Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 15th September 2011, 18:35   #281
scot-ish
Established Member

Car(s): Audi S5, Corsa, Defender 90 CSW
scot-ish is on a distinguished road

aye, i know i lost a wee bit of torque lower down, was shown in a couple RR graphs, but gained a wee bit more bhp higher up, the car revved up easier, but now i think about it, i think i was told that it would drop revs faster between shifts, and that i should really "heel-toe" to try keep her gan but the rev drop would be better on the sychro's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I've seen pics of him and he's like Ayres Rock with tattoos.

Last edited by scot-ish; 15th September 2011 at 18:39.
scot-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 19:36   #282
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

It would be a real shame if people begin to stop using this forum because of some of the hate being thrown around.

So people have different opinions, and some companies may want to push products they sell more than others. Its a fact of life and GMC are not the only ones who do it.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:59   #283
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
Is this Cumbria 106 turbo charged?

John you wouldn't be telling me how 'to do it' would you? Who's to say you know 'how to do it'. I just asked for an opinion, the fact you are relunctant to give us it shows you are not happy with the question, It seems to you there is no spec turbocharged TU that would make a great track car... As in your opinion s/c is ALWAYS better ????

I didn't think as a tuner you could be so narrow minded
no it is superchared--so if you want all the power you can possibly get on the road +some to spare in a saxo i see no need to have any of the turbo downsides + alot of other complications to get it to work as well .
For about the 10th time i will say again i have nothing against turbo,s --specced correctly and used in the right cars
but for me the saxo just isn,t one , its light ,its front wheel drive and a very small engine bay and engine was never designed to be turboed,you have to move oil filter ,cut into oil supply system ,most don,t restrict the oil fow ,so are dropping pressure to other parts of engine then you need weld oil returns to sump .
i know it can work but I do not like interferring with std systems unless I have too,the more you change the more problems you usually create-- --too many possiblilites of other problems --
please don,t send a million posts saying this and that car don,t have any of theseproblems -
-it,s my opinion that leaving as many things as possible the way the engine designer made it is a better idea .
If you want to turbo , then on you go .
about a year ago i offered a cast manifold for the c2 ,which one of my trade customers in taiwan makes , no moving of oil filter etc,all i got was when are you going to build one and prove it works ?
so as far as i can see there is no market for another a professional made turbo kit --itseems to all about getting s/h units + home builds --
Old 16th September 2011, 11:09   #284
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Peugeot/cit never designed the car to house a supercharger in the bay either, nor intercooler.

Until rotrex develop this geared s/c I believe a turbo has much more of an advantage Everywhere except lag which is nothing if car is driven properly, even not driven properly I believe a turbo car would have better pace
Old 16th September 2011, 11:21   #285
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

move the radiator to the boot. Plenty of room then
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 11:28   #286
Mieran
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
move the radiator to the boot. Plenty of room then
thinking of doing this on my next project.

Not the actual engine radiator but going to run a charge cooler and the radiator for that going in the boot
Mieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 11:31   #287
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

[QUOTE=scot-ish;5559449]this is deffo getting interesting now.

only thing i picked up earlier, john you said a lightened flywheel was not a good idea in a small cc engine running a turbo charger? - apologies if you didnt, sure i read that back a few pages.

I ran a 3.9kg(i think it was) Cusco fly in my starlet, sure it was around 1kg less than standard, been a while since i messed with cars like that, but considering another for next year.
main reason i run this flywheel was, reduced lag, there was less RPM drop during gear changes, which kept me higher up the rpm, and in the peak boost for a longer time.

this is genuine question, do you think i would have been better running the standard fly?[/QUOTE

the difference in spool up should be very little but what a heavier flywheel will do is to soften how it rises and maybe make it easier to kep wheelspin under control --look at top fuel dragsters --fly fit 3 stage centrifical clutchs and big flywheels to aid traction
if rpm is dropping on gear changes then maybe your gearing i wrong or maybe the light flywheel is allowing rpm to drop --less mass+ inertia--ideally rpm should go from just over max rpm to maxtorque when you get next gear and if turbo is right then it should well over spooling region-- so it should not be a problem
dropping below this area is why i don,t like trubo,s on FWD

Last edited by axsaxoman; 16th September 2011 at 11:57.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 11:47   #288
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): supercharged vts. 1.1 saxo. accord type r
adzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Peugeot/cit never designed the car to house a supercharger in the bay either, nor intercooler.
he said he likes to keep as much as possible the way it was meant to be.
no t ing into water and oil lines.

one of the reasons i decided on charging and not turbo was the charger uses its own seperate oil suply not the engine oil.
your car wipes mine out , any day . looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
lady charger ftw in this case
adzvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 16:21   #289
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzvtr View Post
he said he likes to keep as much as possible the way it was meant to be.
no t ing into water and oil lines.

one of the reasons i decided on charging and not turbo was the charger uses its own seperate oil suply not the engine oil.
he also said they were never designed to have a turbo up front. same can be said with a charger.

fair enough with oil lines etc but its not like its a big deal is it? get sump welded and t-off a couple of water pipes is hardly rocket science.. you never hear of people having problems with them unless bodged. same could be said for everything we "mod".
Old 16th September 2011, 16:23   #290
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

what rotrex charger is equivelant to a gt25 turbo?
Old 16th September 2011, 16:39   #291
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

adzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these parts

Quote:
what rotrex charger is equivelant to a gt25 turbo?
do we really care. turbos are fun, chargers are fun. itbs are fun.
and there are some awsome tu examples of each.
the problem isnt which is better.
as personally the charger was a better route for me.
but thats just it its a personal opinion.
(id love to do a turbo build and an itb build)
but at the moment id like to make my charged setup the best it can be.
and for those against superior saxo turbo moments ill use the gas to help my midrange out a little ha ha.
john has a very strong personal opinion of why he prefers chargers thats his call.
in all fairness he doesnt need to explain himself. hes got alot more experience than i have for sure.
so which is better. the answer is non are better than the other just different.
Quote:
Old 16th September 2011, 16:44   #292
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
do we really care. turbos are fun, chargers are fun. itbs are fun.
and there are some awsome tu examples of each.
the problem isnt which is better.
as personally the charger was a better route for me.
but thats just it its a personal opinion.
(id love to do a turbo build and an itb build)
but at the moment id like to make my charged setup the best it can be.
and for those against superior saxo turbo moments ill use the gas to help my midrange out a little ha ha.
john has a very strong personal opinion of why he prefers chargers thats his call.
in all fairness he doesnt need to explain himself. hes got alot more experience than i have for sure.
so which is better. the answer is non are better than the other just different.

wow wow wow adz, this aint no dig at you mate. this is a debate. not an argument. i dont know if you have noticed but there has been some real good info in this thread. squeezing info and opinions out of people can have benifits to everyone.

that was a simple question. id like to do some looking into specifics of performance of both types of blowers. it may come in useful for debates that might come up in the future.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:53   #293
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

lol i know its not a dig dude.
its one thread ive actually enjoyed and there aint many i do.
the info is pretty good.
i personaly think that the c30 74 is a gd enough match for the 16v.
and cant understand why the 94 would be needed.
(its bad enough on a 74)
plus having driven in everyday traffic its not mareish atall.
ive heard the 94 can feel a little stalled at lower rpms.
the gt25 is good for around 270 and perfect for smaller displacement engines
and going by specs its similar to the c30 74 which is good for between 250bhp to 300bhp
Quote:
Old 16th September 2011, 16:55   #294
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
lol i know its not a dig dude.
its one thread ive actually enjoyed and there aint many i do.
the info is pretty good.
i personaly think that the c30 74 is a gd enough match for the 16v.
and cant understand why the 94 would be needed.
(its bad enough on a 74)
plus having driven in everyday traffic its not mareish atall.
ive heard the 94 can feel a little stalled at lower rpms.
the gt25 is good for around 270 and perfect for smaller displacement engines
and going by specs its similar to the c30 74 which is good for between 250bhp to 300bhp
ok mate i was thinking the 74 too.
its a good charger tbh, tam made 240@wheels with one, it was overspinning but they still seem reliable with overspeeding them. what are rebuild costs like?
Old 16th September 2011, 17:01   #295
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

havent looked into rebuild costs, as im not overspinning yet (will be after the 7th november)
i imagine them to be a bit more than ur average turbo rebuild tho. but could be wrong.

definantly think the 74 is perfect for a fast road/track car as with matched other mods, lairyer cams arent such a problem with a charger the produce plenty of go. and as we know there is only so much power you can actually use everyday.
Quote:
Old 16th September 2011, 17:04   #296
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
havent looked into rebuild costs, as im not overspinning yet (will be after the 7th november)
i imagine them to be a bit more than ur average turbo rebuild tho. but could be wrong.

definantly think the 74 is perfect for a fast road/track car as with matched other mods, lairyer cams arent such a problem with a charger the produce plenty of go. and as we know there is only so much power you can actually use everyday.
in all fairness on the road any 200hp+ saxo/106 will be a weapon. not much will drive away from you.

the rotrex chargers arent anywhere near as popular as turbos hence why i think rebuilds could cost a lot (dont know though)

im trying to convince a friend to supercharge his MINT 106 gti.. hes got a lot of things, all he needs is the kit really. should make for a decent fast road car.
Old 16th September 2011, 17:09   #297
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
in all fairness on the road any 200hp+ saxo/106 will be a weapon. not much will drive away from you.

the rotrex chargers arent anywhere near as popular as turbos hence why i think rebuilds could cost a lot (dont know though)

im trying to convince a friend to supercharge his MINT 106 gti.. hes got a lot of things, all he needs is the kit really. should make for a decent fast road car.
he wont be disapointed with it if he does, and its not to much hassle to build. and the noise it makes higher up the revs is like nothing uv heard b4 lol. just sounds like its tearing the air
Quote:
Old 16th September 2011, 19:10   #298
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
throttlebodies make a nice sound, boost makes you go quicker.
That's not strictly true now is it.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:30   #299
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Bump

More talk of tuning please.

Talk about s/c, turbo an tb's to your hearts content
Old 6th December 2011, 19:34   #300
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Can I talk about missing my TB fix?

Im feeling like a crack addict.