Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 3rd June 2008, 08:49   #341
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I have saxo vtr (2000) im using Agip sport 10w-60 synthetic for 4000-5000 rpm.

gerbox oil Agip 75W-80.

???
What are your ambient temps where you live? 10w-60 is too thick in even the most extreme of temps, 10w-40 or 5w-40 should be fine.

75w-80 forn the gearbox is fine.

Cheers

Guy.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 12:45   #342
johndj86

johndj86 has a spectacular aura aboutjohndj86 has a spectacular aura about
Default oil

Im writing to ask where im able to find an engine flush as when i took of the rocker cover the oil was really thick like grease and im not sure why this has happend?? I have a saxo vtr 51 plate with 64000 on the clock!! Im also not sure what is the best oil and filter to put in the car???

thanks

johndj86
johndj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 12:49   #343
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Was the oil still black or did it look like custard?

Cheers

Guy.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:55   #344
johndj86

johndj86 has a spectacular aura aboutjohndj86 has a spectacular aura about

It was still black so i dont think any water is in it but its like sludge which doesnt look good!!

cheers

johndj86
johndj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 16:19   #345
oilman
Established Member

Dont bother with a flush, just do a couple of good oil changes with some decent oil and it should start to sort it out.

Cheers

Guy.
Old 28th June 2008, 19:34   #346
Psycho18
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mk1 White VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Psycho18 will become famous soon enoughPsycho18 will become famous soon enough
Default mobil 1 and mobil synt S difference?

i have noticed that the oil 5w-40 is called mobil synt S and the others are called mobil 1. Why is this? Is there a difference? just a bit confused
Psycho18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 20:40   #347
oilman
Established Member

There is a difference, the Synt S is a hydrocracked mineral oil, good quality but still a mineral oil. The Mobil 1 is their premium range and is a true PAO synthetic.

Cheers

Guy.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:07   #348
Psycho18
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mk1 White VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Psycho18 will become famous soon enoughPsycho18 will become famous soon enough
Default mobil 1 or silkolene

silkolene pro s 5w-40 fully synthetic is about £10 more than mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic. Will i be okay with 0w-40 or shall i spend that bit extra and have 5w-40? thanks. this is for a saxo vtr standard most of the time driven no more than 4000rpm.
Psycho18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 18:07   #349
Oo_ben_oO
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): i Own a Saxo vts 130bhp
Oo_ben_oO is infamous around these parts

Hi guys im after some decent oil to regain preformace. im not to sure what oil to use i know its gotta be 10w 40 as im from uk. at the moment im using cheap asda oil for now and i was thinking it will be ok its just oil.

until i spoke to my mate about it and he seems to think i need better oil or it will make my car decrease in preformance. he said i need preformance stuff like this oil thats kinda green dont know the name of it but its a green oil. sorry about this post but i dont know poo about cars. the car is a 1.6i 16v VTS w reg. cheers
Oo_ben_oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 18:35   #350
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18 View Post
silkolene pro s 5w-40 fully synthetic is about £10 more than mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic. Will i be okay with 0w-40 or shall i spend that bit extra and have 5w-40? thanks. this is for a saxo vtr standard most of the time driven no more than 4000rpm.
0w-40 is fine.

Cheers

Guy.
Old 29th June 2008, 18:38   #351
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_ben_oO View Post
Hi guys im after some decent oil to regain preformace. im not to sure what oil to use i know its gotta be 10w 40 as im from uk. at the moment im using cheap asda oil for now and i was thinking it will be ok its just oil.

until i spoke to my mate about it and he seems to think i need better oil or it will make my car decrease in preformance. he said i need preformance stuff like this oil thats kinda green dont know the name of it but its a green oil. sorry about this post but i dont know poo about cars. the car is a 1.6i 16v VTS w reg. cheers
Decent quality oil is always a good investment.

You can start by using a decent quality 10w-40 semi synthetic with regular changes such as this one from Silkolene http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6314-sil...ngine-oil.aspx

Up from there and your looking at 5w-40 synthetic, if you want to do the best for it then this is the route to go down, have a look at this good value one from Motul http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motu...synthetic.aspx

Cheers

Guy.
Old 5th July 2008, 23:16   #352
scottsaxvtr
L-plater

Car(s): saxo vtr fiesta rs turbo
scottsaxvtr is infamous around these partsscottsaxvtr is infamous around these partsscottsaxvtr is infamous around these partsscottsaxvtr is infamous around these parts
Default what should i use

ive got a saxo vtr 99 1.6 8v 100k doesnt do alot of miles a year doesnt get used that hard and its do a oil change now to o and it doesnt have any modifacations on it thanks for your help if given oil man cheers
scottsaxvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 19:21   #353
joshyvts
Infrequent Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 2001 black citroen saxo vts
iTrader Score: -1 (0%)
joshyvts is on a distinguished road

saxo vts 2001- using gtx 10w 40 atm but did try the castrol edge 0w 40 my mods are full supersprint exhaust system bmc induction fast road cams, i drive hard like a bitch

i do seem to use a fair bit of oil tho

joshyvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 22:32   #354
Lee_Boy
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): 2002 Saxo vtr + 1995 Pug 106
Lee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to beholdLee_Boy is a splendid one to behold

saxo
vtr
2002 with 70 thou on clock

wanting engine oil and gear box oil

does the odd 35 mile short journey and then the 220 mile 1s to santa pod.

been told 10 / 40 from local garage but thought i would ask a expert

thankyou Lee
Lee_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 11:09   #355
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyvts View Post
saxo vts 2001- using gtx 10w 40 atm but did try the castrol edge 0w 40 my mods are full supersprint exhaust system bmc induction fast road cams, i drive hard like a bitch

i do seem to use a fair bit of oil tho
I would go back to the Castrol Edge, a much better oil then the basic mineral GTX.

Or have a look at any other decent 5w-40 synthetic, plenty to have a look at here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:10   #356
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Boy View Post
saxo
vtr
2002 with 70 thou on clock

wanting engine oil and gear box oil

does the odd 35 mile short journey and then the 220 mile 1s to santa pod.

been told 10 / 40 from local garage but thought i would ask a expert

thankyou Lee
Lee,

10w-40 semi synthetic is thye norm, if you want better quality then go for a 5w-40 synthetic, Fuchs, Motul, Mobil and Silkolene are all great stuff http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:46   #357
hudson701
Regular Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS MK2. Lotus Elise Series 2
hudson701 is infamous around these parts

Saxo vts 2001
57000 miles

Hi

At the moment I have mobil 1 (put in during last MOT) in there but am not sure whether it is 0, 5w or 10w 40? What do these figures mean?

Please can you explain the differences between these grades and what is normally used in a vts as I am a complete and utter noob when it comes to selecting an appropriate engine oil.

I am due to get some new oil soon - what should I get? Should I stick with the mobil 1 as I heard its a good oil? I do mostly motorway miles and spirited country road driving, but no track days.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
hudson701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 12:08   #358
oilman
Established Member

The 10w-40, 5w-30 etc is the grade of the oil adn it refers to the viscosity of it at certain temperatures. The bit below has been taken from one of our technical articles.

A short lesson on Multigrades:

If you see an expression such as 10W-40, the oil is a multigrade.

This simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades, in this case 10W & 40.

This is made possible by the inclusion of a polymer, a component which slows down the rate of thinning as the oil warms up and slows down the rate of thickening as the oil cools down.

It was first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

For a 10w-40 to attain the specification target a 10W ( W = winter) the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity at low temperature. The actual viscosity and the temperature vary with the viscosity grade but in all cases the lower the number, the thinner the oil, e.g. a 5W oil is thinner than a 10W oil at temperatures encountered in UK winter conditions.

This is important because a thinner oil will circulate faster on cold start, affording better engine protection.

For a 10w-40 to attain the other specification target a 40 oil must fall within certain limits at 100 degC. In this case the temperature target does not vary with the viscosity grade, if there is no "W", the measuring temperature is always 100degC. Again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC., which is typical of maximum bulk oil temperatures in an operating engine.

The engine makers are, of course, very well aware of this and specify oils according to engine design features, oil pump capacities, manufacturing tolerances, ambient temperature conditions etc. It is important to follow these guidelines, they are important and are an are stipulated for good reasons.

If the engine has been modified, the operating conditions may well be outside the original design envelope. The stress on the oil caused by increased maximum revs, power output and temperature may indicate that oil of a different type and viscosity grade would be beneficial.

I hope that explains oil grades well enough for you.

The Mobil 1 is a very good oil, a true synthetic, but it would be better if you knew what grade. Ideally you want a 10w or 5w-40, but a 0w-40 won't kill the engine. Something like Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 or Fuchs Titan Supersyn is a good balance of cost and performance, if you do decide to change the oil
Old 10th July 2008, 00:11   #359
hudson701
Regular Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS MK2. Lotus Elise Series 2
hudson701 is infamous around these parts

OK cheers thanks very much for your advice that was very helpful I think I'll stick with the 5w 40 Mobil 1

I'm sure I've seen you post on the Lotus forum SELOC before about oil? If so you can help me with another question - will the mobil 1 be suitable to use in my k-series S2 elise as it is fully synthetic? The lotus is due an oil change and I was thinking of buying the Mobil 1...
hudson701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 06:47   #360
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

Saxo vts cammed on 60k, used on weekends and the odd track day

currently have 10w40 semi synthetic in

also gearbox has a lsd in there

currently have 75w-90 in there, again semi synthetic

looking for a good oil for the gearbox, only just been fitted got current oil but plan on changing it soon for a better oil and to clean it all out

current oil has been in 1000 miles, but will be looking for better quality oil if possible

also be after oil filter, just wondering what kind of deal you can do for me?

pm if you can please
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote