Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 9th September 2014, 21:40   #1
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr 1.4, xsara was my last car
Mi5terSIR is on a distinguished road
Default really annoying fault

its been doing it for ages, but now its bugging me a bit, bit lengthy mind.

when i first start it in the morning, its almost like its running on 3 pots, if i hold the revs up a little when i have just started it, the engine shakes a fair bit from it, once a bit of load is on the engine, its pretty much gone, but.

say im cruising in 4th, doing 30 ish, if i come to a bit of a downhill, obvs i reduce the throttle to keep the same speed, but, at very small throttle increments, the engine, yet again, jiggles, and missfires(?) quite a lot.

as soon as i put my foot down, its all perfectly fine, pulls bloody good at WOT.

but its just the cold running and very low throttle openings.

also, maybe related to the above faults, but the idle is shit. hot or cold engine, it idles crap, now i know its a bit bodgy, but i have been fiddling with the position of the crank sensor to advance the timing a bit, now once, and just once, it idled perfectly, but as im playing with other stuff, its gone back the way it was

fwiw, i have changed the MAP sensor, TPS, ATS, idle stepper and wiggled a few other things.

i did pull the injectors out today and did have a nose, they were still attached to the rail, and looking at the end of them, they all had a coating of some black hard stuff on the tips, now, it wasnt actually over the pintle and whatnot, just the outside edges, wondering if this is a sign that they are clogged or something, thats all i got for idea's, im gonna try a new crank sensor when i get my money next.

cheers
Ben
Mi5terSIR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mi5terSIR For This Useful Post:
Old 9th September 2014, 21:48   #2
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

Have you tried replacing the coil pack?

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452645
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:48   #3
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

If you have a spare coil pack try that mate.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:50   #4
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

cheers lads

had a new coilpack about a month ago, also plugs are iridium ones i pull every few months and give them a once over.

i did try the spare coilpack i had in the shed a while back, albeit a sagem one, iirc its a bougicord one on there now
Old 9th September 2014, 21:56   #5
jbrady72
Established Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTR (2001)
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
jbrady72 is on a distinguished road

Fuel pump?? Also how do you adjust the crank position sensor to advance the timing??0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"That's one motherf*cking, fine-ass pussymobile MOTHERF*CKERS"
jbrady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 21:57   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickswan View Post
Have you tried replacing the coil pack?
Sorry posted at the same time.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:05   #7
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady72 View Post
Fuel pump?? Also how do you adjust the crank position sensor to advance the timing??0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fuel pump seems good, has run dry a few times, but pressure seems fine as does the flow, although i will look further into it.

remove the sensor, and you will see a metal little dowel, remove that, wind the bolt in from the opposite side its supposed to go, just so it pokes out a little, now move the sensor upwards to advance and down towards the ground to retard, when you got it where you want it, just wind that bolt in and it holds pretty good, also, advancing the sensor also advances the injectors too, while a little advance on the injectors is good for fuel economy (fuel sprayed on a closed valve allows the fuel to vaporise a little before it gets pulled in) too much and you will hear a pop from the exhaust as you start it, and it will hesitate as you put your foot down. so i would be carefull about it if your considering it mate, and im only doing it on this engine because it has a knock sensor, so it will kick the timing back if it knocks, which is a defo need if your moving the sensor around.

cheers lads
Old 9th September 2014, 22:08   #8
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

if you can notice anything, this is a video i put on fb earlier, im just showing off the noise lol, you might notice too that its my xsara the engine is in, should have mentioned that, but it is destined for the saxo when that engine dies, and the wrist pin knock is getting quite bad now...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...38947046981008
Old 10th September 2014, 10:44   #9
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

tested the fuelpump (the best i could) today.

removed it from the car, got a bucket and filled it with water, didnt really want to use water but there we are.

got my powerprobe out, submerged the pump and gave it 12v.

i've not really seen a fuel pump "in action" for lack of a better word, and this thing really moves water fair play lol, so the flow seems alright, goes a fair distance, few feet.

then stuck my thumb over the end, left a small gap for the water to escape, and it felt as though it was holding a good pressure, and the stream from the gap was pretty strong.

more than anything i guess i was looking for an inconsistency in the flow, but it seemed pretty good.

i think i can call that pump good, i hope so, i wouldn't like to have to buy another fuel pump, i don't have a lot of money right now.

anything you lads see i missed out?

Cheers
Old 10th September 2014, 10:51   #10
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

If you go on ebay & search for forte injector cleaner,it's the stuff garages use, put that in your tank.
Old 10th September 2014, 12:28   #11
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
If you go on ebay & search for forte injector cleaner,it's the stuff garages use, put that in your tank.
when i worked in fk7 we swore by that stuff, i used about 2 bottles (not at the same time lol) when i first got it, used a 1 ltr bottle of redex, the carplan green stuff, ive tried a few, and while it has made a slight difference, its never usually a decent difference, im starting to think ill need to send them off to be cleaned....

Cheers
Old 10th September 2014, 14:37   #12
oxass
Infrequent Poster

oxass is on a distinguished road

Have you done a diagnostic check with a scan tool?
oxass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 15:00   #13
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxass View Post
Have you done a diagnostic check with a scan tool?
yeah i have a lexia i use for it, did scan it yesterday, it had an intermittent fault for the lambda, but that was changed a few months back too, but ill keep an eye on it.

thankfully, the lexia can do a lot of live data and whatnot, so i was able to watch most of the value's move about as i was revving it and whatnot, lambda was reading about 480mv when i first fired it up, settled to about 500mv (it was doing that crossing or whatever its called), not really sure where its supposed to be though.

tps readings seemed good, map was responsive, nothing obvious bar the lambda, but thats because im not really sure what the reading's are supposed to be

took it out earlier and gave her a damn good hiding to see if that would clear her up, ill wait till the engine goes cold and ill see what happens.

if nothing. im going to go and fetch my hammer, then she can look out, bloody tart lol

Cheers
Old 10th September 2014, 15:38   #14
oxass
Infrequent Poster

Did you flutter the throttle to drive the sensor lean?
Old 10th September 2014, 16:22   #15
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

i just let it idle until the fan kicked in, held the revs at 2.5k to see what it would do, went up to about 800mv but it went down to about 500mv slowly
Old 10th September 2014, 16:29   #16
oxass
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi5terSIR View Post
i just let it idle until the fan kicked in, held the revs at 2.5k to see what it would do, went up to about 800mv but it went down to about 500mv slowly
Whats the lowest reading you have had?
Old 10th September 2014, 18:05   #17
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Whats the lowest reading you have had?
it went into the mid 300mv range at one point but not much lower than that, it did seem a little slow to respond thinking about it...
Old 10th September 2014, 18:38   #18
oxass
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi5terSIR View Post
it went into the mid 300mv range at one point but not much lower than that, it did seem a little slow to respond thinking about it...
Try it again but flutter the throttle in quick sucession it should drop well below 300mv.
Also does the car chug from start up straight away or does run ok for a second or two and then chug.
Try running the car when it's chugging turn it off leave it for a minute restart it and see if it chugs on initial start up or it chugs after a couple of seconds.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:33   #19
marcusd
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): posi blue mk2 2003 vtr
iTrader Score: 29 (100%)
marcusd is on a distinguished road

map sensor same as mine, I changed everything fuel pump, coil pack injectors the lot nothing solved it went for last chance map sensor and bang it was that, it was starving the engine of fuel and air therefore jolting and jumping.
marcusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 21:59   #20
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Try it again but flutter the throttle in quick sucession it should drop well below 300mv.
Also does the car chug from start up straight away or does run ok for a second or two and then chug.
Try running the car when it's chugging turn it off leave it for a minute restart it and see if it chugs on initial start up or it chugs after a couple of seconds.
right you are ill give that a go, didnt think of doing that cheers, it's like it as soon as it starts, then gradually goes away as the engine warms up, sometimes it changes a bit if i leave it a few mins and starts again, but rarely better.

marcusd, i have a new map sensor in it, i have 3 in all here, tried them all a few times and they all make no difference, if i unplug the map it stalls, i can unplug it if im holding the revs up and just about keep it running, so i guess its working ok

cheers