Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 29th December 2018, 11:22   #1
jayweb12

jayweb12 is on a distinguished road
Default *Help Front wheel play

So i've just purchased an X reg Saxo VTR, it has a couple of minors on the last MOT, so I'm wanting to get them all done ready for the next MOT test!

One of the minors was the O/S front wheel bearing!

So yesterday I went ahead and changed the bearing, it all went back together seemingly fine!

But after finishing I noticed theirs allot of play in the wheel (slight wobble when holding it with your hands), all bolts are tight, the play isn't coming from the strut, I stripped it down (didn't take the bearing back out) and put it back together and it still has the same amount of play!

It was all pressed in with a bearing press and everything seems to be sitting correctly!

Have read up about the two different drive shafts which could cause play, but by the looks of it the drive shaft hasn't been changed anytime soon!

Can anyone think of what it could be ?

Thanks
jayweb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 18:22   #2
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

You need to establish where the play is coming from. Are you holding the wheel in the 3 and 9 o'clock position (horizontally) or the 12 and 6 position (vertically). Horizontal play (other than wheel bearing play) is usually a track rod end. Vertical play is usually the bottom ball joint.

One way to rule out it still being play in the wheel bearing, is to have someone press the brake pedal firmly while you are making the play happen. If it goes away with the brakes applied, it's wheel bearing.

I usually dig my finger into the rubber boot of either the bottom ball joint or the track rod end, whilst having someone make the play happen, basically so that your fingertip is pressing hard against the pin through the rubber boot, if there is movement of the pin due to play you should be able to detect it.

Driveshaft wear shouldn't cause any play at the wheel, though it can cause rotational 'slack'.

Are you certain that you have torqued the hub nut up fully?
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:10   #3
jayweb12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturbo View Post
You need to establish where the play is coming from. Are you holding the wheel in the 3 and 9 o'clock position (horizontally) or the 12 and 6 position (vertically). Horizontal play (other than wheel bearing play) is usually a track rod end. Vertical play is usually the bottom ball joint.

One way to rule out it still being play in the wheel bearing, is to have someone press the brake pedal firmly while you are making the play happen. If it goes away with the brakes applied, it's wheel bearing.

I usually dig my finger into the rubber boot of either the bottom ball joint or the track rod end, whilst having someone make the play happen, basically so that your fingertip is pressing hard against the pin through the rubber boot, if there is movement of the pin due to play you should be able to detect it.

Driveshaft wear shouldn't cause any play at the wheel, though it can cause rotational 'slack'.

Are you certain that you have torqued the hub nut up fully?

Thank you for your reply,
The play is in all directions when holding the wheel,
the brakes callipers are currently off, I'll try that at the weekend!

I had a look at the old bearing today, and noticed these stuck to it.... they look like washers/shims, doesn't really look like part of the bearing, have I missed these out ?
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:11   #4
jayweb12

Old 3rd January 2019, 19:12   #5
jayweb12

Old 3rd January 2019, 23:06   #6
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

no photos....
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 19:38   #7
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

I don't need to see any pictures to tell you that there are no washers or anything that go on.

The bearing goes in on its own into the strut, then there's a securing circlip.

One the driveshaft nut is torqued, it squeezes the centre part of the bearing. so there would be NO play.

Just because the shaft looks old doesn't mean it's the correct one, if it's been horsed up with an impact gun its maybe been squeezing the bearing just enough.

There are 2 sizes of bearing. 35mm inner diameter and 37mm inner diameter

35mm inner diameter bearings take the NON tapered driveshaft type. (1999 and before)

37mm inner diameter bearings take the TAPER style later shaft. (1999 onwards)

So look at whatever bearing you have bought, and buy a shaft to match.

Notice the different styles of hub nut as well.