Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 6th December 2014, 19:15   #1
Daniel_Saxo_VTR
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR phase 2 with SUPERSPRINT ! ;D
Daniel_Saxo_VTR is on a distinguished road
Default Drive shaft fitting & replacement

Hi guys,

I am getting noise from my intermediate drive shaft bearing, so I have order a new driveshaft. The driveshaft I have on order is branded J&R and is apparently much stronger than the OEM item. It features solid shaft, higher rated bearings and higher quality CV joint rubbers. It has set me back £28.99 brand new!

Anyone have any experience with these shafts?

Also, how much gearbox oil is recommended? Whats the best stuff to use?

Any special tools required to remove and fit the new shaft?

Any tips?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Daniel
Daniel_Saxo_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 19:27   #2
johnmclaren

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1, Wicked Red Mk2 VTS
johnmclaren is on a distinguished road

Replaced both my shafts with these a few months back, cant complain for the price. A bit of resonance between 4000 and 4500rpm though. Doesn't bother me really. Extremely easy to fit. I didn't even need a ball joint separator tool. One came apart with me pushing down on the wishbone, the other with a few whacks of the tickle stick. Just make sure you have 30mm socket for the driveshaft nut. Gently lifting the disc with a jack will also help as it'll lift the strut and help the wishbone to drop down. And unbolt the ARB too, it'll help.

For the oil, I couldn't get the level plug out. So I just measured how much came out and put the same amount back in through the breather on the top of the box. Used some Comma Gear Oil 75W iirc, will probably do a proper oil change soon though.

Also this will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q9CbgqnA1w
johnmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 19:52   #3
Daniel_Saxo_VTR
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR phase 2 with SUPERSPRINT ! ;D
Daniel_Saxo_VTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmclaren View Post
Replaced both my shafts with these a few months back, cant complain for the price. A bit of resonance between 4000 and 4500rpm though. Doesn't bother me really. Extremely easy to fit. I didn't even need a ball joint separator tool. One came apart with me pushing down on the wishbone, the other with a few whacks of the tickle stick. Just make sure you have 30mm socket for the driveshaft nut. Gently lifting the disc with a jack will also help as it'll lift the strut and help the wishbone to drop down. And unbolt the ARB too, it'll help.

For the oil, I couldn't get the level plug out. So I just measured how much came out and put the same amount back in through the breather on the top of the box. Used some Comma Gear Oil 75W iirc, will probably do a proper oil change soon though.

Also this will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q9CbgqnA1w

Hi John,
So overall, the driveshaft seems good? What do you mean, slight resonance at 4000rpm? A droning noise? Isn't that usually wheel bearing?

Ill check out that video later, cheers
Daniel_Saxo_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 19:53   #4
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

I use J&R shafts, can't fault them with a two year warranty. Bearing can be a pig to get out the bracket if it's been there a while.

Worth doing a gearbox oil change at the same time.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452645
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 20:03   #5
johnmclaren

Well, I'm not really sure what the noise is to be perfectly honest. However it did appear immediately after I changed the shafts. It's just like a hum at 4000rpm, then dies off after 4500rpm. However it has nothing to do with speed, as it does it through every gear at this RPM. Maybe it's not even the shafts, I haven't really investigated it any further as it doesn't bother me.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:10   #6
johnmclaren

Actually I do remember investigating it haha. I read something that due to the fact OE shafts are hollow and these are solid, they arent as good as filtering out engine vibrations etc. So, in my case it seems I get more vibrations at a certain rpm, and as the shafts are solid, they just transmit the vibrations into other parts hence more noise.

Whether that is a load of bollocks or not, no idea. But I just accepted it and haven't had a problem, and I'm not worried about it in the slightest. And for £25-£30 per shaft with a 2 year warranty, can't go wrong really.