Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 3rd January 2009, 18:02   #21
3cott
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Black mk2 vts
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice3cott is just really nice

lisen to ash's he knows what he on about
3cott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:09   #22
VTR-Chris-VTR
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Saxo VTS
VTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to beholdVTR-Chris-VTR is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
it depends a lot of things

1: ported boxes can hit lower than a sealed. but it depends to what frequency the ported box is tuned to. a sealed box plays all frequencys well, where as ported peaks at what ever you tune it to.

2. different subs work better in different boxes. some work better in a sealed box, some in a ported.

3. box dimensions are the key factor in all of this, the cubic feet (measurment) of the box is vital in acheiving the perfect sound for that particular sub. this is calculated using various formulae (most of which i dont understand so cant tell you any more about)

4. ported boxes are said to be more "boomy" and "play louder" whereas sealed are said to be a "tighter sound" and more "sound quality". allthough a well made ported box will produce more SQ that a badly made sealed box.

those are the two main types of box, but there are a few other more complicated designs

theres a random assortment of box facts for you, as i said, im not huge on the knowledge of box making, coonper or csvtr are the ones to talk about it

alternatively sign up on www.talkaudio.co.uk for the ultimate in car audio forums

hope that helps a little lol
Yeh i have no idea about it either, i tried undoin the termial but to make a port but it sounded horrible and all out of tune, but like you said it all depends on the right size box

But my amp have good seting on there, center freq the lot, i tuned it now so it sounds good at high volume, lower volume it sounds like there aint a sub playing, but i hate it when people have there subs really pumping out on like volume 10 lol. sounds dreadful at high volume then i.e like my mates kenwood tornado sub (my old skool sub i had when i first past my test over 2 yrs ago)

But is my sub and amp a good set up? i only paid £240 for them both

Last edited by VTR-Chris-VTR; 3rd January 2009 at 18:13.
VTR-Chris-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:21   #23
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR-Chris-VTR View Post
Yeh i have no idea about it either, i tried undoin the termial but to make a port but it sounded horrible and all out of tune, but like you said it all depends on the right size box

But my amp have good seting on there, center freq the lot, i tuned it now so it sounds good at high volume, lower volume it sounds like there aint a sub playing, but i hate it when people have there subs really pumping out on like volume 10 lol. sounds dreadful at high volume then i.e like my mates kenwood tornado sub (my old skool sub i had when i first past my test over 2 yrs ago)

But is my sub and amp a good set up? i only paid £240 for them both
cant tell you as i know no figures about the sub and amp lol

and epic fail at undoing terminal to create a port! HA

a ported box and a sealed box would be COMPLETELY different in size.. and you cant just put a port where you want. gotta put it in the perfect postition, the port tube has to be a certain diamiter and a certain length (the port tube length and diamiter is what creates a "tuned" box")
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:08   #24
quik_silver_0707
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr 1.6i
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
quik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the roughquik_silver_0707 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
amp looks good, 550wrms @ 2ohms.. what sub are you planning to run off it?

didnt look at the comps as pc is being gay, but they should sound nice being JL and all that..

and headunits are again an often overlooked peice of eqiptment, alpine clarion and pioneer are the top 3 brands, but more expensive models tend to not only give more extras, but produce higher SQ

allthough i wouldnt advise any form of rear speakers.. the age old reply to this is "i want my passengers to hear my music" well if you set it all up correctly, an amped set of comps up front will completely fill the car with sound

im currently running a set of pioneer coaxials at the cost of £18 up front with nothing in the rear. theyre running 19wrms and fill the car with sound (im saving the good speakers for the new car in a months time ) lol

what amp are you powering the comps with mate?
Sorry i worded it wrong, i currently only have front comps but plan to get the same JL's in the rear. So at the moment im running the front of my headunit. When i get rears ill look for a 4 channel amp, probably genesis again. As for subs i still havnt decided as it all involves quite abit of money this set up im having. Also i havnt actually got that HU yet but im looking to order it soon. I do agree with you though about the rears but i just want them there if that makes sense to you. Forgot to say im getting a power cap in the boot
quik_silver_0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 09:00   #25
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik_silver_0707 View Post
Sorry i worded it wrong, i currently only have front comps but plan to get the same JL's in the rear. So at the moment im running the front of my headunit. When i get rears ill look for a 4 channel amp, probably genesis again. As for subs i still havnt decided as it all involves quite abit of money this set up im having. Also i havnt actually got that HU yet but im looking to order it soon. I do agree with you though about the rears but i just want them there if that makes sense to you. Forgot to say im getting a power cap in the boot
you do realise both rear speakers and a power cap do absolutly nothing for your system? lol

if you set the rears up well enough to make them not as loud as the fronts, they would be ok. thus not ruining your sound staging. however that then deems them pointless due to the fact you cant hear them, which then takes you back to square 1, and the question: is it worth having rear speakers? answer - nope

fair enough, imo its better to build up a good system over time rather than just bang one in the car (im currently doing the same thing, but may put it on hold as i want to make the next car into a track project. hmm) lol
Quote:
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Old 4th January 2009, 21:05   #26
EwynSaxo
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Furio R.I.P, onyx Gti, astra turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
EwynSaxo is on a distinguished road

yeah ok you made a good point about it
i had the vide speakers has a present for xmas so i dun care if people think they are rubbish
when something free its all good
as for a box my mate has a double ported box in his corsa b which has 2 jl's and it keeps the sound in the car amazing
as i have no interest in other people listening to what im listening so im pretty happy
with the way he has it
and you talked about having a good box set up i've been thinking about
taking my back seats out
so when i got a bit more cash i could get a awesome box then really
my cousin is a carpenter so designing a box
i'll leave to the experts
EwynSaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 21:11   #27
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwynSaxo View Post
yeah ok you made a good point about it
i had the vide speakers has a present for xmas so i dun care if people think they are rubbish
when something free its all good
as for a box my mate has a double ported box in his corsa b which has 2 jl's and it keeps the sound in the car amazing
as i have no interest in other people listening to what im listening so im pretty happy
with the way he has it
and you talked about having a good box set up i've been thinking about
taking my back seats out
so when i got a bit more cash i could get a awesome box then really
my cousin is a carpenter so designing a box
i'll leave to the experts
go on www.talkaudio.co.uk mate when youve decided what sub / subs your getting, post on the forum and one of the box engineers will design you a box, you can then give the details / dimensions to your cuz and get a box made

if you got the same subs as your mate.. and then got a custom built box reccomnded in size by the guys off TA i gaurentee yours will sound a million times better. both in volume and SQ

thats obv providing you get the right power and the right set up

imo id still get new front speakers.. unless your going to pump serious power into the front speakers.. (amp giving 150wrms or more) then id go for something else.. when coonper had the vibe 6x9s as a joke he was powering them with over 600wrms and they didnt blow, which is amazing considering thats 6x their rms rating! so they can take a beating. they just have no SQ what so ever
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 21:18   #28
EwynSaxo
Established Member

aii all my mate got for treble in tha corsa is infinity 6x9 and then stardard front speaker and that works well
but i am considering comps
just i dun fancy fitting them myself
Old 4th January 2009, 21:25   #29
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
aii all my mate got for treble in tha corsa is infinity 6x9 and then stardard front speaker and that works well
but i am considering comps
just i dun fancy fitting them myself
6x9s are for the gays of the world and with standard speakers.. and you think it sounds good? hmm either your deaf or you havnt actually heard a good set up in your life lol

and infinity? please inform me when they begin to make a worthwhile product lol..

in a small car all you want is a sub in the boot and GOOD amp and comps up front.. the front end is where the set up matters most.

6x9s only ruin your system.. any noob can bang a sub in a car with standard speakers and thinks it works well.. with a point in the right direction your set up will destroy your mates
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 21:29   #30
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well what treble do you think i should get
so i can work out how much im going to have 2 spend so
i have a amazing sounding car
Old 4th January 2009, 21:34   #31
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well what treble do you think i should get
so i can work out how much im going to have 2 spend so
i have a amazing sounding car
first and most important question... whats your budget?

to acheive a good set up youll need:

good comps,
good amp for comps
subwoofer
amp for sub
wirng kit
sound proofing
box for sub (custom built)
headunit

obviously not all has to be bought at once as it will cost a fair bit (depending on how much you want to spend) im still building up my new set up.. ive got boxes full of amps, subs, speakers wires etc etc etc lying around in my bedroom, need one more amp, more deadeing and a box for my sub and my set ups complete
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 21:35   #32
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well if you give me a range around how much i would be paying
i im sure i could save and save and save till
finally i got the money
Old 4th January 2009, 21:49   #33
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well if you give me a range around how much i would be paying
i im sure i could save and save and save till
finally i got the money
from around £400 - £500 (or less if you find some bargains like i have )

to around £10,000

how long is a peice of string...

depends how much your willing to spend.. a good wiring kit + sound proofing kit will come to around £150 (or just over)

a good box for sub will cost arond £60 (unless your cousin makes it for a cheaper cost)

the rest is dependant on how much your willing to spend..
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 21:58   #34
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well the box will more or less be free all i will be paying for is the fabric on the outside
what would you say about buying second hand amps?
Old 4th January 2009, 22:01   #35
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well the box will more or less be free all i will be paying for is the fabric on the outside
what would you say about buying second hand amps?
you can get some bargains on ebay mate.. obv if you find the right amp at the right price and all looks well it could be worth it

ive bought my soundstream T410 subwoofer on ebay secondhand, paid £80 for it, you cant get them in england and retail at $400 in the USA

looks like your sorted then for the box, guessing your cousin can get hold of the materials etc, all you have to do is find dimensions when youve bought the sub
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 22:13   #36
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well lets just say my cousin doesnt mind pinching a bit wood
for a good cause aha
his garden decking is made from completely . . . . . . . free wood aha
nah
any spare materials from the contracts he does he keeps, his garage is full of sub boxes waiting to happen aha
Old 4th January 2009, 22:15   #37
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well lets just say my cousin doesnt mind pinching a bit wood
for a good cause aha
his garden decking is made from completely . . . . . . . free wood aha
nah
any spare materials from the contracts he does he keeps, his garage is full of sub boxes waiting to happen aha
lol fair enough i could do with a sub box *hint*

haha
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 22:23   #38
EwynSaxo
Established Member

well im going down to see him next week
if its possible to deliver something that big im sure he'd do it
Old 4th January 2009, 22:26   #39
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
well im going down to see him next week
if its possible to deliver something that big im sure he'd do it
lol was joking mate.. cheers for the offer though

ill be building from scratch soon. ideally id want a bandpass box, but thats a bit complicated

got the dimensions for my sub in a ported box for the best SQ, plan to do with with a layer of 18mm thick wood. then a layer of sound proofing on the outside, then another layer of 18mm wood over that.. absolutely zero flex in the wood
Quote:
Old 4th January 2009, 22:31   #40
EwynSaxo
Established Member

ahh fair play sounds complicated to me
i was never any good with making things myself aha
i'd prefer to get some else do it
that way if they mess it up