Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 6th September 2006, 23:15   #1
Dave86
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Dave86 will become famous soon enoughDave86 will become famous soon enough
Default How to smoke rear lights!?

Alright guys, just wondering if anybody could tell me how to smoke some standard rear lights?? And how easy is it to do? Or should ii just buy a set of lights that are already smoked? Cheers, Dave
Dave86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 23:20   #2
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Dave, im aways one for trying new things and even though I have use of a compressor and spray gun I doubt I'd bother trying to smoke my own. Getting the black to lacquer ratio would be a pain for a start and then making sure they are still visable and legal would be another.

You could get them done professionally but then you will have paid an almighty chuck that could have gone towards some proper lights.

They're only about £57 off the 'bay delivered i think.

and another thing.
Please go smoked. the car will look the tits.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 00:23   #3
Danadaman_3
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): Posi Blue Saxo
Danadaman_3 will become famous soon enoughDanadaman_3 will become famous soon enough

no its easy peasy lemon squeezy. halfords sell tint spray, top stuff IMO.

"Foliatec - Rear Light Tinting Spray" does exactly what it says on the can. Comes in black, blue and red.

Take lights off and degrease, i actually washed mine in sink and hairdried them dry. Mask any bits you dont want done and then spray making sure not to put it on too thickly or it will run. i gave mine about 7 coats, you can keep going as dark as you want!

Mine are standard MK2 lights and are now just a tad darker than the MK1 style :thumbup:

Last edited by Danadaman_3; 7th September 2006 at 00:26.
Danadaman_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 04:35   #4
GT3
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Cammed Stripped VTS and Daily Driver VTS
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
GT3 is a jewel in the roughGT3 is a jewel in the roughGT3 is a jewel in the rough

In my opinion DIY smoked lights look cheap, if you want to go the DIY route why not use the foliatec red tinted spray and do the top bit in red. Different and won't look cheap. Otherwise go for ultra smoked crystal jobbies.
GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:51   #5
DevilDamo
Saxperience Addict
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!

And the police can give you an on the spot fine if they think you've diminished your rear lights thus making them darker and making it more difficult for other road users to see. Would probably be easier buying a new set from E-bay for around £60.
DevilDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 10:56   #6
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Are there no super bright bulbs u could stick in em for people who have completely blackened out the rear clusters? I know this wouldnt fix the reflectors problems but iv seen a few cars about in edinburgh with a solid tone rear cluster but still a bright glow from the bulb? (Iv also seen a more with nearly no light getting through too though )

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 11:19   #7
DevilDamo
Saxperience Addict
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!DevilDamo is absolutely fabulous!

It could be done but be weary that they can only take a certain amount of power and if they were too powerful, it'd cause them to trip out on a regular basis. And... if the lights start to loose the colour, then the bulbs would be far too bright to use on the road.
DevilDamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 12:35   #8
Danadaman_3
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): Posi Blue Saxo
Danadaman_3 will become famous soon enoughDanadaman_3 will become famous soon enough

you would get pulled constantly for "solid tone lights" . but they do look awesome. it is possible though, but the police wouldnt be happy at all more than likely. you have to use paint and laquer to about 1 : 5 ratio or something, and brighter brake lights are advised!

If you do want them though i would get them done proffesionally so you can take them back and get your money back if your told to take them off
Danadaman_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 17:55   #9
chopa
Regular Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr
chopa is just really nicechopa is just really nicechopa is just really nicechopa is just really nice

mate just use tint spray, bought from halfords, take off your lights, clean them up a bit and spray them as dark as you like. ive done mine with tint spray and have never had any trouble with the police even when they have been behind me. if your worried bout them passing an mot buy a couple of reflectors and stick them on your boot when the time comes to it then take them back off after. if you want any pics or more advice pm me.
chopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 18:31   #10
Dave86
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Dave86 will become famous soon enoughDave86 will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the advice guys. Im unsure what ill do yet. Might just buy some black ones off ebay! Cheers anyway!
Dave86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 12:43   #11
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

when you tint them does the tint spray not wash off in the rain. and if i mess up can i wash it off? and how dark can i go before there illegal? cheers
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 12:54   #12
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

it'd be the most pointless spray in the world if it washed off in the rain.

If you cock it up you could just sand it down but then the lights are gonna look whack.
Dont be cheap just go buy a proper set.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 13:02   #13
Josh_Phipps
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Mk 2 Vtr (sold), Fiat Seciento Sporting
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Josh_Phipps is just really niceJosh_Phipps is just really niceJosh_Phipps is just really niceJosh_Phipps is just really nice

Agreed ^
Old 18th January 2008, 12:40   #14
1100desire
Frequent Poster

1100desire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopa View Post
mate just use tint spray, bought from halfords, take off your lights, clean them up a bit and spray them as dark as you like. ive done mine with tint spray and have never had any trouble with the police even when they have been behind me. if your worried bout them passing an mot buy a couple of reflectors and stick them on your boot when the time comes to it then take them back off after. if you want any pics or more advice pm me.
im about to spray mine really nervous though also is it passable if you have reflectors on the back even if its quite tinted say mk1 saxo level
1100desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 13:45   #15
SaxoAL
Saxperience Addict
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Project MK4 MoreDoor
iTrader Score: 31 (100%)
SaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team memberSaxoAL is a well respected team member

nope, wouldn't pass an MOT, as said in other thread. E-marking would be void.
SaxoAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 20:39   #16
JoshWestCoast
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.4i Westcoast
JoshWestCoast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopa View Post
hi just wandering if i smoke mine quite dark, would i need seperate reflectors, if so how many and where?? thanks .
JoshWestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 20:58   #17
JoshWestCoast
Infrequent Poster

oh right didnt realise what the guy above said
Old 4th February 2010, 21:14   #18
JoshWestCoast
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWestCoast View Post
oh right didnt realise what the guy above said
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...egory=hosekits
Old 4th February 2010, 21:42   #19
sam2kk8
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Starlet GT Turbo [jap import]
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
sam2kk8 is on a distinguished road

get the tint spray from ebay for like 8 quid, few light coats...job done
good quality
sam2kk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 16:42   #20
jakeyboi
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk6 fiesta
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
jakeyboi is on a distinguished road

ive seen a few pics on peoples progress threads , where they have just sprayed the top half of there rear lights, looks ok, but get some smoked jewels
jakeyboi is offline   Reply With Quote