Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 31st August 2016, 11:57   #1
CbVtR
Regular Poster
Central Counties Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR / Saxo VTS turbo
CbVtR is on a distinguished road
Default Larger rear speakers in stock door card guide

Hi people

I had some old Alpine type R speakers floating around not being used so I though I would have a go at trying to fabricate something to use them without cutting holes and butchering the rear door card.

This is just a quick how to on how I have done it and I'm sure there's a million and one other ways to do this, but I've just used what I have laying around in my workshop to get them to fit,, so here goes...

I won't talk about how to remove rear door cards and this has been discussed numerous times on here and is also in the ICE sticky section, so after taking the poor excuse of a standard rear speaker out you will be left with this,
I pulled the black speaker fabric mesh off so it would allow clearance for my new speakers.

I cut two pieces of sheet metal out and drilled some holes to allow me to screw them into the door card using the original screws and then used the speaker to mark out holes to secure the speaker to the metal

Then by using a long M6 bolt and 6-7 washer this allowed the clearance to allow the speaker to work properly.

After its all bolted up with nyloc nuts to stop the vibration from the speaker undoing the nuts, you are left with something that looks like this..

I also added an extra long M6 bolt to give it the whole thing some extra support and hold the weight, as going over bumps and vibration will eventually break the plastic which the "metal brackets" are screwed to.

And after a small trim up you are left with something like this..

These fit in the car depth wise,, just, be sure that you're speakers will fit once the door card is popped back into position.

Feel free to add anything I've missed or post any questions.

Cheers.
CbVtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 18:37   #2
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

looks good, does that 3rd bolt make noise though as its not attached to anything on the other end? I would have maybe tried a blob of tigerseal on the end of it or something to stick it in place
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 19:12   #3
CbVtR
Regular Poster

Good shout about the tigerseal, i didn't think of that, I can't hear any noise or rattling from the back, but to be fair I had to bend the 3rd bolt out to allow me to put the nut on the bottom, so it's under a fair bit of preload already 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4th September 2016, 22:07   #4
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

I must be being a bit thick here, but what exactly is that 3rd bolt doing? It's not attaching the speaker to anything?
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 09:06   #5
CbVtR
Regular Poster

Basically when the door card was in the vertical position like it is install in the car, the speaker was sagging down due to the weight of it, so this bolt rests against the door card and holds the weight, otherwise over a period of time the plastic it's screw into would just snap and you would end up with the speaker floating around inside the door card somewhere lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk