Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 21st July 2006, 01:35   #1
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Polished Bliss vs BMW 330Ci + Leon Cupra R

I did these two cars just over three months ago. Both cars were in Glasgow – a long way to go, but work’s work.

1. BMW 3-Series – 330Ci

Less than a year old, suffering from a multitude of sins (heavy swirls, scratches), all brought about by the worst dealer preparation I have ever seen – someone had even run a rotary over the light clusters, swirling them heavily! The paint also felt very gritty, so I steeled myself for a long session. Here’s the process…

Wash (all done in heavy rain!)

Whole car rinsed at moderate pressure using the Karcher
Alloys treated with Meguiars Wheel Brightener cut 4:1, left 60 secs and rinsed with hose
Whole car foamed with Poorboy’s Slick n Suds (4:1 mix in foam gun) and left to dwell for 5 mins
All trims and inside the arches treated with Meguiars Safe Degreaser cut 10:1
Whole car washed with Poorboy’s Slick n Suds using lambswool (bodywork) and microfibre (wheels and inside arches) mitts, and the two bucket method
Whole car rinsed with an open-ended hose
Car then moved inside the garage and dried with waffle weave towels

Clay

Blackfire Clay (aggressive – no point wasting time)
Blackfire Clay Lubricant
Excess lubricant mopped up with waffle weave towels

Polish

Whole car taped with 3434, then machine polished with PC, using Menzerna IP and Lake Country orange light cut pads. The IP removed some minor cobwebbing and heavy marring from the claying step, but hardly touched the deeper swirls and didn’t do anything to the scratches. Switched to Menzerna Power Gloss and Lake Country orange light cut spot pads, and went at it hard, with maximum pressure and speed. Four goes later, I estimate that 75% of swirls and none of the scratches were removed, and that was it! Holy crap, BMW paint is hard! I showed the owner the results, talked through the options, and agreed to complete the rest of the car to the same standard. A lesson for others here – if you can’t complete a job to the standard you or the customer expects, say so as soon as you become aware of it – be honest and the customer will appreciate it. That said, I felt terrible, first car I’ve done that I was truly unhappy with at the end of the day. So, I knocked a few hours off the price, and I will be returning with a rotary once the art is mastered. To help mask the remaining defects, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze was applied by hand. All residues were buffed with Poorboy’s Super Thick n Plush towels.

Protect

All bodywork protected with Menzerna FMJ, buffed using Poorboy's’ Mega Plush towels
All exterior trims treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant, applied using a microfibre pad and buffed after 5 mins with waffle weave towels
Exhaust tips polished with Autosol and protected with Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh, both applied using Poorboy’s Work Towels
Tyres dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel

And here’s the pics…

Total work time was 10 hours, of which 7 hours were spent machine polishing in a cramped garage. As I said, I was unhappy with the final results, although the customer was pleased, and commented that the car looked vastly better, even though ~25 % of the original defects were still visible under 3W Luxeon lighting (looked great in daylight though!). Live and learn.
Old 21st July 2006, 01:36   #2
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold

2. Seat Leon - Cupra R

Owned by Alan (Aldo), a member on here. Less than three months old, also suffering from a multitude of sins (heavy swirls, scratches), brought about by the second worst case of dealer preparation I have ever seen (I am not doing any more cars in Glasgow!). Fortunately the paint was smooth, so no need for claying this time. Here’s the process…

Wash (all done in heavy rain!)

Alloys treated with Meguiars Wheel Brightener cut 4:1, left 60 secs and rinsed with hose
Whole car foamed with Poorboy’s Slick n Suds (4:1 mix in foam gun) and left to dwell for 5 mins
All trims and inside the arches treated with Meguiars Safe Degreaser cut 10:1
Whole car washed with Poorboy’s Slick n Suds using lambswool (bodywork) and microfibre (wheels and inside arches) mitts, and the two bucket method
Whole car rinsed with an open-ended hose
Car then moved inside the workshop and dried with waffle weave towels

Polish

Whole car taped with 3434, then machine polished with PC, using Menzerna IP and Lake Country orange light cut pads. The IP removed all the defects in two goes (using 1000W Halogen lighting as a guide), bar an area of serious scratching on the front bumper, which took Menzerna Power Gloss and Lake Country orange light cut spot pads, with maximum pressure and speed. With the defects all out, Clearkote Red Moose Glaze was applied with a Lake Country black glazing pad, to enhance gloss and wetness. All residues were buffed with Poorboy’s Super Thick n Plush towels.

Protect

All bodywork protected with Clearkote Carnuba Moose Wax, buffed using Poorboy's’ Mega Plush towels
All exterior trims treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant, applied using a microfibre pad and buffed after 5 mins with waffle weave towels
Exhaust tips polished with Autosol and protected with Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh, both applied using Poorboy’s Work Towels
Alloys protected with Klasse All In One, tyres dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel

And here’s the pics…

Total work time was 10 hours, of which 6 hours were spent machine polishing. I was really happy with the correction work on this one, and the customer was very pleased with the final results. I needed this after the BMW! Only bummer was the amount of cloud when it came to taking the pictures ”“ it was really, really wet in the flesh, and the pictures don’t do it justice. C’est la vie!
Old 23rd July 2006, 02:45   #3
Dan
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon FR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!

Another great thread mate!!
Old 23rd July 2006, 02:46   #4
Baz
Saxperience Hardcore!
West Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fiesta ST150
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!Baz is absolutely fabulous!

all these cleaning threads make me feel i should clean my car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansowden View Post
What is the full name of the stuff you use to t cut badges, Thanks
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 13:47   #5
smartattix
L-plater

smartattix is on a distinguished road

how much do you charge for this type of valet and where r u based??
smartattix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 13:53   #6
saxoash
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!saxoash is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartattix
£20 p/h and travel and accommodation expenses over 100 miles
saxoash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 13:53   #7
droopster
Established Member
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS all the way baby.
droopster has a spectacular aura aboutdroopster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartattix
Not too sure on price but I know they are in Scotland. Not sure if they travel and if they do how far they would travel.
Beat me to it and with the correct answer.
droopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 13:54   #8
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

think its £20 an hour he charges

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 14:08   #9
James
Saxperience Addict
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Beeeemer
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!

The BM looks dead clean... Shame your not 100% happy with it, if my car looked as clean as that i would be
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 14:14   #10
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud
The BM looks dead clean... Shame your not 100% happy with it, if my car looked as clean as that i would be
if your car had its bumper on and arch didnt fall off you would be happy

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 17:00   #11
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

man your cars are cleeeeeeaaaannnn mad amount of work gone into each 1 no wonder its taken around 10hrs for some of them!
Old 24th July 2006, 17:03   #12
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

£20 an hour not bad! But if hes doing jobs with 10hrs work thats £200 a day thats crazy money must be a good wage!
Old 24th July 2006, 17:08   #13
gelo
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Furio
gelo is on a distinguished road

bloooody hell, dont half make a difference - makes em look brand new!
Old 25th July 2006, 21:24   #14
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylVTR
£20 an hour not bad! But if hes doing jobs with 10hrs work thats £200 a day thats crazy money must be a good wage!
Cheers folks, thanks for the kind words. £200+ is a lot for a full detail, but in return you get the car back to as near as showroom condition as possible. This can add hundreds to the resale value come selling time, so it's not a bad deal if you think about it. Also, if you had lashed £20-30k on a motor only to end up with it looking terrible, a few hundred quid to get it looking A1 again isn't a big deal. And for the £20 an hour, I don't stop - I rarely take breaks, and won't finish until it's been properly done... or I can't do anymore, as above with the BMW.