Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 1st January 2009, 22:59   #1
EwynSaxo
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Furio R.I.P, onyx Gti, astra turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
EwynSaxo is on a distinguished road
Default JL audio

anyone ever had two 12" JL audio subs in a sax
a friend of mine has then in his corsa and it sounds amazing
i wanna know if anyone would recommend them for a saxo
before a splash out on them
EwynSaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 23:04   #2
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

depends on lots of things

personally i think theyre great but id rather spend my money on something else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 23:04   #3
EwynSaxo
Established Member

what would you recommend ?
Old 1st January 2009, 23:05   #4
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Merc E320 sport estate (the kids made me do it)
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
reevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to behold

what ones are you talking about?
Old 1st January 2009, 23:06   #5
EwynSaxo
Established Member

im sure what ones he's got
i shall browse the net now to see
if i can pick them out by a photo
Old 1st January 2009, 23:07   #6
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwynSaxo View Post
what would you recommend ?
again depends on lots of things..

mainly: your budget for an audio set up?

also, what do you allready have? if you do not have good comps and a good amp for them id advise that you sort that out first.. again, that is dependant on your budget
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 1st January 2009, 23:08   #7
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Merc E320 sport estate (the kids made me do it)
reevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to behold

a mate of mine has a single 12 in the back of his bmw estate in a custom box and it sounds great.
Old 1st January 2009, 23:12   #8
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well i was given 6x9;s and 5inch speakers with a 650 amp for xmas
im awaiting a new HU before i can wire up since
mine doesnt have preouts what kind of HU hasnt any preouts
just wiring the speaking to the amp
and i have around £300 to £350 for a sub and i'll save some more for an amp
Old 1st January 2009, 23:40   #9
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well i was given 6x9;s and 5inch speakers with a 650 amp for xmas
im awaiting a new HU before i can wire up since
mine doesnt have preouts what kind of HU hasnt any preouts
just wiring the speaking to the amp
and i have around £300 to £350 for a sub and i'll save some more for an amp
id sell the 6x9s mate.. theyll only bring you down..

cant comment on the speakers on amp as weo know nothing about them?

if your going to spend £300 on a sub, youll need to spend around £200 minimum on an amp.. imo this is all irrelivant if the front set up isnt equal to the rear

components and amp for them is the primary concern in any set up, not until that is perfect would i begin looking for a sub

what speakers are they up front? and what amp?
Quote:
Old 1st January 2009, 23:58   #10
EwynSaxo
Established Member

Vibe
space 5's
and 6x9;s
with a blackbox stereo amp
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:09   #11
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Vibe
space 5's
and 6x9;s
with a blackbox stereo amp
no offence but if i was going to put a half decent JL set up in my car the last thing id want is vibe equiptment in there ruining the sound quality
Quote:
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:14   #12
EwynSaxo
Established Member

i like the sound vibe offer on speakers
just not too sure on their subs
so im just trying to sort out a tidy set up
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:56   #13
VTR-Chris-VTR
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Saxo VTS
VTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to behold

Ive got a JL Audio set up, cant complain, sounds great, though my sub is sort of blown but still works ok

JL Audio 12W3v2 dual 2ohm voice coil sub
&
Jl Audio Class D Monoblock 500/1 amp

Heres mine:

Last edited by VTR-Chris-VTR; 2nd January 2009 at 00:59.
VTR-Chris-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:51   #14
EwynSaxo
Established Member

all i want is JL Audio subs
cause they look amazing and sound better
i want a double tho
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:29   #15
quik_silver_0707
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr 1.6i
quik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
no offence but if i was going to put a half decent JL set up in my car the last thing id want is vibe equiptment in there ruining the sound quality
Totally agree
quik_silver_0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:36   #16
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
all i want is JL Audio subs
cause they look amazing and sound better
i want a double tho
allthough they are a good sub, you only think theyre "amazing" because you havnt heard much else in the same range..

just because you can bang a couple of subs in a car doesnt mean it will sound good

for one, you allready have a vibe set up, up front - in all honesty this will bring down the SQ within your car and make it pointless having a good set up in the rear

secondly, audio is about sound, not looks eg:- "my xplod subs look sick y0" yeah but do they sound it?

thirdly, allthough you cant quote me on this (as its depeding on a LOT of things) id assume to build a good box for a set of JL audio subs your boot will NOT be big enough (and dont reply "but halfrauds have a double prefab box") you need a custom built box

fourthly, have you considerd what amp youd run the subs with? what wiring your going to use? how your going to soundproof it all? there are many things to take into consideration

this IS NOT a rant at you, just to the general majority of people who assume whacking a few subs and a few speakers in a car will give them a good set up.. its utter BS in all honesty
Quote:
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:40   #17
VTR-Chris-VTR
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Saxo VTS
VTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
allthough they are a good sub, you only think theyre "amazing" because you havnt heard much else in the same range..

just because you can bang a couple of subs in a car doesnt mean it will sound good

for one, you allready have a vibe set up, up front - in all honesty this will bring down the SQ within your car and make it pointless having a good set up in the rear

secondly, audio is about sound, not looks eg:- "my xplod subs look sick y0" yeah but do they sound it?

thirdly, allthough you cant quote me on this (as its depeding on a LOT of things) id assume to build a good box for a set of JL audio subs your boot will NOT be big enough (and dont reply "but halfrauds have a double prefab box") you need a custom built box

fourthly, have you considerd what amp youd run the subs with? what wiring your going to use? how your going to soundproof it all? there are many things to take into consideration

this IS NOT a rant at you, just to the general majority of people who assume whacking a few subs and a few speakers in a car will give them a good set up.. its utter BS in all honesty
I adgree, ive heard my sub in a seat ibiza, altho he had 2 of my subs, but he has a proper front end set up aswell, focal comps and i admit his sounds 10x better then mine

I guess like you said my box aint good enough for the sub to give its all.

i wanna no is a ported box better then a sealed? i found with a sealed it seems to hit the lower notes better?
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:43   #18
quik_silver_0707
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr 1.6i
quik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Got to agree again with this guy. This is the sub amp im getting for the boot: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/gene...le-p-6281.html
Also these are the components in the front and also rear of my car: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JL-Audio-VR600...3A1|240%3A1318
With this HU: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...6r-p-6670.html

Front needs sorting out before you hear the full advantage of a JL sub
quik_silver_0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:48   #19
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR-Chris-VTR View Post

i wanna no is a ported box better then a sealed? i found with a sealed it seems to hit the lower notes better?
it depends a lot of things

1: ported boxes can hit lower than a sealed. but it depends to what frequency the ported box is tuned to. a sealed box plays all frequencys well, where as ported peaks at what ever you tune it to.

2. different subs work better in different boxes. some work better in a sealed box, some in a ported.

3. box dimensions are the key factor in all of this, the cubic feet (measurment) of the box is vital in acheiving the perfect sound for that particular sub. this is calculated using various formulae (most of which i dont understand so cant tell you any more about)

4. ported boxes are said to be more "boomy" and "play louder" whereas sealed are said to be a "tighter sound" and more "sound quality". allthough a well made ported box will produce more SQ that a badly made sealed box.

those are the two main types of box, but there are a few other more complicated designs

theres a random assortment of box facts for you, as i said, im not huge on the knowledge of box making, coonper or csvtr are the ones to talk about it

alternatively sign up on www.talkaudio.co.uk for the ultimate in car audio forums

hope that helps a little lol
Quote:
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:53   #20
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik_silver_0707 View Post
Got to agree again with this guy. This is the sub amp im getting for the boot: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/gene...le-p-6281.html
Also these are the components in the front and also rear of my car: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JL-Audio-VR600...3A1|240%3A1318
With this HU: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...6r-p-6670.html

Front needs sorting out before you hear the full advantage of a JL sub
amp looks good, 550wrms @ 2ohms.. what sub are you planning to run off it?

didnt look at the comps as pc is being gay, but they should sound nice being JL and all that..

and headunits are again an often overlooked peice of eqiptment, alpine clarion and pioneer are the top 3 brands, but more expensive models tend to not only give more extras, but produce higher SQ

allthough i wouldnt advise any form of rear speakers.. the age old reply to this is "i want my passengers to hear my music" well if you set it all up correctly, an amped set of comps up front will completely fill the car with sound

im currently running a set of pioneer coaxials at the cost of £18 up front with nothing in the rear. theyre running 19wrms and fill the car with sound (im saving the good speakers for the new car in a months time ) lol

what amp are you powering the comps with mate?
Quote: