Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > XBox Chat

XBox Chat Please use this forum to discuss X-box related topics.

Old 12th August 2010, 10:42   #1
Freakin_Sweeet
Frequent Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Gold Saxo VTR Mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Freakin_Sweeet will become famous soon enough
Default Mobile Internet & Live

Hey all,

right me and the missus have just moved house. Unfortunately there is no phoneline. We also do not have a computer.

Now I desperately want to start playing on Live again and I understand that I could do this by attaching a computer to the xbox and using a dongle in the computer. So now Ive decided Id probably going to sign up to mobile broadband with a free laptop.

So the question is, can anyone advise any netowrks or deals that give the free laptop, and also Im aware most mobile internet deals have a usage cap, does anyone know how much Live would use and if the cap would mean that this is a pointless excersice? Am hoping to get it today, as have just got out of hospital after surgery and recovering just isnt the same without xbox! Lol.

Thanks in advance.
Freakin_Sweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 10:49   #2
tokyodrifte
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
tokyodrifte is on a distinguished road

You would most probably lag, and the mobile internet caps are at such a limit you would probably go over it within the month.... depending how much you play.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:08   #3
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

For the price of a landline phone bundle with broadband, I would seriously go for that option if you can afford it!

All you would need to really do is monitor your average online gaming data usage (if your dongle has the software for checking your limit usage amount with the provider) and see how much it uses for a few sessions. It shouldn't be a hell of a lot, but then I've never looked as I dont own a dongle, only a landline subscription.

My mate has a dongle for his laptop, he uses XBL being connected to the laptop by Ethernet, he doesnt get many problems with lag very often, although almost every hour he will lag and get booted from the match in MW2and RDR. But then other times it will just lag and then sort itself out. I'll be looking at it this afternoon to sort the problem out for him if there is one.

Give it a try and just look at how much you use, data usage wise. You can usually get (dont hold me to this as I'm not sure) a landline with broadband package for around the same money, if not the same amount that you spend paying the dongle bills. I wouldnt know off hand without researching it though.

So if you want to go for the dongle option, ask before you buy if you're in two minds if it will do the job, or, and thats a big OR you can contact XBox themselves and email support and see what they have to say. Long winded I know, but saving money is a key factor, depending on what you're living area supports, if you can go for cable, go for cable. It is so much faster than broadband on a massive scale....

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me

Last edited by MarkyG; 13th August 2010 at 08:16.
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 14:51   #4
GoochyBoy
Established Member

Car(s): Black Saxo VTR MK2
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
GoochyBoy is on a distinguished road

i would think you would need to bridge the connection and tbh when i last bridged a connection to play xbl i lagged like FoooooK - i'd advise just waiting and getting it sorted properly tbh - for a much more fulfilling experience

SaxoFurioProgressThread
GoochyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:23   #5
Jamb0
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Focus mk2 zs, 1.8
Jamb0 is on a distinguished road

you would need your laptop on every time you wanted to play :/ for the cost of the electric bills might be worthwile getting a fone line.

or another way could be to just get cable internet installed, if im correct virgin can do this without a phone line.