Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 18th July 2006, 20:53   #1
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Polished Bliss vs Elise No.1

Just after the New Year, the sun up here in Aberdeenshire shone for a few days, and I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity… to get a mate's Elise sorted for the remainder of the winter. We had been snowed off in the run up to Christmas, and despite the sun it was no warmer... in fact the temperature was a problem, but more on that later.

The Elise is an amazingly curvy car – my mate had taken me out for a quick run in it in the autumn, but it’s not until you get your hands on it so to speak that the curvy nature really hits home. Not one panel flat enough for a decent reflection, and lots of small gaps, fins and scoops in need of polishing by hand. Oh well, here goes…

When I turned up the car was dirty enough to mask the condition of the paint, so first thing to do was get rid of the muck via a normal wash. Here’s the before pics…

All the loose stuff was hosed off, then all exterior surfaces were washed with Poorboys Slick & Suds shampoo using a lambswool wash mitt and the two bucket method. I swapped to a microfibre mitt to tackle the wheels, which were suffering from very bad brake dust corrosion. Then I rinsed it all off and finally dried everything using a waffle weave microfibre.

Next up we inspected the paint. Somewhat surprisingly, it was actually in great condition. A number of minor scratches, but no swirls, and a lot of stone chips on the front end, but there’s very little you can do about them anyway (they are nearly always to deep to polish out). However, what was clear was that the paint was suffering from a lot of bonded contamination by tar spots, particularly along the sides and on the rear bumper. So, I left the machine polisher in the car and grabbed my clay instead. Firstly I softened the clay bar by sitting it in warm water for a few minutes. Then I clayed all of the painted surfaces, working from the top down, using Clearkote Quikshine as the lubricant and a waffle weave towel to dry the panels as I went. With the Elise being so low, this meant a lot of hard work on my knees – good job I’d taken an old rug along. After claying, I then applied Klasse All In One to all of the painted surfaces and the wheels using a microfibre pad – not so much in this case for the protective qualities, but more the deep chemical cleaning ability, as there were still some tar marks on some of the panels and a lot of stubbornly bonded brake dust on the wheels. Although the weather stayed good the temperature dropped considerably at this time, resulting in dew formation on the panels. Fortunately Klasse All In One likes to be applied using a damp pad, and the dew didn’t affect application at all.

Whilst I was cleaning the paint and wheels, Gareth took the vacuum cleaner to the interior. Later in the day I cleaned and waxed the sills and dressed some of the hard interior surfaces with Poorboy’s Natural Look Dressing. The rest of the interior is covered in Alcantara, and so only needs light brushing from time to time.

Next up, final step product of choice for a wet finish on silver cars – Optimum Car Wax. The pics were taken after just one coat (I usually like at least 3-4 coats), but the paint popped just the same. I then dressed the tyres with Poorboy’s Bold N Bright, and all trims with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

With the job done and the light fading, here’s a few final pics...

Old 19th July 2006, 08:29   #2
black_rat_uk
Established Member

Car(s): saxo 1.1 east coast dont laugh lol
black_rat_uk is on a distinguished road

a £30,000 car and it dont even have leccy windows lol

still wouldn;t say no to having one though lol
Old 19th July 2006, 10:07   #3
Subtle
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
Subtle has a spectacular aura aboutSubtle has a spectacular aura about

Saves on weight though mate without them

Car looks amazingly clean, top job!... Hope your mate appreciates the hard work that obviously went into it!

Loving that Civic and the Leon in the background too, whoevers they are
Subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 12:44   #4
RcH
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): RenaultSport 172 Cup
RcH is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh is that an ek9 in the backround? top job again mate looks very smart
RcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 16:58   #5
m20pub
Established Member

Car(s): saxo vts & berlingo van
m20pub has a spectacular aura aboutm20pub has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rat_uk
a £30,000 car and it dont even have leccy windows lol

still wouldn;t say no to having one though lol
took the words from my mouth lol
Old 20th July 2006, 17:04   #6
Clouds_mate
Saxperience Hardcore!

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!Clouds_mate is absolutely fabulous!

I need me some of that wet look wax thingy
Clouds_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 17:09   #7
Craig
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Seat LCR 225
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Craig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud ofCraig has much to be proud of

superb work matey, really loving the products gunna have to get some bought
Old 20th July 2006, 17:11   #8
ChrisJ
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo furio
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to beholdChrisJ is a splendid one to behold

Great job! Bet that was a c**t to polish because of the shapes of some of the body panels.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:32   #9
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

wow, i wish you lived a lot closer to me!! lol

the interiour of that baby is gorgeous!!!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 17:35   #10
Dan
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon FR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!

Very good matey, lovely and clean. How long do you spend on average cleaning a car?
Old 21st July 2006, 01:12   #11
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold

Anything from 4 hours to 20 hours so far... most major details involving paint correction take 8-10 hours. Plenty more threads coming soon showing recent work... :Y: