Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 25th May 2009, 01:13   #21
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

sounds mad. when do you use metering (like partial/spot/evaluative)? what type of scenario? like program mode or something?

and the 16-35 focusing probs!? wtf? you were using AF assist yeah man?
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 01:17   #22
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
sounds mad. when do you use metering (like partial/spot/evaluative)? what type of scenario? like program mode or something?

and the 16-35 focusing probs!? wtf? you were using AF assist yeah man?
I had the 16-35 on the same settings as I use for the 10-20, so the IR beam firing out and then the flash on the 580. A few times it just wouldnt focus in a situation where the 10-20 does etc.. Donno it just didnt seem happy for some reason as it was firing perfectly (I think) this eve at a mates gig when i tested it on the 1D.

I usually allways shoot partial metering, Manual on camera, flash ETTL, iso 800, center point, shutters between 0.3 and 1/50...

could anything like that on the 1D... would it fuck...So popped say the 70-200 and 580 onto the 30D on those settings and it did

hence me mega confused lol!
Old 25th May 2009, 01:23   #23
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I had the 16-35 on the same settings as I use for the 10-20, so the IR beam firing out and then the flash on the 580. A few times it just wouldnt focus in a situation where the 10-20 does etc.. Donno it just didnt seem happy for some reason as it was firing perfectly (I think) this eve at a mates gig when i tested it on the 1D.

I usually allways shoot partial metering, Manual on camera, flash ETTL, iso 800, center point, shutters between 0.3 and 1/50...

could anything like that on the 1D... would it fuck...So popped say the 70-200 and 580 onto the 30D on those settings and it did

hence me mega confused lol!
can't be a duffer surely? look... permission to borrow it for harpers one saturday? Need you to cover me week after next actually. I'll be sober, and of course will play by big boys rulez.

you know that if you chose evaluative, spot or partial (i think there is one more of the 1D average maybe?), but are in Manual mode, it does nothing to final outcome of the image yar?
Basically all I'm saying is it's one less setting to Fault Find if you like
Old 25th May 2009, 01:26   #24
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
can't be a duffer surely? look... permission to borrow it for harpers one saturday? Need you to cover me week after next actually. I'll be sober, and of course will play by big boys rulez.

you know that if you chose evaluative, spot or partial (i think there is one more of the 1D average maybe?), but are in Manual mode, it does nothing to final outcome of the image yar?
Basically all I'm saying is it's one less setting to Fault Find if you like
Im pondering, I dont see how they could be duff, as the shots we tested with outside and sent you worked well, then for example the top two pics are with the 1D and have come out well. For some reason the issue was coming with the flash, and something being to clever/pissing me off out of my control.

Honestly I put both bodies side by side, put the exact same settings into them, were the results the same? not buy a long shot lol!

Ive said before you can borrow my gear on big boys rules, and so long as you dont go raping off hundreds and hundreds of actuations

I thought in manual metering modes did effect things... hmm something new.
Old 25th May 2009, 01:39   #25
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Im pondering, I dont see how they could be duff, as the shots we tested with outside and sent you worked well, then for example the top two pics are with the 1D and have come out well. For some reason the issue was coming with the flash, and something being to clever/pissing me off out of my control.

Honestly I put both bodies side by side, put the exact same settings into them, were the results the same? not buy a long shot lol!

Ive said before you can borrow my gear on big boys rules, and so long as you dont go raping off hundreds and hundreds of actuations
Quote:
I thought in manual metering modes did effect things... hmm something new.
nope! I thought this initially as well, as in it adjusts the metering of the flash but it doesn't.
Average ETTL and Evaluative ETTL and Evaulative ETTL II metering exists for the flash - which is done by the body though (but NOT the settings you're thinking of!), on the 10D it's only Evaluative ETTL, but for some reason is bloody excellent , whereas on the 40D is has all three. Going back to the body, if you're referring to say your shots where a flash is fired then it could be the differences in the ETTL metering at fault (well not at fault, but just the way the bodies deal with a particular scenario in a different way), if it's also with ambient stuff then I'm stumped!

naa, max it'll be is 170 actuations with harpers (if it's actually busy that is), probably nearer 30
Old 25th May 2009, 01:44   #26
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

its mostly all the flash stuff where im scratching my head mate.

Which is why I was wondering if a custom function was set up which was causing the metering of the flash to be way way off.

30D seems to meter for the flashes quite well as standard DOH!

I think atm im going to have to resign the fact my 'style' is going to change an awful lot with the 1D as its requiring totally different input settings than the 30D

At least the top two pics are a style which not as vibrant, might work quite nicely. We shall see.. shame they are heavily reliant on the lighting guys actually putting a nice white light on the dj for a change rather than red/green/blue etc.

I have adjusted the ETTL settings on the body now as they were a custom function on ETTLII which as said was set to average but now trying evaluative
Old 25th May 2009, 01:49   #27
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
its mostly all the flash stuff where im scratching my head mate.

Which is why I was wondering if a custom function was set up which was causing the metering of the flash to be way way off.

30D seems to meter for the flashes quite well as standard DOH!

I think atm im going to have to resign the fact my 'style' is going to change an awful lot with the 1D as its requiring totally different input settings than the 30D

At least the top two pics are a style which not as vibrant, might work quite nicely. We shall see.. shame they are heavily reliant on the lighting guys actually putting a nice white light on the dj for a change rather than red/green/blue etc.

I have adjusted the ETTL settings on the body now as they were a custom function on ETTLII which as said was set to average but now trying evaluative
totally with you man, it's kind of why I avoided using the 40 for so long, the screen was a big problem, because when I showed the punters a shot I'd just taken, they could see themselves much clearer (well bigger anyway) and invariably wanted another shot without them looking a skank (which then failed anyway) and also the contrast ratio was much shitter making midtones appear dark so all my pics initially looked like some junk off a point and shoot. then the flash metering was what I thought was shit, turns out it just much more sensitive to exposure around the centre of the image rather than the whole image, and that's to do with the layout of the AF points (it's different on a 10D compared to 20, 30, 40, and xD series), so I changed to average and make do with having to guessimate the exposure I'm likely to get and use FEC religiously.

evaluative, for me, was all over the shot really.
Old 25th May 2009, 01:54   #28
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Now you are getting why I was moaning in the initial post then

the 1D just seems very very sensitive to light, I mean another example ive shot a mate 2nite in a venue which was pitch black, flash on 1/40 - 1/100 still only needed iso 200 at times. It just seems that in a dark room the 1D loves fast shutters, so on the plus side I should see sharper images, but the lighting isnt as fun

Who would think changing bodies would cause so much shit eh! espec as they are the same make lol!
Old 25th May 2009, 01:56   #29
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

I'm going to have to talk to you in person to get my head round this fully i think

feel like I should've warned you now, although I thought I was being fussy at the time, must be a canon thing
Old 25th May 2009, 02:01   #30
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
I'm going to have to talk to you in person to get my head round this fully i think

feel like I should've warned you now, although I thought I was being fussy at the time, must be a canon thing
warned me about what? totally changing all my gear LOL!

Hmm well might just have to resign my self to using a 30D for clubs and the 1 for the rest... and then flog the 16-35 and take a hit on some lost £££ and save for a 300mm
Old 25th May 2009, 02:16   #31
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
warned me about what? totally changing all my gear LOL!

Hmm well might just have to resign my self to using a 30D for clubs and the 1 for the rest... and then flog the 16-35 and take a hit on some lost £££ and save for a 300mm
I meant as in the ball ache in essentially relearning photography when you buy a new body.
hold on to that 16-35 man... it'll come good soon enough. or I'll buy it defo.
Old 25th May 2009, 02:20   #32
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

its gonna be one massive ball ache!!

fucking thing, lol! Honestly man i was devistated on friday, I knew it would be different and be a bit of getting used to but it made me feel like over 2ks worth of spending would have been better off at the bottom of the thames I wasnt expecting all of my settings to effectively be erm shit lol!