Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Mobile Phones / Devices

Old 4th January 2012, 05:54   #1
Paulp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!
Default Best smartphone to get at the moment?

I'm due an upgrade, can basically upgrade my phone for free now. Was in the shop yesterday and the shelfs are full of these smart phones. Its been two years since i've been phone shopping, i didn't even know what to look for. I'm looking for suggestions based on what i'm after. I did go to the phoneshop to look at the new blackberry bold after seeing the advert, but the salesman told me its crap compared to iPhone/HTC.

Need something with Apps, I quite liked Alanapone's phone at the trackday as he had an App that he used to make a good video of his tracktime. It made a map of the circuit, recorded his laptimes, speed etc. That was cool as fuck.

Also need something that i can email with to keep intouch with work. Probably why i've liked the blackberry for the last 2 years.

Something that won't break when i drop it.. I've got a bad habit of spinning my mobile around in my hand when i'm bored, or thinking. As such i've dropped my poor old blackberry on a daily basis for the last two years, much respect to it, its still working fine.

I'm not too bothered about games and music.

Over last two years i've got to really like the keyboard on the blackberry, but it is something i could live without. So it would be a plus, but if it doesn't have one then not too bothered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 09:03   #2
Paulp
Super Moderator

Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Quote:
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Old 4th January 2012, 13:18   #3
dalecheesy
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Silver mk1 Saxo Vtr Vectra C derv
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to beholddalecheesy is a splendid one to behold

Samsung galaxy s2 seems to get favourable reviews but the iphone holds it's value stupidly well so it may be worth getting to recoup your money in the future. If you're clumsy like me a good case is a must for whichever smartphone you get as they won't stand up to being dropped on a daily basis
dalecheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dalecheesy For This Useful Post:
Old 4th January 2012, 15:52   #4
Paulp
Super Moderator

Definately need something that will stand up to getting dropped daily lol, maybe just a good case. I can't believe how well the blackberry bold has stood up, two years of being dropped daily, thats like atleast 730 times.

*toodles off to google "Samsung galaxy s2" *
Quote:
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Old 4th January 2012, 15:54   #5
ha_x3
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Pug 106 :)
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ha_x3 is on a distinguished road

My sister has one of the new blackberry's, it has the keyboard & touchscreen, not sure which model it is. but i can find out for you if you like??
ha_x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 15:57   #6
Piggie
Frequent Poster
North West Region Member

Car(s): 16v Pug Quicksilver
Piggie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_x3 View Post
My sister has one of the new blackberry's, it has the keyboard & touchscreen, not sure which model it is. but i can find out for you if you like??
Torch?

Really Paul there all similar.

Id have recommended some but its the fact you drop them on a daily basis that stopped me.

a £500 pound phone should never be dropped. It will die instantly lol
Old 4th January 2012, 16:05   #7
Paulp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_x3 View Post
Sounds like the new blackberry bold. Thats the one i went to look at the other day in the shop and the salesman advised me not to get it lol.

I saw the advert for it and it looked really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Torch?

Id have recommended some but its the fact you drop them on a daily basis that stopped me.

Lol mate, i know this but i can't help it.. Whenever i think about something i twizzle my phone in my hand.. Like finger and thumb then spin it 360. Its a terrrible habbit and i don't know why i do it, i've tried stopping myself for last year lol!

Another blackberry with decent apps would be ideal for me i think :\
Quote:
14 inches or so.
Quote:

Last edited by Paul; 4th January 2012 at 16:08.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:11   #8
Lionsden
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Had Saxo VTR Mk1 Now Mitsubishi Delica
Lionsden is on a distinguished road

I'd reccomend the Galaxy S2 with a "Case-mate tough case". I've dropped mine a good few times now and haven't had to claim on insurance yet, touch wood!!!

See my progress on my Mitsubishi Delica, Space Gear, Exceed 4x4 Overlander/Campervan
Lionsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 16:21   #9
Lionsden
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Had Saxo VTR Mk1 Now Mitsubishi Delica
Lionsden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Lol mate, i know this but i can't help it.. Whenever i think about something i twizzle my phone in my hand.. Like finger and thumb then spin it 360. Its a terrrible habbit and i don't know why i do it, i've tried stopping myself for last year lol!
Hmmm That's from Bar Flairing I recon!!!

I do exactly the same if I've got mine in hand, and always find myself doing this with anything I pick up that I can spin or flick in some way. I never used to do it until I started flairing. I've not dropped my current phone because of this but dropped my last one loads spinning it round or flipping it over in my hand just for the sake of it.

See my progress on my Mitsubishi Delica, Space Gear, Exceed 4x4 Overlander/Campervan
Lionsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 16:21   #10
Paulp
Super Moderator

Hahahha, i think you've hit the nail on the head with the flairing. That must be it. I've been getting a bit better lately

Just looking at that samsung s2 now, seems nearly perfect for me.

If it had a keyboard it pretty much would be perfect lol.
Quote:
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Old 4th January 2012, 16:23   #11
ha_x3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Torch?

Quote:
Sounds like the new blackberry bold. Thats the one i went to look at the other day in the shop and the salesman advised me not to get it lol.

I saw the advert for it and it looked really good.

Another blackberry with decent apps would be ideal for me i think :\
I dont have a clue, il find out.!! all i know is its really smart
Old 4th January 2012, 16:24   #12
joe333
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mint 106 rallye, Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
joe333 is on a distinguished road

New bb Bold

My new 106 rallye fast road/track Progress Thread!!

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=409293
joe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 16:26   #13
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

Tbf iPhone's aren't all that bad when dropped.

Mine's gone down the stairs before and hit the washing machine at the bottom with no bother.

Fallen onto solid floors etc still nothing.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 16:43   #14
JoshFurioBrookes
Frequent Poster
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Silver 6n2 Polo
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
JoshFurioBrookes is on a distinguished road

If you go for iPhone, check out the "Otterbox" cases. Got one on my 3GS and they are great value for money - example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OtterBox-Com...5695363&sr=8-6
Old 4th January 2012, 16:45   #15
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

I'd go to a 9900 happily still.

The ifail the apps are great, but the woeful battery life and really badly set up operating system make it so overhyped.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:46   #16
ha_x3
Frequent Poster

blackberry bold
Old 4th January 2012, 17:00   #17
squaddie
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 02 plate
squaddie is on a distinguished road

i upgraded from a iphone 3gs to a samsung galaxy note yesterday, lovin it already iphone holds you back too much
http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find
it also has gorilla glass which is basically indestructable
its android so free basically everything, unlike alot of other phones

Last edited by squaddie; 4th January 2012 at 17:06.
squaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 17:05   #18
Paulp
Super Moderator

The new Blackberry bold is what i went to upgrade my old blackberry bold to, until the sales guy advised me not to.

I may go back and hope for i dont get another anti-blackberry salesman? lol. Could tell he was an iPhone man, kept trying to tell me to buy an iPhone (never liked them really myself though).

I'll have a play with the new blackberry bold, see if i like it. If i dont then i'm going to go for the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Desire Z (just been looking at it, i like the way its an Android, so apps will be good, but its still got keyboard for all the emailing i do).

Anyone had/used a HTC Desire Z ? Any known problems?
Quote:
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Old 4th January 2012, 17:10   #19
vinnie_long
Regular Poster

Car(s): saxo furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
vinnie_long is on a distinguished road

if u want apps well iphone wins that hands down but the screen can smash so easly but u can get a case for like 40 quid what will withstand nearly anything
vinnie_long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 17:12   #20
ha_x3
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The new Blackberry bold is what i went to upgrade my old blackberry bold to, until the sales guy advised me not to.

I may go back and hope for i dont get another anti-blackberry salesman? lol. Could tell he was an iPhone man, kept trying to tell me to buy an iPhone (never liked them really myself though).

I'll have a play with the new blackberry bold, see if i like it. If i dont then i'm going to go for the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Desire Z (just been looking at it, i like the way its an Android, so apps will be good, but its still got keyboard for all the emailing i do).

Anyone had/used a HTC Desire Z ? Any known problems?
Tbh dont all android phones have common faults? same with anything i guess.. just gota take your chance