Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 15th January 2019, 13:16   #1
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road
Default Removing axle pins

Sorry if this has been asked before... Recently swapped out my very knackered rear axle for a IMaxles refurb that someone I know had purchased and ran for 1 year before taking the car off the road.

I was surprised to find that the drivers side pin clearly had not been replaced, though the passenger side had, also the ARB splines were ruined at one end such that there was only about 2mm engagement with the end plate.

Anyway, I used the beam as I needed to get the car on the road. I used new bearings and the passenger side (not surprisingly) is perfect with zero play.Drivers side is alot better than my old one and passed the MOT but there is a bit of play in it, this will be due to the obvious wear that was on the pin.

Wondering if it is possible to draw out the pin with the axle on the car - I saw a youtube video of it being done with a tool , where a ring of weld was built up around the inside of the pin after putting a nut in, it was then drawn off and the new one pressed in.

Is this really possible? has anyone done it? Anyone know where to get the tool (I have lost the link)?

Cheers
Craig
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 13:23   #2
dunne1145
L-plater

dunne1145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturbo View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before... Recently swapped out my very knackered rear axle for a IMaxles refurb that someone I know had purchased and ran for 1 year before taking the car off the road.

I was surprised to find that the drivers side pin clearly had not been replaced, though the passenger side had, also the ARB splines were ruined at one end such that there was only about 2mm engagement with the end plate.

Anyway, I used the beam as I needed to get the car on the road. I used new bearings and the passenger side (not surprisingly) is perfect with zero play.Drivers side is alot better than my old one and passed the MOT but there is a bit of play in it, this will be due to the obvious wear that was on the pin.

Wondering if it is possible to draw out the pin with the axle on the car - I saw a youtube video of it being done with a tool , where a ring of weld was built up around the inside of the pin after putting a nut in, it was then drawn off and the new one pressed in.

Is this really possible? has anyone done it? Anyone know where to get the tool (I have lost the link)?

Cheers

Craig

I replaced my pins with a camber setup. I just heated the area with a blow torch and tapped the pins out with a lump hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunne1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 13:29   #3
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

Ah, its not those pins I mean - its the pins in the beam that the trailing arm and bearings run on.

I just found this - anyone tried this / know where to get such a tool?

http://www.optimal-germany.com/en/bu...es-it-possible
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 19:58   #4
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Of course it works,it's a quite easy set up,tool costs around 350£ though.

https://www.alleuroparts.co.nz/stub-...-psa-rear-axle

https://www.repxpert.com/en/work/pro...product_ds3779

Last edited by VeiRoN; 15th January 2019 at 20:15.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote