Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 25th May 2010, 22:42   #41
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

They do work, when done properly
Old 25th May 2010, 23:07   #42
dave_1
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region Member

Car(s): saxo vts, Landrover td5, 16 tonne skyline
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
dave_1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
Do you need to get dash out to take the rubber mat from behind dash? Might have a go at removing that tommorrow and maybe a few other things
did u ever find out the answer 2 this
dave_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 23:09   #43
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

I cut it all out. You can get every bit out apart from the patch behind the heater. But this stops it rattling anyway. All the stuff around the fusebox etc you can get out.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:20   #44
Lippy
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Nitrous'd Saxo VTS '52 Plate (S33 VTS)
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Lippy is on a distinguished road

Im liking this thread! all stuff ive been looking into!

Few additions... bit extreme but...

Remove low torqued bolts nuts and fixings in engine bay and replace for Aliminium ones,

cut off the brackets and fixing studs in the back of the car, rear sealbelts weigh quite a bit! Cut off the rear tow eye thingy, its pretty heavy
Alu gear knob... ? lol

Replace all bungs with carbon fibre, remove wheel arch liners (it'll rust like shit though)
BMC CDA is the lightest intake iirc?
Team Dynamics pro race alloys are 6.1 kgs each so pretty light!

I have to disagree with you Maddison though as they track slag look can be an amazing sight! I hated it at first until I saw 'Colin's stripped saxo! have a look if you havent already

Someone else post something else that can be removed ! im really interested in this thread!

Icelandic vts Progress Thread
Cars life story Post 1
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:21   #45
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

only filling half the tank...

what a tank 40 litres?

20 litres about 20kg saved.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:40   #46
Chr15
Saxperience Addict
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): ITB'd Saxo VTS & Mazda 6 MPS
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Chr15 has a spectacular aura aboutChr15 has a spectacular aura aboutChr15 has a spectacular aura about

passenger seat so no passenger!

loads there too
Chr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:43   #47
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

a good shit and piss...

2kg saved there.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:50   #48
Lippy
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Nitrous'd Saxo VTS '52 Plate (S33 VTS)
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Lippy is on a distinguished road

I agree with the petrol idea! i only ever half fill now but iirc my nos bottle weighs about 3 stone lol

on a more serious note (taking a dump aside lol) the airbags etc weigh quite a bit! especially the ones in the sides of the mk2 vts's...

Icelandic vts Progress Thread
Cars life story Post 1
Lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 00:34   #49
xcore
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): VTS
xcore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
only filling half the tank...

what a tank 40 litres?

20 litres about 20kg saved.
im a poor student so only run with 10-15 quid in the tank at one time anyway!
25-30kg saved!
xcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 00:53   #50
Saaamon
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Saaamon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
Well i will be moving the battery to rear of car, lighter bonnet, etc. I know how weight distribution works and that not to just remove it out from the back hence moving battery, lighter bonnet, rubber mat thing behind dash.
I'd leave the battery where it is to keep corner weights more even. Leave the spare wheel in and get a decent 30kg+ cage and that will help balance the car out after its been stripped. A fuel cell in the boot will put more weight on the axle. You'll notice a fibreglass bonnet, takes alot of weight off the front and in turn more weight ends up on the rear.
Old 27th May 2010, 02:52   #51
oz_
Infrequent Poster

oz_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcore View Post
im a poor student so only run with 10-15 quid in the tank at one time anyway!
25-30kg saved!
Only 20Kg saved sorry.

Petrol weighs less that water remember. It's oil, and oil floats on water.... (.73kg/L)

A full tank only weighs 29Kg if it's only 40L

You also have to remember that despite a full tank adding that weight to the car half a tank would probably be just as detrimental in corners. When you turn in on a hard corner all the fuel would fly towards one side of the tank. Think of it like having a little man inside your car running at the sides when you turn - it could be the thing that causes you to lose grip if your just on the edge.

As mentioned earlier - loosing weight without a proper configuration is detrimental to the cars handling. Unless your going to get a smaller/baffled tank then only putting half a tank in might be worse
oz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 07:14   #52
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

also if your playing with the weight of the car relocating things helps
as the top gear article shows removing everything from the rear doesnt exactly help get he corner weights better and the car will behave better

battery in the boot washer bottle in the boot move fuse boxes internal to the car same wit ecu ect and you can pull the center of grip back by getting more equal weight on the tyres all round

imo (after heavily stripping 3 cars including taking an angle grinder to one) unless you then put weight back over the rear from the front your going to end up going backwards a lot as the car gets skittish if not set up right or on budget stuff

as a result of this lot ive concluded in my car to leave most of the interior in and replace body panels with fobregash and windows with polycarb relocate a few things and be happy

past that then really unless you only want to save 0.003 of a second a lap then imo theres no point unless you plan to fit a cage to put some weight back in
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 12:18   #53
Regan
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): vtr soon to be a Vts-Gti
Regan is on a distinguished road

sunroof ! Thatl save some ! Get a non sunroof skin or carbonfiber roof ! Not cheap tho !
Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:36   #54
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

Is it worth cutting the underside of bonnet or save and buy fibreglass or carbon?

The sunroof part of roof, the part which it sits in that drops down with hex screws in. Can they be undone so the flat with hole inside or can you not get rid of that part as its in way of my cage getting welded in properly atm, but if can do that i might get a carbon blank for it.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:45   #55
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

The saxmax at college has the hole filled in, so yes the sunroof frame can be removed
Old 27th May 2010, 13:48   #56
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippy View Post

I have to disagree with you Maddison though as they track slag look can be an amazing sight! I hated it at first until I saw 'Colin's stripped saxo! have a look if you havent already
i know what having it stripped out is like, mine was completely stripped out for about 18months, no carpet, doorcards, even no passenger seat. absolutely everything inside the car not needed was ditched short of the heater matrix.

it makes the car 'feel' quicker but its mostly in your head because of the increased amount of noise, when you put it to the test on track i was gaining 0.4 of a second over a 1/8 mile drag strip which is a lot on a drag strip but its nothing on the road.

more often than not having it stripped out looks scruffy, untidy, cheap and nasty. it can look good but if you're doing it for the image then thats gay.

i put all the interior back in as its very rare that i track my car anymore, back when it was stripped it was on track every month so i saw a purpose in leaving it stripped but now i don't i'd rather have a little comfort and to be honest, with the power its pushing now, losing 20-30kg won't make much difference!

so in short, yeah it can look 'cool' but for an everyday car that doesn't get track used, no thank you.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:57   #57
webby
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

webby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of light

only a few trackdays a year leave it alone imo,

i have a couple booked and the only thing i will be doing is removing my sub and amp, not so it's lighter so i dont have to worry about it smashing free.

christ i think the car now is rattly and noisy i couldnt stand it stripped out as a daily drive that isnt seeing alot of track action whatever that maybe
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:09   #58
oz_
Infrequent Poster

oz_ is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, I'll dig out the sunroof from the shed and weigh it for everyone. It does weigh a fair bit. Especially how high it is in the car.

I used a road sign I found in the hedge to cover it. Makes a slight 'bong' when I shut the doors now!
oz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 14:21   #59
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
the only way is to get rid of everything that you physically don't need to drive the car. Anything non structural can be cut out
Yeah, remove everything that is not legally required, compromises structural integrity, or mechanical necessity to drive the car. Everything else can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
top gear did a test not so long ago using a 207 gti (in the magazine)
they did a lap, stripped it immediately, not sure by how how much but i'm 99% sure it was more than 50kg, the stig then did another lap in the stripped out 207 and could not get a better lap time. he said the reason being was that removing weight from the rear had made the back end unbalanced and was losing too much speed on the corners.

keep that in mind when you all strip it out for that 'track slag' image.
Yup, have tried to find this to reference it, and here it is;

http://www.topgear.com/UK/photos/how...-car?imageNo=0

This is very important reading to everyone who is thinking of stripping their cars.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:07   #60
kevhoust
Regular Poster

Car(s): ep3 civic, rwd vtec saxo W.i.p
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
kevhoust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
What bonnet is that? Mk2 are lot heavier then mk1.

All these weights were taken from a mk1 vtr so not sure if the weights will differ slightly on the mk2 versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
I'd leave the doors on

Maybe just the drivers door then and use polythene for passenger side since ill not be sitting there lol.
kevhoust is offline   Reply With Quote