Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 3rd December 2010, 14:07   #21
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Thats what rev limiters are for. Sod backing off
Yeah ya dont go out on track to do a sunday drive!

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:54   #22
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
Thanks for that Kev, i have watched bedford and it does seem like its a bit heavy on top end.....
So i think i will try brands hatch first and like you say does take it easy. I am thinking about doing a lotus elise track day experience thing like just to get tog rips with it a little bit!
Jason
I would go for maximum seat time in your own car so you understand it better. An elise is a totally different beast. If you go to brands I dont mind coming along as a passenger to help advise. My experience is more in Kart racing but the techniques for braking and turning, apexes and the like are basically the same.
The longer you spend behind the wheel of the saxo the more dialled in to its intrinsic handling traits you will be.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:09   #23
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
I would go for maximum seat time in your own car so you understand it better. An elise is a totally different beast. If you go to brands I dont mind coming along as a passenger to help advise. My experience is more in Kart racing but the techniques for braking and turning, apexes and the like are basically the same.
The longer you spend behind the wheel of the saxo the more dialled in to its intrinsic handling traits you will be.
Lines are different in karting thought arent they?

I went on an experience day thing and drove a scooby with an instructor, he said straight away that he could tell i have done a lot of karting before because of the lines i was trying to take, was quite interesting actually and i gained ALOT of pace listening to him

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:12   #24
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Karting is a different story with lines mainly due to the grip. Going off the perfect line you can find much more time if you find that grip than what you will if you go off the line in a car. Mainly due to weight transfer. A car won't like going off line and will struggle to get back on the line for the next few corners. Karts can zip off line and back on with ease
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:39   #25
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Basic Lines,techniques and principles is pretty much the same when racing round a circuit. Karts dont like going off line either, certainly not the ones we race. your usual hire karts are timid in comparison. The ability to recover if you do wander off line is generally down to mass though the traction of slicks helps (unless you are racing in the wet / cold). A car simply cannot react like a kart with direction change but thats not a problem. If you cannot get your car under control and on the correct line for the next corner you probably need to stop and have a think what you are doing. You might not be carrying the optimum speed but thats not really a problem as you can build back up into your rhythm.
I've done plenty of trackdays with FWD cars and understand the differences in how the vehicles handle. I'm not going to teach someone Karting techniques when they simply do not apply. At the same time you have to be aware of the differences between racing and trackdays. You do not need to be fast on a trackday so you should not be putting the pressure of starting out going hell for leather. You end up crashing at the first corner and looking a prat. To be honest you can talk for hours about driving techniques. You want to instil enough so the driver can have fun safely.

Kev
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:46   #26
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

i used to drive minimax. So fairly brisk. just got silly expensive so had to give up. You will find people taking bizzare lines when karting trying to chase the time. it's amazing, you approach a half throttle mid apex, then back to full on the exit. The guy in front of you may go wide and be able to blat it through the corner. In most cars this would unbalance the car when trying to get back on the racing line for the next corner.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:24   #27
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

You may compromise the speed in one to get a better line on another so I understand what you mean but corners should never be looked at individually but as part of a sequence of turns so you would look to never unbalance the car dramatically. Theres often a few ways to take a corner when racing to gain advantage, but a trackday is single file round the corners so more often an optimum line is there. This will vary slightly from car to car, but its down to the driver at the time to learn to understand the feedback he or she is getting and act accordingly to find the grip and traction. At least we dont have to fight to gain 1/10th of a second on a trackday
Old 19th January 2011, 02:50   #28
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Do what i did...go to the ring LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KF6w1EU33k

Not bad for a first go aye?
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote