Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroėn: Citroėn Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 21st July 2006, 01:32   #1
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Polished Bliss vs Impreza P1 - 20 hours work!

When I booked this car in and the owner said he wanted the wettest look possible whilst still allowing the flake to pop in the sun, I knew I had an ideal opportunity to test out the new Blackfire range, and in particular the newly formulated Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection sealant. The following detail was one of the most challenging I’ve done to date, and I have to thank the owner for giving me the freedom to try out some new techniques, such as wetsanding! Well, it was either that or a trip to the bodyshop anyway (to fix a couple of very deep scratches), so the owner figured there was no harm in me trying first. When the car turned up it looked dull and jaded, and the paint felt like fine sandpaper. A quick burst of 3W Luxeon lighting revealed heavy swirling, plus some marring from previous polishing/claying attempts. I had originally planned on the job taking 12 hours, but in the end I put in 20 hours to get it the way I wanted it. Worth it though, as the final finish blew me away ”“ I’ve not come across another sealant that looks so wet, whilst still allowing the flake to pop so much in the sun. The glazing step also added significantly to the wetness to the finish, and added a richness to the paint that is often missing from sealant finishes. Here’s the process…

Wash

Whole car rinsed at moderate pressure using the Karcher
Alloys spot tested then treated with Meguiars Wheel Brightener cut 4:1, left 60 secs and rinsed with open ended hose
Whole car foamed with Poorboy’s Slick n Suds (4:1 mix in foam gun) and left to dwell for 5 mins
Whole car rinsed at moderate pressure using the Karcher
All trims and inside the arches treated with Meguiars Safe Degreaser cut 10:1
Whole car washed with Blackfire Gloss Shampoo using lambswool (bodywork) and microfibre (wheels and inside arches) mitts, and the two bucket method
Whole car rinsed with an open-ended hose
Whole car dried with waffle weave towels

Clay

Blackfire Clay (very aggressive ”“ no point wasting time, but it did inflict further marring)
Blackfire Clay Lubricant
Excess lubricant mopped up with waffle weave towels

Scratch Repair

Scratches cleaned out with P21S Total Auto Wash, rinsed and dried
Scratches filled with 3 thin coats of pigment, followed by 3 coats of lacquer
Once dry, new paint flattened with Meguiars Unigrit 3000, previously left to soak overnight in a bucket of suds
Affected panels then rewashed and rinsed and dried as per wash section above
Wetsanding haze then polished out with PC using Menzerna Power Gloss and 4”¯ Lake Country orange light cut pads

Polish

Whole car taped with 3434, then machine polished with PC, using Menzerna Intensive Polish and Lake Country orange light cut pads. The first go with the Intensive Polish removed some cobwebbing and heavy marring from the claying step, but hardly seemed to touch the deeper swirls and didn’t do much to numerous minor scratches. So much for the rumour that Subaru paint is soft! Two more goes with the Intensive Polish applying heavy pressure shifted 95 % of the defects in all panels, and of those that were left, most looked too severe (definite nail catchers) for full correction anyway, so I decided to leave them. I then followed up with Menzerna Final Polish II using Lake Country white polishing pads, as the finish left by the Intensive Polish was good but not perfect.

I also took time out to try polishing some panels by hand, as I’ve had a lot of enquiries lately asking if Intensive Polish can be used by hand. When I first tried it last year I noticed that the abrasives did not break down very well by hand, and I therefore wrote the site description recommending machine use only. However, now I’ve got more experience with it, I thought it wise to try again. Ten minutes of very hard work per panel using a Meguiars foam pad worked wonders ”“ about 90 % swirl removal! I could see the abrasives starting to break down after 8-9 minutes of work, so the definitive answer is it can be used successfully by hand, but it is extremely hard work. On softer paint I dare say it will give superb results if worked slightly longer, but on harder paint it will always leave some defects, although the overall finish can be dramatically improved, as the pictures below show. On this occasion I did the panels again by machine, as I wanted the best possible finish for the Blackfire products.

The final polishing step was the application of Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. This product has no cut, and is essentially a really rich, creamy glaze. I noticed a distinct wetting of the paint when it was applied using a Meguiars foam pad, and this helped to make the paint look much richer. All residues were buffed with Poorboy’s Super Thick n Plush towels.

Protect

All bodywork protected with Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, applied using foam pads and buffed using Poorboy's’ Mega Plush towels. I found it goes on and off much like Menzerna FMJ, and leaves an even slicker finish
All exterior trims treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant, applied using a microfibre pad and buffed after 5 mins with waffle weave towels
Exhaust tip polished with Autosol and protected with Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh, both applied using Poorboy’s Work Towels
Tyres dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel

And here’s the pics…

Tired, dull and jaded…

A couple of deep gouges (above) and a deep scratch (below)…

Swirl city…

During the wetsanding process (above) and after Power Gloss (below)…

The results of using Intensive Polish by hand ”“ before (above) and after (below)…

A couple of arty shots…

Old 21st July 2006, 01:32   #2
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold

Finished, just waiting for the sun to properly come out…

Deep scratch now filled and hard to spot (above), same story for the gouges (below)…

I love these wheels ”“ perfect on this car…

Finally, the sun comes out. Sunglasses on…

What I learnt during this detail ”“ (i) Subaru paint is harder than Seat and Skoda paint, and about the same as Audi paint in my experience (ii) filling and wetsanding is fairly straightforward, although getting the balance right between the amount of pigment and lacquer to add will take a lot more practice (iii) Power Gloss takes out 3000 grit haze no problem (iv) Intensive Polish is great to use by hand, as long as you work it long and hard (v) Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection is a bit special!

Old 21st July 2006, 01:44   #3
landy
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): cammed vtr
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
landy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud oflandy has much to be proud of

how much did it cost him
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 01:55   #4
barrettp
Super Moderator

Car(s): Focus
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!

Stunning work Rich.

Its looking very wet indeed!

btw welcome to the forum
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 09:27   #5
Chrisp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Megane Coupe/Convertible Diesel
Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!

WOW.... that looks a stunning job.... where abouts are you based and how much does it cost to get you to do something like that?

Chris
Old 21st July 2006, 09:34   #6
saunders
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Fiat Seicento, MK2 Furio 2000 X, Pug 206
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!

that looks wicked....but yea how much did it cost?
saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 10:52   #7
tgazvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Car(s): 250bhp zafira, corsa 1.2 and 172 cup
tgazvtr is on a distinguished road

amazing job mate the work is just outstanding.
Old 21st July 2006, 10:55   #8
Graemep
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): FN2 Civic Type-R
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!Graeme is absolutely fabulous!

wow how nice is that scooby

must say your work is spot on matey
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 10:58   #9
jclaydon
Established Member
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): zetec s
jclaydon is a jewel in the roughjclaydon is a jewel in the roughjclaydon is a jewel in the roughjclaydon is a jewel in the rough

Looks stunning mate, would be good to know a price as it looks super, 20 hours work (cant find a shocked smiley).
jclaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 11:00   #10
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore
East Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!

:shock:

Shocked smileys?

And I remember him saying that he charges 20£ an hour, and then traveling cost for jobs 100 miles+.
dannyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 13:12   #11
Dan
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon FR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!Dan is absolutely fabulous!

Awesome!!!!!
Old 21st July 2006, 20:33   #12
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Cheers folks, I was pleased with the finish on this one. I only charged 12 hours for this one, and I did it at my place - the other 8 hours were spent wetsanding, and as this was the first time I'd tried it I felt I shouldn't charge for it (nothing like practicing new techniques on a 30 grand car!). :
Old 21st July 2006, 20:44   #13
ets2k9
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon Cupra R
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
ets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant futureets2k9 has a brilliant future

P1's are around 16K onwards they were the fastest UK Impreza you could buy at one stage. Insurance compainies will rape your arse due to their exclusivity.

It has to have an engine rebuild at regular intervals so not really a daily drive.

I'm suprised the owner replaced the prodrive wheels although the new ones do look nice.

I'd so love one especially if someone was to clean it aswell as you have.

I just decided love that car so much I'm going to set it as my wallpaper!
ets2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 11:30   #14
luisax
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

luisax is just really niceluisax is just really niceluisax is just really niceluisax is just really nice

That's an amazing job, top work Rich!!
luisax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2006, 10:45   #15
al_VTR
East Anglia
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): (broken) mk1 Saxo VTR, MG ZS, BMW 3 Series
al_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to beholdal_VTR is a splendid one to behold

that is truly amazing, can't believe the difference between the before & after shots
al_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 07:54   #16
mark16v
Established Member

mark16v is a jewel in the roughmark16v is a jewel in the roughmark16v is a jewel in the roughmark16v is a jewel in the rough

Alot of hard work, car paintwork looks amazing in the last few pics.
mark16v is offline   Reply With Quote