Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 29th January 2011, 23:56   #1
davejuk

Car(s): Lexus IS200
davejuk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1998 (S Reg) Saxo - Water/temp light and heating not working

Hi

The heating in my girlfriend's 1998 (S Reg) Saxo has recently stopped working and the water/temp light comes on after a few miles. It might turn off for a bit but it is on most of the time. The water needed to topping up but it wasn't dry.

We obviously need to get it to a garage but it would be nice to go in there with some idea of what's wrong with it.

Sniffing around online points to the head gasket?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
davejuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 14:44   #2
JonCarter
Frequent Poster
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 01' Ph1 VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
JonCarter is on a distinguished road

Seriously looks like headgasket, is there any gunk on the expansion bottle top or oil filler? is the oil like a mayo colour??
JonCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 15:00   #3
davejuk

Yes! Creamy yellow deposit in the oil filler cap.

I take back what I said about the water being dry - we went and had a look, noticed it was dry and topped it up. Then read your post and went out to take pictures (below) and it was dry after just a few minutes without even driving it. No obvious leak on the road beyond a few drips that escaped when we were topping it up.

Old 30th January 2011, 15:07   #4
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

wolf_gsxr is on a distinguished road

looks like headgasket mate. if you quite handy with stuff it isnt such a big job to do..
wolf_gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 22:49   #5
davejuk

Thanks for your input guys.

I'd rather not spend a couple of hours fiddling about in the freezing cold doing something I'm not sure about when in all likeliness I'll screw it up and need to get it towed anyway!

I'll see if it can limp a couple of miles to the garage. I guess she's looking at something around the £400 mark?
Old 30th January 2011, 22:52   #6
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

head gasket replacement inc new timing belt and head skim 325 pounds inc parts and labour,but a bit of a trek from Bristol lol
Old 1st February 2011, 16:57   #7
davejuk

Garage confirmed it's the head gasket and wants £450-£500, or more if the cylinders knackered.

mandyslover70a: I'll have to politely decline your offer but I found another garage that will do it for £300 with timing belt, oil change, etc.

The cars only worth around £500 in good condition but unless she spends upwards of £2,000 she's going to get another pos that needs a similar amount spending on it.