Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 24th November 2014, 15:44   #1
deano_123
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 ways vs. satchell conversion

Pretty much the last part of my car I havent done yet is the suspension, mainly as I dont understand this evil dark art. The car is fully bushed, uprated mounts etc it is just the suspension that sucks (I think its on Avo's or something).

Anyway, so would I be better going for some 2/ 3 way AST/ KW etc coilovers or the satchell conversion kit? Prices work out about the same so any thoughts?
Old 24th November 2014, 15:45   #2
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

They do two different things. Start with the Satchell kit first then upgrade the dampers when funds allow.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 17:08   #3
deano_123
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
They do two different things. Start with the Satchell kit first then upgrade the dampers when funds allow.
Tell me more, my lack of suspension knowledge is hugely evident here
Old 24th November 2014, 17:30   #4
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

Satchell kit replaces the original uprights, wishbones, hubs, adds upper and lower braces, as well as strut tower stiffening, strut top plates and top mounts.

They are designed for a 40mm inverted insert, typically a Bilstein unit is used, however AST, AVO etc can make an insert which will work, a Widetracked Saxo Rally car I service for has Proflex 3 way inserts with remote reservoirs.

Colin himself just uses the bilstein inserts on the 205, as does Dean gammon on his 1700 hillclimb 106.

the satchell kit aims to correct the poor geometry and behaviour a modified 106/saxo has as standard, reducing bump steer and adding lots of much needed wheel travel, as well as being a LOT stronger, using larger wheel bearings and stiffer hub carriers as well (they use 307 units)
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 19:03   #5
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Phase 2 VTS , E61 M5
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
MuZiZZle is on a distinguished road

Your drive is tarmac?, any camber on it?
Old 25th November 2014, 13:53   #6
deano_123
Established Member

Quote:
Would I not be better off going with a set of AST 2/ 3 ways and see how I get on with them?

I dont know a great deal about the satchel setup, I've read only positives about the rear setup but havent found any feedback on the front setup.
Old 25th November 2014, 15:16   #7
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Whats the car being used for?
Old 25th November 2014, 15:44   #8
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whats the car being used for?
Used?

Errrr
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 16:12   #9
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

rephrase....whats the cars intended use? lol
Old 25th November 2014, 16:31   #10
deano_123
Established Member

Quote:
rephrase....whats the cars intended use? lol
The cheek of these folk.

Its built to go on track, its a pretty serious build not a stripped out saxo with a show cage. The only part I havent put any effort into is the suspension as I really dont understand that side of it all
Old 25th November 2014, 16:58   #11
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

that's why people pay guys like Colin to do it for us
Old 25th November 2014, 17:46   #12
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Colin has revised all the geometry. Its taking the suspension on the car to the next level. It will cope much better with what you throw at it. On track I would say it will be more planted when riding the curbs or with camber changes. On the rear the greater damper movement gives a more precise handling trait.

Your 2 and 3 way suspension gives more specific damper control. You can control weight transfer under acceleration and braking and play with the bump and rebound independently but having the best suspension around it as a basis is probably the most important change you can do.
Old 25th November 2014, 18:51   #13
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore
Central Counties Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk1 JP4'd VTR, '16 Fabia Monte Carlo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jeffchiz is on a distinguished road

is there a website with all the satchell products on?

jeffchiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 06:05   #14
deano_123
Established Member

Quote:
Colin has revised all the geometry. Its taking the suspension on the car to the next level. It will cope much better with what you throw at it. On track I would say it will be more planted when riding the curbs or with camber changes. On the rear the greater damper movement gives a more precise handling trait.

Your 2 and 3 way suspension gives more specific damper control. You can control weight transfer under acceleration and braking and play with the bump and rebound independently but having the best suspension around it as a basis is probably the most important change you can do.
Will a coilover setup that uses the original pickup points work with the satchell re-engineered setup or does that require a whole new coilover setup? I dont want to have to buy twice but I'm thinking it would be best to start with the original points to get used to the car then go onto the Satchell stuff
Old 26th November 2014, 07:40   #15
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
Will a coilover setup that uses the original pickup points work with the satchell re-engineered setup or does that require a whole new coilover setup? I dont want to have to buy twice but I'm thinking it would be best to start with the original points to get used to the car then go onto the Satchell stuff
In all honesty Dean, I'd just get the Satchell stuff fitted, you're doing a proper job with the rest of the car, and it's the best kit out there by a country mile.

Besides, it'll make the shell more desirable to me when you split it and break next year
Old 26th November 2014, 08:29   #16
deano_123
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
In all honesty Dean, I'd just get the Satchell stuff fitted, you're doing a proper job with the rest of the car, and it's the best kit out there by a country mile.

Besides, it'll make the shell more desirable to me when you split it and break next year
In the back of my head I want to get a shell and take it back to the metal, T45 weld in, seam welded etc but I dont want to do it to this car as I've had it nearly 3 years and only drove it once, I want to get this one finished and enjoy it next year whilst having another shell properly done.

Old 26th November 2014, 09:10   #17
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
In the back of my head I want to get a shell and take it back to the metal, T45 weld in, seam welded etc but I dont want to do it to this car as I've had it nearly 3 years and only drove it once, I want to get this one finished and enjoy it next year whilst having another shell properly done.

Get an S1 Rallye, they're the bestest.

Or an Onyx Black S1 XN if you can find one, I hear in non-sunroof guise they're the hidden gem in the crown of the 106 world.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:37   #18
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchiz View Post
is there a website with all the satchell products on?
no - i have some products but I've not got round to getting the more complicated stuff on. Mainly because they require someone with the right knowhow to fit.

Kev
Old 26th November 2014, 11:39   #19
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Its a complete replacement suspension kit. Fronts and rears are completely different. If you want to do it once then save up for the kit and get a set of dampers that can be converted to 2 or 3 way at a later date.

I can help you with that should you go that route as we can supply the whole package.
Old 26th November 2014, 12:08   #20
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

website is on the way and they have a Facebook page