Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 10th September 2008, 14:35   #1
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!
Default Removing Strut/Spring/Front Shock/Ease Of Drive Shaft Removal Guide

Changing Front Springs / Shocks

IF I FIND ANY OF MY IMAGES OR TEXT USED ON EBAY AS A GUIDE I WILL BE PROSECUTING YOU.

This will also help you in removing the driveshafts also. Thats if you want to do it the proper way.
If your like me and quickly want to swap them look at the following steps.

12 and 13. The passenger one pulls straight out, once the wishbone is split from the hub get someone to pull the hub outwards from teh car and the drive shaft comes straight out, for the drivers side though there is 3 bolts above the centre bearing which you need to take out.

You may notice some pictures are in the dark, thats because i started doing this at 2 in the morning when i was bored.

Few people have asked for it, so here we go.
Where possible al try put socket sizes etc up, will take some editing as it was months ago when i last did it.

This is purely how i found it easiest, others may disagree but still, my method works.

Tools Needed

Ball Joint Separator - Fork Type And The Windy Type Maybe needed
Full Set Of Sockets
Hammer
Mallet
Mole Grips - A MUST
Chisel
Ratchet Spanners - if you have them
WD40
Blow Torch
Spring Clamps
Torx Bits
Something to rest Drive shafts on - unless you drain the gearbox oil and take the shafts out, but tahts pointless imo.

TIPS SECTION

1. WD40 All nuts well in advance

2. Loosen the Strut Retaining Nut On The Top Don't Take It Off Simply Loosen it.

^ The nut in the middle, requires a 19mm swan neck spanner and a Torx bit, cant remember what size.

REMOVING THE STRUT

1. First off you need to get the car jacked up and on stands (depends if you care about health and safety).

2. Loosen the front wheel bolts but don't take them off, do this now as if they are on tight, you will probably have to lower the car back to the ground.

3. Once the car is jacked up continue to take both front wheels off.

4. So now we have the strut looking like this.

5. Best bet is to WD40 all the nuts, like drop link and track rod end nut.

6. First i took off the drop link bolt. iirc 16mm socket needed if they are OEM ones. May need your big mole grips at this point as you may find they thread turns as wel. Simply clamp the top of the drop link to the strut, then this will stop the thread turning as well as the nut. (see my changing drop links guide for pictures of this if you need them).

NOTE: if you didn't need mole grips to stop the thread turning the track rod end maybe seized to the strut, if so, wind the nut back on, get some wood and hit it with a hammer up wards to try and release it from the strut.
This didn't work for me, in the end i nackered the thread and decided i cba and would buy new track rods for the sake of £17 or whatever.
So i blow torched mine tap of a hammer and they were out.

7. Next up get a friend/random stranger from the street, to come and put their foot firmly on the brake pedal. Get a long bar which can take a 3/4 socket and take the drive shaft nut off, iirc 22mm socked needed.
Make sure they dont take their foot off the pedal when you go round the other side, as the brakes are not as firm
If you find the brakes slipping, i started the car, left it running bumped the brakes and did it, it made them solid again .

Now you will have something like this, i left the driveshaft nut on pureply for the photo.

8. The drop link nut needs to come off. I used a torx bit as mine were fairly new drop links so were not corroded. Put the spanner on 19mm iirc then put the torx bit in the middle and loosten it.

NOTE if yours rounds off in the middle of the thread, dont worry about it, try loostening the nut then if the thread starts to spin, just mole grip it like the track rod ends i talked about previously.

9. SKIP THIS IF YOU DONT HAVE ABS
You need to take the sensor off, basically there is a black plasic cover, undo the first nut, slide the cover off.
Then there is another couple of nuts, take them off and just let the sensor hang, i cant remember how many nuts there is.

Will end up looking like this.

10. Time to take the calipers off, round the back tehre is 2 bolts which need a 19mm socket.
Simply take them off and have some thing ready to rest the calipers on.

11. Take the pinch bolt off the bottom of the strut.
This is it here as shown in an earlier picture.

12. Take your ball joint tool the fork type, and hammer it between the bottome of the strut and the rubber seal on the wish bone, i always put the flat side of the fork upwards against the side of the strut to stop the rubber on the ball joint splitting.

(i dont have any pictures of this sorry.)

Once split just simply pull the hub so the wishbone sits to the side of the strut.

We are almost ready for removal.

13. Get a 13mm socket and get someone to loosten the nuts on the strut top.

tahts the 3 nuts in that photo.

While they do that, keep tight a hold of the strut as it will drop, get something to rest the drive shaft on also, (tahts if your doing it my way and have not removed gearbox oil) rest the shaft on it.

Once the botls are out the top push the shaft from the centre of the hole so you dont leak any gearbox oil, get your mate to do this and keep a hold of the shaft while you take the strut from the car.

Thats it struts off.

IF YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE DRIVE SHAFT AT THIS POINT YOU CAN, THE PASSENGER SIDE PULLS STRAIGHT OUT, THE DRIVERS SIDE HAS 3 BOLTS IN IT CONNECTING TO THE BACK OF THE ENGINE WHICH YOU NEED TO TAKE OUT

14. Have a quick break and some baileys.

15. The car will look something like this.

^ bar the puddle of oil as i knocked the little table i had supporting the shaft.

Last edited by Steve; 10th September 2008 at 14:55.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 14:46   #2
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

REMOVING THE SPRING

1. Get the clamps on the spring, and start winding to compress them.

2. Once its compressed, you will know its enough as you can move the spring about, take the retaining nut off the top of the strut, you need a torx bit and a swan neck spanner to do this. Once the nuts off, remember the sequence you take the top mount etc off.

Remove the spring from teh strut and carefully de compress it.

^ Will look like that.

Ebaich 35mm springs compared to 30mm Koni Springs

3. Now remove the black plastic shock cover from teh strut, it will slide off.

4. Under neath taht you have a bump stop, check to see which way it came off, not sure if it matters.

Will now have bits like this all over the place

Me decompressing springs
Old 10th September 2008, 14:46   #3
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

REMOVING THE SHOCK

Now you can get a proper fork tool to remove the nut, but i dont have one, mole grips for teh win.

1. Get your mole grips/fork tool. And start loostening the nut, mine was on really tight, so some stamping on the mole grips was in order.

2. Once that is loose the shock will literally fall out if you hang the strut upside down

^new koni against old.

3. Put your new shock in and put the nut back on, i just gussed tightness if i am honest.

NOTE WITH THE KONIS MINE WERE ADJUSTABLE, TO ADJUST THEM COMPRESS THE SHOCK, TURN CLOCKWISE TO STIFFEN THEM, ANTI CLOCKWISE TO SOFTEN THEM, THEY NEED TO BE COMPRESS WHILST TURNING.

4. Slide the bump stop on (once again with the konis there was some spacers to put on, you get a diagram when you buy the kit)

You should now have something similar to this.

5. Compress the new spring.

6. Put the spring back on the strut, make sure you put it on the right way, normally an arrow on them.

7. Put the top plate and top mount on, and put the securing nut back on, doesnt have to be stupid tight just nip it.

8. De compress the spring.

9. Re fitting back to the car is the reverse of removal.

I have probably missed something, feel free to comment, or assist on where i can add something in
i rushed this to help someone out on here, so bare with me while i go through and edit.

Last edited by Steve; 10th September 2008 at 15:01.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 10th September 2008, 15:00   #4
Mr_suv
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Hondaaaa
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!

great guide should be stickied!!
Mr_suv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:02   #5
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvvysaxo View Post
great guide should be stickied!!
easy enough to follow?
Old 10th September 2008, 16:12   #6
megabob
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
megabob has a spectacular aura aboutmegabob has a spectacular aura aboutmegabob has a spectacular aura about

great guide do want as sticky

oh and "+" to rep
megabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 17:49   #7
Richie2104VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): VTARRRR/S
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!Richie2104VTR is a great team player!

Lmao at the baileys!

Busy day off was it steve?!

In the zone at the ring....It's the only way to do it!
Richie2104VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 00:03   #8
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

great guide steve, ill sticky it now

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 08:34   #9
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2104VTR View Post
Lmao at the baileys!

Busy day off was it steve?!
took the day off just to do the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_VTR View Post
great guide steve, ill sticky it now
wahoooo vbpoints for me
Old 12th September 2008, 14:11   #10
Paulp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

Good guide mate. I'll Rep you when i next can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 18:52   #11
ryhornvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2003 posi VTS
ryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to beholdryhornvtr is a splendid one to behold

As ive just done this too, the driveshaft nut on mine was 20mm. As for taking the droplinks off, steve you noob, theres a hole for an allen key on the end of the thread, so you can hold it still while undo'ing the nut.

Good guide though.
ryhornvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 19:12   #12
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhornvtr View Post
As ive just done this too, the driveshaft nut on mine was 20mm. As for taking the droplinks off, steve you noob, theres a hole for an allen key on the end of the thread, so you can hold it still while undo'ing the nut.

Good guide though.
see thats where you FAIL. Because over time they rust and if the nuts seized, it rounds off

i mentioned it in the guide
also i did use the torx tool on mine, but the first time i did the springs the other ones were fucked.

Mine were not allen keys though.

Last edited by Steve; 12th September 2008 at 19:14.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:38   #13
shooorn94
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 1.1??
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!shooorn94 is absolutely fabulous!

Awesome guide Steve, can see this coming in very handy cheers for all your advice.
Old 13th September 2008, 01:38   #14
Mark51p
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Golf GT
iTrader Score: 28 (100%)
Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!

nice one,

p.s. - guide for sale on egay now
Mark51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 10:20   #15
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark51 View Post
nice one,

p.s. - guide for sale on egay now
my solicitors will be in touch
Old 24th January 2009, 16:31   #16
Richy25988
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GT140 Saxo VTS Track Car
Richy25988 is a jewel in the roughRichy25988 is a jewel in the roughRichy25988 is a jewel in the roughRichy25988 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Get a long bar which can take a 3/4 socket and take the drive shaft nut off, iirc 22mm socked needed.
30mm Actually
Old 12th March 2009, 20:58   #17
Martin-106gti
L-plater

Car(s): 106 gti
Martin-106gti is on a distinguished road

Great guide mate just looked at it as i have gaz coilies on the way next week so will use this to an extent i think.
rep
Martin-106gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:09   #18
leightonjay
Infrequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo MK 1 VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
leightonjay is on a distinguished road
Cool

no wonder you broke the threads on the track rod end.!!!!

Hitting them on the threads is wrong, if you hit the strut on the side where they go into with a decent hammer they should fall out easily, all they need is a little shock its only 9 times out of ten they will come out with one whack.
leightonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:12   #19
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonjay View Post
no wonder you broke the threads on the track rod end.!!!!

Hitting them on the threads is wrong, if you hit the strut on the side where they go into with a decent hammer they should fall out easily, all they need is a little shock its only 9 times out of ten they will come out with one whack.
You not think i tried that?
you think i litterally just attacked it???

And i didnt hit the threads, i left a nut on the bottom threads, used the proper tool.

They were seized solid, used fuck off hammers and the proper ball joint tools.
Heat brought them out straight away but fucked the seals.

Everyone who works on cars, should know that no two cars are the same.
Just because you hit yours 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 times worked doesnt mean it would work on my car.

I have done a fair few now. Some are a pain, some come out straight away and need to be mole gripped to get the nut off, some dont.
Its the way it is.

for the sake of £8 i dont care if it needs new track rod ends.

Last edited by Steve; 13th March 2009 at 10:25.
Old 6th April 2009, 07:17   #20
Sparco_Tom
Saxperience Addict
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Yeaaahh Fiesta
iTrader Score: 105 (96%)
Sparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really niceSparco_Tom is just really nice

nice guide mate
Sparco_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote