Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 13th February 2007, 23:06   #1
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!
Default How-To-Guide: Colour code and mesh a mk2 grill

Here is a quick guide to colour coding and meshing a mk2 grill:

We start off with a standard front end - looking rather boring:

So we remove the grill from the car, easy as pie, 7 torx head screws on the inside of the bonnet, unclip it, and remove... Then take off the chevrons...by compressing the clips on the back...

We are now ready to start cutting out the slats... i use'd a dremel tool to get rid of the majority of the slats...(make sure you wear eye protection)

You need to cut out nearly all of the backing but leaving the edge frame... you also need to leave to two tabs at the top on each side... as these house the mounting screws to reattach the grill to the car...

I then decided to neaten it all up by seperating the backing from the front... in order to do this you have to drill out the plastic rivets that hold on the backing...

I then smoothed down all exposed edges to make it nice and smooth..(beware it's a messy task)

It is then time to sand down the front of the grill and the chevrons ready for paint... I used 1200 grit paper...

3 Layers of grey primer was applied to the surface... allowing time for it to become touch dry and being gently sanded between layers...

After leaving it for 24hours for the primer to dry it was ready for the first layer of paint

Make sure you allow the paint to dry before applying another coat, and the paint should be sanded between coats to avoid the orange skin effect...

Once three coats of paint have been applied, leave it to dry for 24hours and then it is ready for laquer...(make sure when using metallic paint that you apply Clear laquer...

I then prepared everything ready for the mesh

Then the mesh needs to be trimmed, leaving an overlap, you need to make sure that you don't cut off too much, remember you can trim more off but can't add anymore! You also need to trim out a whole so that you can still reach the bonnet release catch once the grill is fitted..

Once the mesh has been trimmed down accurately and fits the backing of the grill it is time to glue gun it in place...

Once the glue has set fit the backing back onto the front of the grill and glue gun the backing back on by regluing the plastic dowels... then refit the chevrons... IT IS NOW COMPLETE and looking thoroughly sexy...

I will add pictures of it back on the car when it's daylight and not raining!

EDIT: Here are some pictures of it on the car, once all cleaned up

Update/Edit:

After having the grill on my car for several months i noticed the top had started to become a little loose... so i removed it, put my standard grill back on... and set to work on sorting out the grill..

I would now like to recommend that a glue gun is not used... or if it is used is supplemented with a different glue... as it may work loose over time... especially if the surfaces were not 100% dust free when applying....

I used 5minute epoxy resin, that is essentially a VERY strong version of araldite... that works on anything from marble, concrete, metal and plastics...

I peeled off the glue gun on the top of the backing, and have epoxy resin'ed it back on, and i can safely say it's not going anywhere

If you have glue gunned yours, please keep an eye on it... as i would hate for yours to work loose....

Hope that helps you guys!
Alex

Last edited by furioAL; 19th April 2007 at 23:27. Reason: Added pictures of it on car, polished up :y:
furioAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 84 Users Say Thank You to furioAL For This Useful Post:
-Dan-, -Frisby-, 12u55, all-new_me, Azrael, badasssaxo, Banks_VTR, Beauu, Benji-Westcoast, Benzz, Bondi, bootsey, Brenz, bunkerstevo, callows93, Chico999, Claki, Connorsaxo, D4N91, danellis92, DannySkittles, daveyb1987, de51_Hodgey, DJDannyB, dobbo_1, dredwood, easty27, EazyDayz, EM07_BEN, Eskimo, foreverwelsh, Furio-92, gamblesvtr, GTJames, Havark, ian-bru, james_shannon, jamiemackie, jamieross, jbrady72, JBrown92, Jodz1988, justan1100, kai91, Law_UK, Lew77, lisa-vtr, Lloydie, Luke-saxo, Luke01uk, ManGo-SaXo, Matt, MattCutts, mike_gally, Odsy, oli208, PSPDan, Punts_123, Renniecoleman, Road-Runner, robbie18753, Rotax73, r_coull, Sandy869, savo, Saxomatic, Saxoo_VT_Whatt, saxostuart, Scotty16, shaunsvtr, Snickers420, sr666, stevosvts, stormjojo1982, t-dogg, tapper, Toz, tweedie, vinnie_long, wa11y, Welsh, yagersecho, YourDreamGirl, _-john-_
Old 13th February 2007, 23:13   #2
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JP4urio, 306 DTurbo SportShed
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

Nice one mate, quality guide! Cant rep ya but would if i could looks well smart

P.S you get my cheque?
TU-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 23:23   #3
saxo2tone
Established Member
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): vw golf
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
saxo2tone is a glorious beacon of lightsaxo2tone is a glorious beacon of lightsaxo2tone is a glorious beacon of lightsaxo2tone is a glorious beacon of lightsaxo2tone is a glorious beacon of lightsaxo2tone is a glorious beacon of light

great guide rep on its way been after this for ages i cant wait to do mine
saxo2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 23:36   #4
Ma5on
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo Derrrr LMAO
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Ma5on is a jewel in the roughMa5on is a jewel in the roughMa5on is a jewel in the rough

very gudddddd looks nice mate
Ma5on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 01:12   #5
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!

Thanks for the positive comments guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Saxo View Post
P.S you get my cheque?
Yes buddy, will cash it in asap.... and will pm you when the backbox has been sent out

Cheers
Alex
Old 14th February 2007, 06:50   #6
S34MER
East Midlands
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Skoda Fabia VRS
iTrader Score: 18 (100%)
S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!S34MER is as cool as a cucumber!

Al thats a great thread, i see loads of people asking how to do this, if it was made a sticky, then that would help solve alot of these problems! top lad, i am another who cannot rep you lol, muxt have sent you some "green love" in the not so distant past!

Turbo Diesel is where the future lies

Bow to the VRS
S34MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 08:40   #7
barrettp
Super Moderator

Car(s): Focus
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!

Top write up, covers everything you need to know. I have added it to the FAQ sticky thread at the top of this section.

Mike
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:46   #8
ChrisJ
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo furio
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to behold

Great stuff Al, would rep you, but have to spread it around first.

P.S. Get some fitted pics.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:26   #9
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

my bro is away back in london, but i went out and took some pics of the grill fitted for you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 17:50   #10
BENSAX3
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): under age
BENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant future

well done on a good job looks sex. rep coming your way, catch
Old 14th February 2007, 17:51   #11
BENSAX3
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): under age
BENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant futureBENSAX3 has a brilliant future

well thats g*y i need to spread the love sorry
Old 15th February 2007, 09:56   #12
yerdusk
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): '72 Bug
iTrader Score: 24 (100%)
yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!

nice guide, i shall be following ur advice this weekend! Hope it turns out as good as urs! cheers.
yerdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 13:29   #13
LeviSaxo
Regular Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 2001 Gold VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
LeviSaxo will become famous soon enough

quality guide mate! about time someone done one!

Thanks!
Old 20th February 2007, 16:36   #14
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

top guide!
Old 5th March 2007, 13:34   #15
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

christ; that car is CLEAN!

I need to cut the slats out of my desire grille.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 13:56   #16
em_sexy106
L-plater

Car(s): pug 106 zest in poison red
em_sexy106 is on a distinguished road

that car is also very gorgeous
em_sexy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 14:15   #17
mrorange2
Established Member

Car(s): Fiesta ST & Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
mrorange2 is a jewel in the roughmrorange2 is a jewel in the roughmrorange2 is a jewel in the roughmrorange2 is a jewel in the rough

that looks mint might do that with my spare MK2 grill cheers buddy.
Old 5th March 2007, 14:54   #18
bez_vtr
L-plater

Car(s): saxo vtr
bez_vtr is on a distinguished road

looks realy smart and clean lol you wash it before you took the picture
bez_vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 15:05   #19
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Just washed, detailed, claybar'd, dressed and poorboys polished

Cheers for the positive comments guys

Alex
Old 5th March 2007, 17:35   #20
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the guide! very very handy, and nice and simple to follow! will be doing this to mine asap!

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkyG For This Useful Post: