Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 22nd March 2009, 19:53   #1
MR_N
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
MR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of light
Default Kit lens replacement

Hi all
looking for some advice in the lens field. Want one to replace the kit lens i have (18-55) on the d40, not "too" pricey but i dont want a shitter. Just a good alround lens. quite like the wide angle that the 18mm produces so id like to keep that function, and id like it to have a macro function.
Any reccomendations? Or am i talking bollocks, not totaly clued up when it comes to lens's.

thanks people

Sam

FCS 2011 SPECIAL AWARD - TRAX 2011 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - FCS 2012 SHOW AND SHINER WINNER - TRAX 2012 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - TRAX 2013 BEST SAXO
MR_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 20:05   #2
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

If i could start again i'd have started with the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. Its a pricy one though but for the range it covers it would save so much hassle. Theres a Sigma 18-200mm which is a hundred odd ££ cheaper too but not as advanced image stabilisation & slightly softer throughout its mid zoom range.

Then if you liked the wider stuff i'd recommend the Sigma 10-20mm. Seems to be the lens which spends the most time attached to my camera!

You got a budget/purpose in mind?

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystic For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd March 2009, 20:17   #3
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

there are two options for a sub £300 lens if you want to stick near the kit lens focal range, now im not talking about nikon lenses as i know dick about them, but the two after market lenses are the :

tamron 17-50mm f2.8

sigma 18-50mm 2.8

both great lenses, but the tamron jsut takes the edge, both can be got second hand for about £200 or less and new about £280+
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:51   #4
MR_N
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTR
MR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of light

Mystic - The sigma 10-20 looks a great lens and i can see me using that alot, then i guess i could always change back the the original lens for the 20-55 shots i would need. Budget wise im looking at sub £300 i would say.

don - will take a closer look at the tamron, seems bang on for what im after

Will probely end up getting the tamron and maybe a dedicated wide angle in a few months time, like the sigma mystic said.

EDIT - Just had a peep at both the sigma 10-20 and tamron 17-50. Can get the tamron for £269 which seems great dollar for brand new. The sigma is a bit more pricey but im guessing i can stretch to it for the wideangle stuff. These 2 will most definatly be the next 2 lens's. Thanks guys, great help and advice. imaginary rep

FCS 2011 SPECIAL AWARD - TRAX 2011 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - FCS 2012 SHOW AND SHINER WINNER - TRAX 2012 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - TRAX 2013 BEST SAXO

Last edited by MR_N; 22nd March 2009 at 21:57.
MR_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:53   #5
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

The sigma is a great lens, its quite big so the cameras flash will probably cast shadows of the lens onto the photos. Its also pretty heavy, which bothers some people lol.

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:11   #6
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

i have the tamron, and im planning to get the 10-20 siggy soon