Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 4th February 2011, 22:24   #181
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswoodward View Post
Ive read this from start to finish and I have to say I want to twat you one right now, I don't even own a Saxo anymore so I'm not being bias they are good cars they generally put a smile on your face and have some character unlike most jap crap, so go back to your fantasy pretending your in Fast&Furious and stop slagging saxo's off on a Saxo forum you mug.
That's great maybe you should seek anger management if you get that wound up by someone posting on the internet

they are great cars in standard form, loads of fun for very little money.
what i was trying to point out was they are not the be all and end all of fast cars. Tune one (highly tuned) and it becomes shit as will any small car, the parts were never designed for it. I am far from bias as i've even got a tuned saxo!

Don't really know where your 'fast&furious' comment came from but if that's what you think, crack on

anyway, i've got nothing else to add now the original thread topic has been answered and to carlosvt - all the best with the low boost set up, for the budget you have set aside it should make for a very reliable set up which will make it a much more enjoyable car to drive
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 21:37   #182
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Thank you mate I can't wait to start on it!
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 20:49   #183
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Black Corsa C SRi
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

im back to thinking about bodies now, id 100% decided i wanted boost as well until i was reminded today about how good bodies run.
looking at at power bodies with gmc cams and a predator ecu, but i think im gonna build up my engine with gmc cams in and run on the standard ecu, then when the corsa sells ill get the predator bought then start saving for bodies.
next year high comp pistons and ph4 cams etc and start trying to hit 200bhp+
Old 8th February 2011, 20:54   #184
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

i hope you dont think its that easy to hit 200hp with na?

much more money needed that expected and its not going to be as nice to drive as a 200hp turbo or s/c car. (wich will cost suffienciently less to achieve that power goal)
Old 8th February 2011, 20:59   #185
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore

LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

of course i dont, the cars going to be an ongoing project. later in the year ill have access flow benches and things so should be able to do all the headwork myself. apart from mapping it should only cost me for parts, no labour
Old 8th February 2011, 21:02   #186
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
im back to thinking about bodies now, id 100% decided i wanted boost as well until i was reminded today about how good bodies run.
looking at at power bodies with gmc cams and a predator ecu, but i think im gonna build up my engine with gmc cams in and run on the standard ecu, then when the corsa sells ill get the predator bought then start saving for bodies.
next year high comp pistons and ph4 cams etc and start trying to hit 200bhp+

that all well, but to gain the extra BHP to get 200 bhp out of an N/A is not cheap, and will lose Bhp lower down the rev range, really wouldnt be great on the road.

plus not as easy as get ph4 and high comps, firstly, will need ph5 to get 200 bhp, with solid lifters, very good head work, then, the con rods changing all the bottom end sorted, would want the best stuff for 200 bhp N/A engine, as it very high revving engine when getting that much power out of N/A.

all well and good trying it, but will be very costly, i was going to do it, but really dont see the point any more 160 bhp is good for a little saxo.

as anyone who has a really 200 bhp N/A engine asked them now much works involed,

but if you want to good luck with that, but will need wilder cams than ph4 and will need soild lifter, as rev limit will be around the 9k mark with that sort of cam profile.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 21:06   #187
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo vtr mk 2
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Olly is on a distinguished road

i keep planning boost for my car, then take it for a drive with the throttle bodies, and i just dont think i will change. Theres nothing quite like it....

Boost is impressive and very cool, but itll have to wait untill i get bored of itb's!

Budget tb's setup will still cost a fair wedge, but if your serious about it, imo will offer the most grin factor.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:06   #188
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
of course i dont, the cars going to be an ongoing project. later in the year ill have access flow benches and things so should be able to do all the headwork myself. apart from mapping it should only cost me for parts, no labour
having access to flow bench doesnt mean you know what good results look like. you could be messing it all up.
so you know how to shim up solid lifters, time up cams and build what effectively would be a racing engine etc?

and your talking about using gmc cams, these im sure would be great for fast road but wont get you anywhere near the magic 200hp mark, so you would effectively be building 2 engines?

in my opinion and experience, you need to decide what you want and if you can afford it. the power you want and a budget (then X2) and then stick with it.

this is constructive critiscm and not a dig. a LOT if not all project that start out like this never get finished so i hope this is different.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:09   #189
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly View Post
i keep planning boost for my car, then take it for a drive with the throttle bodies, and i just dont think i will change. Theres nothing quite like it....

Boost is impressive and very cool, but itll have to wait untill i get bored of itb's!

Budget tb's setup will still cost a fair wedge, but if your serious about it, imo will offer the most grin factor.
if you hop in for a lap with me when mines done olly then you will have a good comparison, as you have been in mine when ITB and boosted. after you get out i expect your next purchase will be a blower of some sort
Old 8th February 2011, 21:11   #190
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
until i was reminded today about how good bodies run.
A turbo car should run like it came out the factory turbo'd - starting perfectly, idling perfectly and have off boost perfect manners.
Much harder to get a highly tuned na car to do that (ph5's etc)
Old 8th February 2011, 21:13   #191
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

yer it as easy as just working on a standard engine, alot more involed in biulding them sort of engines.

but good luck, also olly dont do that it cheating for a start and i am like that i just love the noise and will be good all th way to germany should be intresting.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 21:17   #192
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo vtr mk 2
Olly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
if you hop in for a lap with me when mines done olly then you will have a good comparison, as you have been in mine when ITB and boosted. after you get out i expect your next purchase will be a blower of some sort
More than happy to!

Maybe im being anti. wouldnt know where to start with a boost project personally.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:19   #193
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

How to turbo your 16v reliably for up to and not anymore than 1.5k coming to you soon!
Old 8th February 2011, 21:30   #194
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly View Post
More than happy to!

Maybe im being anti. wouldnt know where to start with a boost project personally.
if you want to do it properly, come an talk to me
Old 8th February 2011, 21:32   #195
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

danny has that right if you want to do it well then speak to him, if you can blag most of the stuff like me then do it yourself
Old 8th February 2011, 21:45   #196
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
danny has that right if you want to do it well then speak to him, if you can blag most of the stuff like me then do it yourself
i didnt mean that in a funny way it could of looked gav, just read back through.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:56   #197
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

lol in what way? anyway imo on this topics as usual think of what you want how much you want and spec from there with both methods, maybe go out in a few and see what you prefer.

I am always going to be biased and say buy a mancharger and run 1 bar nothing less
Old 8th February 2011, 22:15   #198
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore

I'm still learning! I can time cams and I understand duration and how adjusting each cam changes overlap etc, but no I don't know how to shim solid lifters yet. I'll be building the car alongside my motorsport engineering degree, so all stuff I'll be learning. In the grand scheme of things I know next to fuck all and don't claim to, but I'll learn! I want to get something done this year like bodies or turbo, run it and enjoy it for a while then build from there next year.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:17   #199
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDagley View Post
A turbo car should run like it came out the factory turbo'd - starting perfectly, idling perfectly and have off boost perfect manners.
Much harder to get a highly tuned na car to do that (ph5's etc)

Sorry I meant sound, no idea why I wrote run. I know high strung na's have idle issues and stuff
Old 9th February 2011, 19:36   #200
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

There's a reason that RS Clio fan's are kicking off that its 2.0 N/A engine is to be replaced with a 1.6 turbo....is all i'll say.
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote