Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 7th May 2013, 13:52   #21
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

mot repairs will also be a NO with bonding -so bonding a plate instead of welding as in the picture would not be allowed
all you would be bonding too would be the rust layer and how can the tester be sure you cleaned everything to high degree ,which it would have to be + killed the rust before you bond the plate on + still it would need some mechanical fixing to stop "peel "
bonding is for cosmetic only not load bearing members
Old 7th May 2013, 14:06   #22
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
mot repairs will also be a NO with bonding -so bonding a plate instead of welding as in the picture would not be allowed
all you would be bonding too would be the rust layer and how can the tester be sure you cleaned everything to high degree ,which it would have to be + killed the rust before you bond the plate on + still it would need some mechanical fixing to stop "peel "
bonding is for cosmetic only not load bearing members
Seriously Why are you talking shit about "peel" bring your fucking head out of the 80's.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:51   #23
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Bonding is a perfectly good, even supreme method for joining faces. It is just best left to a manufacturer that the time, money, skills and calculations to be able to validate designs and take financial risk of it all going wrong.
Old 8th May 2013, 08:41   #24
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

the onl shit is coming from you as you obviously do not understand what "peel" is and the difference in bond strengths depending on how you load the parts and how a car will deform in an accident.
and the 80,s is 30years + ago --
and as adam points out what a manufacturer can do in clinical conditions on NEW metal with the correct priming +preparation will effect the strength of the bond dramtically so you should expect not the same results in all situations,unless exactly the smae conditions apply when the bond is made.
I come back to my other posts --

If it was stronger than weld --why do car makers still weld cars together for ALL critcal load bearing members --
even the lotus which uses extruded alloy sections for its chassis ,which is bonded together, still use cold rivets at critical points to stop "peel"

don,t come back with some more abuse and nonsense just give a precise answer to the question above regarding car makers build choices

you cannot because you are WRONG

I for one cannot think of a more citical load area than that which fixs the cage to the car as it is the last thing that stops the bodyshell from deforming in an accident

Last edited by axsaxoman; 8th May 2013 at 08:45.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 10:20   #25
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
the onl shit is coming from you as you obviously do not understand what "peel" is and the difference in bond strengths depending on how you load the parts and how a car will deform in an accident.
and the 80,s is 30years + ago --
and as adam points out what a manufacturer can do in clinical conditions on NEW metal with the correct priming +preparation will effect the strength of the bond dramtically so you should expect not the same results in all situations,unless exactly the smae conditions apply when the bond is made.
I come back to my other posts --

If it was stronger than weld --why do car makers still weld cars together for ALL critcal load bearing members --
even the lotus which uses extruded alloy sections for its chassis ,which is bonded together, still use cold rivets at critical points to stop "peel"

don,t come back with some more abuse and nonsense just give a precise answer to the question above regarding car makers build choices

you cannot because you are WRONG

I for one cannot think of a more citical load area than that which fixs the cage to the car as it is the last thing that stops the bodyshell from deforming in an accident
Like most people on here think you really are a arrogant Fucktard who can't spell with knowledge based in the past. Read my posts and tell me where I said to use it on the chassis or load bearing surface? oh wait that's right you cant.

Once you have done all the courses that I have for the epoxy system's come back at me, Oh wait you cant.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:42   #26
wadoryu
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): suzuki swift 1.2 sz3
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
wadoryu is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry the arguments between John and Bedford crack me up XD

Would it be possible to bond say faces together and then weld the outside of said metal?
Old 8th May 2013, 10:47   #27
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadoryu View Post
I'm sorry the arguments between John and Bedford crack me up XD

Would it be possible to bond say faces together and then weld the outside of said metal?
According to john no because apparently a heat gun can make the glue soft.

But in fact yes, There is a company that makes a zink rich weld through epoxy, cant comment on it though or how it works because I have never used it.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:52   #28
wadoryu
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): suzuki swift 1.2 sz3
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
wadoryu is on a distinguished road

Nice learn something every day, now I can go to sleep.
I have some wood glue in the shed and a soldering iron. I'm off to install a roll cage XD
Old 8th May 2013, 10:54   #29
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadoryu View Post
Nice learn something every day, now I can go to sleep.
I have some wood glue in the shed and a soldering iron. I'm off to install a roll cage XD
Don't forget you need some flux to clean the metal before you solder mate. You might also want to glue some rivets in place to stop peel.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:30   #30
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

well this escalated. Still not suitable for rollcages lol
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KamRacing For This Useful Post:
Old 8th May 2013, 11:53   #31
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
According to john no because apparently a heat gun can make the glue soft.

But in fact yes, There is a company that makes a zink rich weld through epoxy, cant comment on it though or how it works because I have never used it.
you might not have used it but i have and no it is only meant to be spot welded through it for the likes of wheel arches and that givres the mechanical fixing to stop peel and the zinc is to conduct the current ,as epoxy would insulate it and no current would pass --so no weld .
it is not meant to be used with mig welding as the heat spread is too much and could cause delamination
Old 8th May 2013, 12:08   #32
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
Like most people on here think you really are a arrogant Fucktard who can't spell with knowledge based in the past. Read my posts and tell me where I said to use it on the chassis or load bearing surface? oh wait that's right you cant.

Once you have done all the courses that I have for the epoxy system's come back at me, Oh wait you cant.
people who have the same" know it all but know fuck all" attiude as you yes they do think that but thats their problem ,not mine

i have read yuor posts and this thread is about sticking roll cage strengthening plates in instead of welding and it was you who escalated this argument
I simply answerd no it should not be done

for your info i have been on courses on expoxy lay ups and bonding when I built an expoxy/kevlar skinned foam cored wing based aircraft called a europa --so yes i know what expoxy can do and what it can,t .

do you know why all sail planes(gliders to you) are painted white ?

the reason is if they are left in the sun and were painted a dark colour the skins could get too hot and could start deforming -
doesn,t matter what type of grp or expoxy all the resins have basically the same heat related constrictions,
The Following User Says Thank You to axsaxoman For This Useful Post:
Old 8th May 2013, 14:44   #33
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
people who have the same" know it all but know fuck all" attiude as you yes they do think that but thats their problem ,not mine

i have read yuor posts and this thread is about sticking roll cage strengthening plates in instead of welding and it was you who escalated this argument
I simply answerd no it should not be done

for your info i have been on courses on expoxy lay ups and bonding when I built an expoxy/kevlar skinned foam cored wing based aircraft called a europa --so yes i know what expoxy can do and what it can,t .

do you know why all sail planes(gliders to you) are painted white ?

the reason is if they are left in the sun and were painted a dark colour the skins could get too hot and could start deforming -
doesn,t matter what type of grp or expoxy all the resins have basically the same heat related constrictions,
I like the way you try to act all intelligent yet still cant use basic punctuation correctly.

If you need more examples of knowing everything but knowing fuck all i suggest you read your posts or maybe your website.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:47   #34
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

/thread
Old 8th May 2013, 15:00   #35
Chris_O
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RB25'd s14a + 2008 MWB Transit
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Chris_O has a spectacular aura aboutChris_O has a spectacular aura aboutChris_O has a spectacular aura about

Anyone fancy a bum?
Old 8th May 2013, 15:24   #36
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

punctuation? you are on the internet. Who cares? (I typed this and it lacked capitals!)
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KamRacing For This Useful Post: