Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 16th December 2009, 23:10   #1
admad
Frequent Poster

Car(s): MR2 Turbo, impreza sti
admad is on a distinguished road
Default struggling to build lats

just wondering what do some of you guys do for your lats as mine are hard to grow, every other muscle grows really fast but lats dont seem to
admad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 00:20   #2
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v VTR + Nitrous
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
DusheR is on a distinguished road

Need to train them properly. Im not taking the piss, I was the same. Can you flex your lats? This helps you feel when your working them in the rep.

Then wide grip pull ups, cant cheat. When doing lat pull downs keep the chain/wire vertical. I see so many people leaning back using momentum. Load of bollocks.

Then I like to do cross bench pullovers to stretch them out. Keep your arms locked in position so you dont use your tri's. Push your shoulders up aswell so you feel the tension on your lats. The rep is just the bottom half, from behind your head to just above, any more and its chest.

Then get massive...
Old 17th December 2009, 07:36   #3
admad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusheR View Post
Need to train them properly. Im not taking the piss, I was the same. Can you flex your lats? This helps you feel when your working them in the rep.

Then wide grip pull ups, cant cheat. When doing lat pull downs keep the chain/wire vertical. I see so many people leaning back using momentum. Load of bollocks.

Then I like to do cross bench pullovers to stretch them out. Keep your arms locked in position so you dont use your tri's. Push your shoulders up aswell so you feel the tension on your lats. The rep is just the bottom half, from behind your head to just above, any more and its chest.

Then get massive...
i do both of those already mate i also use the cables to work my lats i do 10 reps above my head then 1o mid way, 10 low then 10 bent over i can flex them and they are there i just want more size to them
Old 17th December 2009, 19:06   #4
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Be patient then, there a large muscle, take their time to grow.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:28   #5
dave106
Infrequent Poster
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk1 vts, Peugeot 106 s1 gti conversion-for sale
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
dave106 will become famous soon enough

if its to easy to do pull ups on there own, try putting a dumbbell between your thighs and cross your calf muscles to grip it.

make sure you are doing the pull ups with you palms facing away from you aswell. otherwise it works different muscles
dave106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 20:50   #6
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

ultra wide grip pull ups as said, best thing in the world for bringing your lats out, slowwwwwwwwwww reps, and jus a point to make, i know what you mean about the momentum dusher but you do need a slight bit of lean to use the cable pull down, not totally vertical just slighlty bent back over, but keep your upper body still dont swing it as most do then say look how much i can pull...lmao, but as said be patient, evryone has a muscle group that lacks in comparison to others this maybe yours? think yourself lucky, some ppl have lacking arms to deal with......
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 21:43   #7
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

I dont lean back myself, just arch my back, pulling the bar down to the top of my chest. The more you lean back the less of your lats your using. I do agree, arms would be much worse. I have a pal who gets called doll arms... poor lad.

Last edited by DusheR; 17th December 2009 at 21:47.
DusheR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 21:53   #8
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

thats what i mean, like slighlty have your upper back arched back a bit and pull straight down to the top of your chest as said, not vertical, my arms lack slighlty in respect to the rest of me bit not too much so im not that bad, back and shoulders dont half make up for it thouh
Old 17th December 2009, 22:12   #9
admad
Frequent Poster

cheers for the comments people im gonna really concentrate on these now i feel i got good form on my exercises and i do them slow and contolled gonna up the weight and drop to sets of 8 rather than ten and see what happens
Old 17th December 2009, 22:52   #10
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

souds good mate, keep us posted, more weight less reps is better for bulking so they say... just get a good mix IMO as just doing heavy little set doenst give you such a pump as with a good mix, drop sets rule for ending your session on
Old 17th December 2009, 23:07   #11
Crunkers
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): 53 Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!Crunkers is absolutely fabulous!

Have you tried drop sets lat pull downs?? I do 4 sets of wide grip pull downs, when I hit the final set once I've hit the 6-8 reps I get my mate to drop the weight by 2-3 plates, then I crack out as many as I can again, then do it one more time. BLoody hell it dont half hurt!
Crunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crunkers For This Useful Post:
Old 17th December 2009, 23:16   #12
admad
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunkers View Post
Have you tried drop sets lat pull downs?? I do 4 sets of wide grip pull downs, when I hit the final set once I've hit the 6-8 reps I get my mate to drop the weight by 2-3 plates, then I crack out as many as I can again, then do it one more time. BLoody hell it dont half hurt!
good idea mate i been doing drop sets on biceps triceps and shoulders never thought of doing that for pull downs.

I did pulldowns tonight so gonna have to wait til next week now.........DAMN!! lol
Old 18th December 2009, 18:26   #13
carl
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): 1996 Citroen Saxo 1.1i, 1999 Citroen Saxo VTR
carl is an unknown quantity at this point

What's your routine like? ie what day(s) are you training back?

You should be careful not to over train It, lift heavy when you do, maybe try deadlifts to strengthen your back, this will help with other exercises to improve the lat's. Like someone said above keep form spot on, If you can't get the good stance you've been shown or seen on a tutorial video then lower the weight.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:49   #14
admad
Frequent Poster

i do my back thursday it goes like this:
wide grip pull downs, not sure what its called but a bar shaped like a bulls horns pulldowns, t-bar rows (wide and narrow), another row style workout with 3 different grips, hyper extensions, dead lifts, good morning exercise, bent rows, im sure theres a few more i havent listed
i dont do all these on one workout i varie them week 2 week but always do hyper extensions, dead lifts and wide pull downs
Old 13th January 2010, 21:11   #15
admad
Frequent Poster

quick update ppl thanks for the advice im getting some nice gains now just gotta stick at it i want them huge lol
Old 5th February 2010, 02:36   #16
1ntense
Regular Poster

Car(s): VTR
1ntense is on a distinguished road

the secret to a good v taper is to control the negative of the exercise, ie on lat pull downs raise the bar slowly, taking at least 2 seconds, 4 being better.

chins are the daddy when it comes to building good lats, though lat pull downs are also good.

I personally use a slow negative on all exercises, theres lots of ways to train though, got to find what works best for you mate, trial and error is the only way

all the best with your training mate

Danny
1ntense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:31   #17
Lauren_goldsax

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Desire 1.1i
Lauren_goldsax is on a distinguished road

I cant really help much but as a side note, make sure you definantly want them, my boyfriends worked them a good couple of years ago and he literally cant get rid of them and regrets it.
Lauren_goldsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:39   #18
admad
Frequent Poster

yeah i do want them lol i have built them up quite nicely since i first posted thanks for the warning tho
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:48   #19
Gordi
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo Vtr
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gordi will become famous soon enough

what about this for lats?

wide grip pullups
bent over barbell rows
dumbell pullover
dumbell rows

All 4sets of 6 heavy as you can manage.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:56   #20
admad
Frequent Poster

i do wide grip pull ups, t-bar rows (wide and narrow), dumbell rows as i can lift more with better form than barbell), seated pullover machine, seated rows (not sure on name of machine) behind neck pulldowns, standing wide grip pushdowns

not all at once but t-bar, pull ups and dumbell rows each time then a mx of couple others each week