00:13   #32
mlawlan69
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): MCS R53 S/C 16v furiooo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
mlawlan69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
I was always told to stop a car fast the brakes should be the last thing to look at.
Get the car lighter, making it easier to slow its inertia, get the suspension sorted to stop weight transfer moving forward under braking and over loading the front tyres or under utilising the rear. Get the tyres sorted. What ultimately stops the car is the friction between the road and the tyre. A softer compound will have a higher friction level and stop the car quicker. Its why stopping distance will increase when it rains..
Big brakes are primarily about heat capacity. A larger disc can absorb more heat, keeping the pads at a more optimum temperature. Larger pads allow them to cool quicker. 4 pot calipers will give better pedal feel etc.
If you can get the friction co-efficient high enough (like with slicks) then the original brakes may not be able to provide enough pressure to lock the brakes. Thats really when a drastically different brake setup is needed.
Things like performance brake pads can help improve things slightly but we are talking more about the compounds providing that maximum effort before the brakes lock as traction is overcome.
Changing all the master cylinders, calipers and discs can alter how far you press your foot on the pedal etc, but its going to be a marginal gain whatever unless the heat capacity of the standard brake setup is overcome.

Hope this makes sense as its rather late to get my thoughts straight with all this.
Kev
very interesting that thanks.
mlawlan69 is offline   Reply With Quote