Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports > Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your non saxo in this forum.

Old 25th June 2014, 10:15   #1
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road
Default The Citroen Commute Weapon

For the last 2 years, the wife unit has minced about in this:

It would do 30mpg however you drove it, and the comically small tank means 230 miles from a tank pretty much. She's just got a new job with an 85 mile a day commute 4 days a week, and the thought of spannering away on the bastard over the winter when it inevitably breaks led us to looking at newer options.

Not being keen on finance / leasing, it's not really something I've looked into before, however, it turns out it's basically the cheapest way to get her to work for the forseeable, which is sort of a sad state of affairs lol.

So here starts a 2 year foray into the world of leasing a car, as opposed to my preferred choice of bangernomics. Behold, the Citroen C1.

Stop laughing at the back there! It turns out, these are being replaced with a slightly larger newer model, so Citroen / Toyota / Peugeot are doing really competitive deals on these till the end of the month, when they start taking orders for the newer ones. To that end, it's actually cheaper to lease AND fuel the C1 over 2 years and 40,000 miles than it is to just fuel and tax the Ka, which sadly, you can't really argue with for a commute weapon.

The huge attraction for me is that it's new, so it's warrantied the entire time we'll have it, it shouldn't break and I shouldn't need to spend any time replacing bits on it over the next 2 years. It's also much easier to budget and plan costs for it, as we have the servicing plan which will be pennies, it'll likely need 1 set of tyres during it's time with us, the VED is free and we'll not have it long enough to MOT it.

In comparison, the Ka is on 86,000 miles on the original clutch, I know it needed rear shocks, 4 wheel bearings and 4 tyres, and who know what else would have cropped up over the next 2 years.

I'll basically not be doing anything to it, bar keeping it tidy, servicing it, and tracking the costs to see if my math's has been correct. Since they're doing deals on it I ordered the 'Platinum' spec one, which now that it's arrived I'm pretty happy about, as the bobby basic one must be basically the most depressing driving experience known to man.

I've never had a 'new' car as I'm pretty much 'old tat', so this was weird to see:

Sharp put that right though lol. That's got to be the most optimistic speedo going.

For your 'Platinum', you get the worlds gashest rear spoiler, alloys, DRL's (urgh), gloss black interior trim, black doors strips, metallic paint, rev counter (oh aye), tints bruv, remote central locking, leccy windows, air-con, and the only really useful option, an MP3 CD audio system with bluetooth, syncs up to wife's iPhone so she's got handsfree and can play as much backstreet boys / james blunt etc as she like. The Platinum comes with a Carlinite Grey roof, mirrors and spoiler in whatever colour you order, so we ordered a Carlinite Grey car so it didn't look gash.

I told you the spoiler was appalling:

In all honesty I have no idea what it's actually like as I've not driven it yet. I'm hoping it's reliable, and cheap to run.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 11:27   #2
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

Well, I read this by accident. For some reason I forgot you'd bought one and thought you'd been keeping secrets from me.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 11:36   #3
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking little car
Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 11:38   #4
chompy
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Because racecar
chompy is on a distinguished road

We used to have them as pool cars. surprisingly nippy for what they are and quite fun to chuck about if you can keep yourself in the seat.

Great MPG-age though
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 20:49   #5
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Phase 2 VTS , E61 M5
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
MuZiZZle is on a distinguished road

When you say the wife unit minced about in it.........

That said, this makes utter sense, I too shall be joining the realm of the lease soon, ish, maybe, a bit, possibly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again "TRACK IT"
Old 25th June 2014, 22:20   #6
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Do awesome mpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 10:26   #7
VTS_16v_Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Pug 1007 HDi Sport (daily) / Abarth 500
VTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant futureVTS_16v_Boy has a brilliant future

Little 3cyclinders sound like little supercars lol

Seen some nice euro'd ones but as it's the missis's, leave it alone and just keep it wash'n'polished... Although, never hurts to throw some colour on the front callipers, maybe French pressed number plates, few stickers... Etc etc
Old 20th July 2014, 11:11   #8
hazlo
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hazlo is on a distinguished road

Fair play that was a good read!
hazlo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazlo For This Useful Post:
Old 21st July 2014, 09:26   #9
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST & 206 GTI180
Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

Propper fannys car that mate. It's not really your wifes is it

Looks nice bar the spoiler! Still from what you say and what I've read the running cost must be really good.

Last of all, at least it's not a 206 lol

ST
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie For This Useful Post:
Old 21st July 2014, 09:35   #10
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Propper fannys car that mate. It's not really your wifes is it

Looks nice bar the spoiler! Still from what you say and what I've read the running cost must be really good.
It was either this or a 206, but I don't hate myself enough for that yet, so you know....

haha, cheers dude.

Well.... so far, it's working out. Since the 106 is in various states of disrepair, we took it to the Bolton Abbey meet yesterday and it did fine. We've just clocked over 1,300 miles in it since delivery, and the mpg has markedly increased in the last 400 miles. The handbook says that by 1200 the engine should be run in and the fuel consumption should settle out.

Yesterday was baking, and we did a 260 mile round trip, 2 adults, a cake, a picnic hamper, coolbox, giant jenga set, impossible to erect outdoor awning, and 3 outdoors chairs which basically packed it out, intermittent air con use, and it averaged 66.9mpg for the trip. On a general motorway run without the skipton hills and tourists, I'd say it will easily crack 70mpg on a run.

As planned, currently it's working out cheaper to pay the lease for the C1 and fuel it, than it was to cover the same mileage and simply fuel her StreetKa, so we're quids in thus far.

The spoiler is horrific, but it's fairly easy to ignore. It's a pretty good "white goods" vehicle to be honest, the speakers are absolutely appalling, but bar that it's not bad at all. Based on yesterdays economy on a run, to fill the tank from the light is £42.90 and we're getting around 485 miles from that. It's basically cheaper than walking.
Old 21st July 2014, 09:37   #11
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTS_16v_Boy View Post
Little 3cyclinders sound like little supercars lol

Seen some nice euro'd ones but as it's the missis's, leave it alone and just keep it wash'n'polished... Although, never hurts to throw some colour on the front callipers, maybe French pressed number plates, few stickers... Etc etc
It's leased dude, so bar servicing it and keeping an eye on running costs to see if it actually does save us money in the long run, it'll be getting nothing lol.

I'm half tempted by a huge #YOLO sunstrip like...
Old 21st July 2014, 10:20   #12
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore

Looks shit, needs lowering
Old 21st July 2014, 10:29   #13
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
It was either this or a 206, but I don't hate myself enough for that yet, so you know....

haha, cheers dude.

Well.... so far, it's working out. Since the 106 is in various states of disrepair, we took it to the Bolton Abbey meet yesterday and it did fine. We've just clocked over 1,300 miles in it since delivery, and the mpg has markedly increased in the last 400 miles. The handbook says that by 1200 the engine should be run in and the fuel consumption should settle out.

Yesterday was baking, and we did a 260 mile round trip, 2 adults, a cake, a picnic hamper, coolbox, giant jenga set, impossible to erect outdoor awning, and 3 outdoors chairs which basically packed it out, intermittent air con use, and it averaged 66.9mpg for the trip. On a general motorway run without the skipton hills and tourists, I'd say it will easily crack 70mpg on a run.

As planned, currently it's working out cheaper to pay the lease for the C1 and fuel it, than it was to cover the same mileage and simply fuel her StreetKa, so we're quids in thus far.

The spoiler is horrific, but it's fairly easy to ignore. It's a pretty good "white goods" vehicle to be honest, the speakers are absolutely appalling, but bar that it's not bad at all. Based on yesterdays economy on a run, to fill the tank from the light is £42.90 and we're getting around 485 miles from that. It's basically cheaper than walking.
Hahaha!

Holy moly those figures are good. I'm averaging 26 atm (do drive tosserish to hear the pops though). I'd actually love something like this for bouncing around in. My sister has one of the new KA's and although not the same, possibly similar to run and I just couldn't believe how cheap it was to keep moving!

I know what you mean with the StreetKa's they aren't great on fuel! Infact my ex's was terribad, and things always went wrong like ABS module, water pump housing *I think* no warm air through blowers, central locking went doolally and god knows what else lol.

One day I think I'll end up with something like this as a second car, it makes so much sense. I never used to think about MPG etc but as I'm heading towards 30 in a few yrs I'm having to realise it's not all about performance and what those figures can actually translate in to, I.e more comfortable life etc.

Spoiler isn't that bad really, just bizarre they lobbed it on lol. Car looks respectable without!

ST
Old 21st July 2014, 10:35   #14
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Hahaha!

Holy moly those figures are good. I'm averaging 26 atm (do drive tosserish to hear the pops though). I'd actually love something like this for bouncing around in. My sister has one of the new KA's and although not the same, possibly similar to run and I just couldn't believe how cheap it was to keep moving!

I know what you mean with the StreetKa's they aren't great on fuel! Infact my ex's was terribad, and things always went wrong like ABS module, water pump housing *I think* no warm air through blowers, central locking went doolally and god knows what else lol.

One day I think I'll end up with something like this as a second car, it makes so much sense. I never used to think about MPG etc but as I'm heading towards 30 in a few yrs I'm having to realise it's not all about performance and what those figures can actually translate in to, I.e more comfortable life etc.

Spoiler isn't that bad really, just bizarre they lobbed it on lol. Car looks respectable without!
That's it basically, it's like a super cheap way to get about, and means I can tinker on with the 106 whenever without having to keep it "roadworthyish" in case her car breaks.

If ever my commute has gone nuts, I've bought something like a 106 diesel for £500, as they do insane economiez as well, maybe I'm getting old but the idea of never having to fuck on with this to keep it running / MOT'd really really appeals lol.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:44   #15
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
That's it basically, it's like a super cheap way to get about, and means I can tinker on with the 106 whenever without having to keep it "roadworthyish" in case her car breaks.

If ever my commute has gone nuts, I've bought something like a 106 diesel for £500, as they do insane economiez as well, maybe I'm getting old but the idea of never having to fuck on with this to keep it running / MOT'd really really appeals lol.
That's what is also really appealing to me, when the 206 goes wrong, which lets face it, it it's eventually going to being a 2003 car it would be nice to have something sitting there that doesn't need anything that can run on bloody air! I sit pissing around with that car and tend to forget that the next day I need to use it lol!!

Maybe a 106 derv could be the way for me soon. I just know I need to stop being a plank and spunking shit tones on a stupid little car that returns no mpgs lol!!

I do like this car.

ST
Old 21st July 2014, 10:55   #16
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
I just know I need to stop being a plank and spunking shit tones on a stupid little car that returns no mpgs lol!!
I don't so much mind this bit, I'll always be tinkering with something I think, but it's nicer and far more enjoyable if it doesn't "need" to work all the time haha.
Old 21st July 2014, 11:36   #17
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
I don't so much mind this bit, I'll always be tinkering with something I think, but it's nicer and far more enjoyable if it doesn't "need" to work all the time haha.
I'll be joining you soon, maybe, sensible commute car, not homosexuality
Old 21st July 2014, 11:59   #18
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZiZZle View Post
I'll be joining you soon, maybe, sensible commute car, not homosexuality
Replace the sticker pack with a single one?

'Mo Cheapz'
Old 21st July 2014, 12:13   #19
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Nor do I dude but everything for mine seems to cost too much mula and when things go I have no alternate ride, not even a bike anymore. LOL.

I just don't know if I could actually not modify something in some way it's like a disease!

ST