Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 19th July 2014, 18:24   #1
Adam32
L-plater

Adam32 is on a distinguished road
Default Temp, Rev and Fuel gauges not working?

I have just purchased a 2001 citroen saxo furio 1.4 for my girlfriend. I know nothing about these vehicles as I normally drive old Toyota 4x4 vehicles – so excuse me if I appear dumb!

The main problem is that all the gauges apart from the speedo don’t work. My main priority is to get the temperature gauge working as this is the most important. I have changed the thermostat and the temperature sensor (shown by an arrow in picture 1) but it still reads zero at all times. Following another forum post I read - I disconnected the battery for an hour or so and then reconnected, but this did not rectify the problem. I have read on the forum that there may be 2 temperature sensors and not sure where the second is? Is this the blue connector shown in with the arrow on picture 2? If so should I also replace this, or is there something else I could try before committing to more expense?

As for the fuel gauge, it reads empty at all times with the red light on. At first I thought this may be the fuel sender, however I really would like to examine all options before committing to the expense of buying another sender unit.

As for the rev counter the needle does not move at all.
It just seems strange that all these gauges don’t work (apart from speedo) so wonder if this is a computer problem? I know nothing about electrics so really don’t know where to start?

Adam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 18:28   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Those clocks don't look like they are from a Furio. pretty sure furio dials only read up to 120?

Anyways, as for your sensors, There is only one blue sensor on 3 plug models which runs the gauge and the light. The other one is for oil temp. but you have no oil temp gauge so no need to worry about that.

Not sure why the tacho wouldn't work.

Check the bottom right most fuse (in the fuse box behind the glove box) Sounds like a blown fuse to me.
Old 19th July 2014, 18:58   #3
Adam32
L-plater

Thanks for your reply. I replaced the bottom right fuse under the passenger glove box, however I still have the same problem.

Thats really strange about the clocks as I bought it from an old woman who had it from new and would not have modded it in any way.

As an experiment I ran the vehicle for a short period without any water in. The light then came on on the temperature gauge but the needle did not move at all. Does this rule out anything?
Old 19th July 2014, 23:36   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam32 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I replaced the bottom right fuse under the passenger glove box, however I still have the same problem.

Thats really strange about the clocks as I bought it from an old woman who had it from new and would not have modded it in any way.

As an experiment I ran the vehicle for a short period without any water in. The light then came on on the temperature gauge but the needle did not move at all. Does this rule out anything?
It's been a while since I looked at a furio

Did the fans kick in?

The light and gauge run separate circuits. As should the fuel gauge.

I still think this is a fuse problem. Take out the fuses one by one and examine them! replace only blown fuses.

The clocks run independent from the ECU. So they are all separate circuits. If the car has been unmodified, I see no reason as to why so much of the dash would be "dead". It's all LED lit too.
Old 20th July 2014, 10:11   #5
Adam32
L-plater

Yes the fan does kick in. I will check all the fuses one by one today and report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam32 For This Useful Post:
Old 20th July 2014, 19:53   #6
Adam32
L-plater

I have now checked all the fuses and all are ok, so really don't know where to go from here?
Old 20th July 2014, 21:02   #7
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

id try some different clocks, i know the mark 2 clocks on vtr went up to 140, so maybe furio ones did too?

the clocks all have there own little unit on the back from what i remember, maybe one of them is bust, or the connection on back of clocks has come loose
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 21:30   #8
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Outside chance of a loose connection at the rear of the clocks.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo67 For This Useful Post:
Old 20th July 2014, 23:31   #9
Adam32
L-plater

Ok I will check the connection at back of clocks then replace them and see what happens. Are you sure the clocks don’t go through a computer?
On a second more worrying note I have noticed that the car seems to be losing quite a lot of water from the reservoir, as after using the car it always seems empty. I have checked all the pipes and can’t see any leaks. Also there is no loss of power and no white smoke from the exhaust, so do you suppose the engine is cracked somewhere? This is about the worse thing that could happen, especially with the temperature gauge not working. Any ideas guys?
Old 21st July 2014, 13:07   #10
KierranD
L-plater

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Desire 1.1 5dr 2001
KierranD is on a distinguished road

I found on my saxo when I put different clocks in only the speedo would work and the others won't.. Try putting in original furio clocks. They look like the VTR ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KierranD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 16:00   #11
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KierranD View Post
I found on my saxo when I put different clocks in only the speedo would work and the others won't.. Try putting in original furio clocks. They look like the VTR ones
Well these are the ones I purchased:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-SA...E:L:OC:GB:3160

I hope they will be ok???
Old 21st July 2014, 17:35   #12
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Ok I will check the connection at back of clocks then replace them and see what happens. Are you sure the clocks don’t go through a computer?
On a second more worrying note I have noticed that the car seems to be losing quite a lot of water from the reservoir, as after using the car it always seems empty. I have checked all the pipes and can’t see any leaks. Also there is no loss of power and no white smoke from the exhaust, so do you suppose the engine is cracked somewhere? This is about the worse thing that could happen, especially with the temperature gauge not working. Any ideas guys?
Yeah those 120mph clocks are the ones.

As for the reservoir, what happens if you "over fill" it?

The level naturally sits low, you can't see it very well without a torch. If you top it up, when it expands due to pressure and such it spills out.

Check the cap is tight as well, if you don't tighten it enough the steam escaping drops the level.
Old 27th July 2014, 21:24   #13
Adam32
L-plater

I have now replaced the clocks with the 120mph clocks and have had some success in that the fuel gauge and rev counter now work. Despite this, the temperature gauge still does not work as it should, although it seems to be doing something – unlike before: (see pictures at bottom of post)

Picture 1 shows the temperature gauge with no key in the ignition. Note that the needle is in the white space at the bottom of the gauge

Picture 2 shows the temperature gauge with the key turned in the ignition, BUT THE ENGINE IS NOT ON. Note that the needle is approximately a quarter of the way up the scale even though the engine is not on.

Picture 3 shows what happens when the engine has been run for about 3 minutes. The needle drops to the bottom of the gauge but not in the white like in the first picture. Even if I turn the engine off, but keep the key in the ignition with the electrics on the needle still stays at the bottom until the engine has cooled down. Once the engine is off and it has cooled down, the needle will then go back to the quarter position.

Any ideas what is going on? As you know I have replaced the temperature sensor and thermostat. Really don’t know where to go from here?

Old 27th July 2014, 21:43   #14
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
Yeah those 120mph clocks are the ones.

As for the reservoir, what happens if you "over fill" it?

The level naturally sits low, you can't see it very well without a torch. If you top it up, when it expands due to pressure and such it spills out.

Check the cap is tight as well, if you don't tighten it enough the steam escaping drops the level.
Also the cap can fail as well through wear and tear.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 12:04   #15
Adam32
L-plater

I have solved the water problem as I think it was the cap.

anyone have any ideas on my post yesterday (post 13) regarding the temperature gauge?

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=13

Thanks
Adam
Old 12th June 2015, 23:26   #16
Morales3

Morales3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have solved the water problem as I think it was the cap.

anyone have any ideas on my post yesterday (post 13) regarding the temperature gauge?

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=13

Thanks
Adam
Hi Adam,

I've got the exact same problem in my saxo 1.1 2001. Temperature gauge does the same You have described.
Any chance You could help?

Sorry for my English, it's not my main language

Regards from Portugal
Morales3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 08:14   #17
Adam32
L-plater

I never manged to sort it. It is not an easy feeling going around with the gauge not working. So if anyone can shed anymore light I would be very grateful.

Let me know if you have any success.