Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 4th March 2010, 11:01   #681
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

But fully synthetic is only used for race engines? It's such a thin oil and my car burns a little bit of oil, surely the thicker the better and more quiet it will run? I have also spoken to my mechanic who said use a semi.
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 16:57   #682
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Full synthetic is not used only in race engines, it's used to get the best protection in any vehicle. All new and newish BMWs, Audis etc use fully synthetic oils and you find they will often easily go past 200000 miles with no problems at all (one at home is on 275k and drives like new)

Synthetic oil is not thin, it's whatever grade you buy it in. If you buy a synthetic 5w-40 it will be nice and thin when cold so you get good cold start protection, but the same viscosity as a bog standard 15w-40 mineral or semi oil when it's up to temperature.

Synthetic oils burn off slower than mineral or semi oils as the synthetic oils are more stable and are made up of molecules that are all the same size. The molecules in mineral and semi oils are all random sizes and it means that the smaller molecules evaporate off and get burnt when the oil is hot, and then leave behind the larger heavier moleules that flow slowly, so the oil just doesn't lubricate properly after a fairly short period of time.

It's up to you what you use.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 12:18   #683
LouisUK
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
LouisUK is on a distinguished road

What engine oil do you recommend on standard 02' VTR. Thanks.
LouisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 18:48   #684
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Just look up your model here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-879-prod...or-my-car.aspx

Cheers

Guy
Old 7th March 2010, 23:11   #685
matt19
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 8v VTR
iTrader Score: 0 (50%)
matt19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Just look up your model here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-879-prod...or-my-car.aspx

Cheers

Guy
just looked at that mate .. it only has the vts on there for some reason ??? no vtr
matt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 23:16   #686
matt19
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 8v VTR
iTrader Score: 0 (50%)
matt19 is on a distinguished road

would this be okay for my engine ??
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60453-cl...y-renault.aspx
have a vtr .. 102,000 miles .. daily use but take it to the track very occasionaly , thanks
matt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 11:17   #687
LouisUK
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Only VTS comes up for me too mate.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:37   #688
kyle_d
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 157bhp mk2 cammed VTS.
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
kyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to behold

What oil should i be using? The owner before run it on Magnatec 5w30 so thats what iv been using too.

I have a 2002 VTS, but its tuned to 157bhp. Currently on 90k mileage, used everyday.. not driven very hard to be honest.

Is this oil okay?
Old 8th March 2010, 19:00   #689
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19 View Post
would this be okay for my engine ??
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60453-cl...y-renault.aspx
have a vtr .. 102,000 miles .. daily use but take it to the track very occasionaly , thanks
That should be fine as long as it's very occasional track use, go for the Fuchs GT1 5w-40 if you go more than once or twice a year. Thats a better oil and also reduced. I'll get VTRs added, but they use the same stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 8th March 2010, 19:02   #690
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_d View Post
What oil should i be using? The owner before run it on Magnatec 5w30 so thats what iv been using too.

I have a 2002 VTS, but its tuned to 157bhp. Currently on 90k mileage, used everyday.. not driven very hard to be honest.

Is this oil okay?
I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

The Magnatec 5w-30 is a bit thin and basic for the best protection in a tuned VTS
Old 8th March 2010, 19:12   #691
kyle_d
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

kyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to beholdkyle_d is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I cant use a 5/40 until i next do an oil change then can i? I need to top up soon.

Thanks for the knowledge i have noooo clue about oil.

Also, by 'Fuchs Titan Supersyn' did you mean the £25 one or the £30 one? I dont really wanna spend more than £30 so which one should i get?

Iv registered so i'll get the discount

Last edited by kyle_d; 8th March 2010 at 19:32.
kyle_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 19:51   #692
oilman
Established Member

You can top up with 5w-40, oils mix with no problems

I forgot about the clearance oils, this one's better than the Supersyn, and cheaper

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60446-cl...ngine-oil.aspx
Old 8th March 2010, 19:57   #693
kyle_d
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

What if my current oil level is between 1/4 - 1/2 full of magnatec 5w30 can i still put that Fuchs 5w40 in? Just wanna make sure you dont mean its okay to mix if i dont have much of the other in.

If i do an oil change myself do i need to change the oil filter too? It only got changed 4 weeks ago or something.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:07   #694
oilman
Established Member

They will mix ok no matter what ratio they are in, only thing is you are diluting the good oil.

The filter should be fine after a month to keep using
Old 8th March 2010, 20:16   #695
LouisUK
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Would 4 litres of link be good enough for my 02' VTR? Just want to make sure
Old 8th March 2010, 20:37   #696
kyle_d
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
They will mix ok no matter what ratio they are in, only thing is you are diluting the good oil.

The filter should be fine after a month to keep using
Right ok, thanks! I will buy the GT1 oil when i can and try leave putting it in until my magnatec is at the lowest point on my oil level and then put it in.

How long is the offer on for the Fuchs GT1? Im not sure when i'm gonna be able to get it.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:43   #697
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisUK View Post
Would 4 litres of link be good enough for my 02' VTR? Just want to make sure
Ideal
Old 8th March 2010, 20:44   #698
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_d View Post
Right ok, thanks! I will buy the GT1 oil when i can and try leave putting it in until my magnatec is at the lowest point on my oil level and then put it in.

How long is the offer on for the Fuchs GT1? Im not sure when i'm gonna be able to get it.
Its while stocks last on offer, should be there for a little while though.

Cheers

Guy
Old 10th March 2010, 20:25   #699
leviwells88

Car(s): citroen saxo 1.1 2002
leviwells88 is on a distinguished road

citroen saxo 1.1 2002

no mods as of yet, only had it for 2 weeks, mainly used for drivin round the town

would like engine and gearbox oil recommendations please, cheers mate
leviwells88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 21:44   #700
oilman
Established Member

If you look up your model here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-879-prod...or-my-car.aspx You will find some suitable oils

Cheers

Guy