Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 20th March 2016, 10:56   #1
Vtrturbosd

Vtrturbosd is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights Dim when bass hits? Whats the solution?

Hello people on this fourm good morning. Ok so i have installed a car subwoofer system into my vtrtubro. Its pushing around 1500 rms on stock electricals. When you increase the volume high the bass seems to sound less loud and also the xenon lights start to dim as the bass hits. Now i am aware about upgrading the alternator, big 3 etc, deep cycle battery, but do you think a power cap would do the trick because according to this car audio website i came across it mentions in the article that it will help it slighly. You can also get different sizes ones, which one is the best.
Vtrturbosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 12:46   #2
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Isn't that just what happens? Like if you fitted a lower powered sub and amp it wouldn't be as bad.

I looked into power caps when I was into this kind of thing, and you get most people saying they do fuck all with the odd person saying they actually work.

I think the only options are upgrade your wiring and alternator or downgrade your ICE.
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:35   #3
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

A capacitor does not produce electricity, you're just trying to suck more power than the car can produce. Be careful that the car doesn't go up in flames, as the insurance won't pay for vehicles modified in such a way.

Quote:
pushing around 1500 rms
rms figures are peak output handling capacity (max figure of what a speaker can handle). You're not pushing anywhere near that. Solve the problem by fitting a smaller sub.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:37   #4
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizanthapus View Post
they do fuck all with the odd person saying they actually work.
That would be the good people from halfords...
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 12:24   #5
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Capacitors are used to store charge and release it quickly for brief power peaks. So if you’re listening to music that has heavy bass (and therefore a need for pull more current in short bursts) you will benefit from a capacitor. However, the amount of benefit depends entirely on your setup. You might notice a huge difference or you might notice nothing. I am ‘running’ 2x 100w rms speakers and 1x 200w rms sub with no capacitor on the standard battery and alternator without problems.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 14:24   #6
deano_123
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road

Capacitor wont solve your problem, I had this with just one 10'' and it still dimmed the lights. Back in the Max Power heyday I had a 155 db corsa that ran 3 redtop batteries to power the speaker setup of 2 x RF 15''s each powered by their own amp, this overcame the drop in voltage

Last edited by deano_123; 15th April 2016 at 14:28.
deano_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 15:53   #7
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
Capacitor wont solve your problem
It will if it’s properly mated to the system – or it’ll at least reduce the issue.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote