Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 15th April 2019, 21:40   #41
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

RichSaxoVTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
That really sucks! I've done the timing belt on 2, 1.1 desires and so far so good. Hope they do a good job of rebuilding the engine!
Glad yours are okay. Yeah was crazy when they told me. My Dad, whos a mechanic, couldn't believe it. Childish error from a garage who does these things week in week out.

But yeah, new rebuild now, which is good.
RichSaxoVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 21:44   #42
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

I didn't lean on my engine properly for weeks after doing my timing belt, finally at the stage where it regularly hits 6k on the motorway slip roads. Currently got an annoying knock from the front end. The only moving part that isn't brand new is the inner track rods, think they're on my to do list now annoying! Let me know how the engine is when you get the car back!
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 21:46   #43
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
I didn't lean on my engine properly for weeks after doing my timing belt, finally at the stage where it regularly hits 6k on the motorway slip roads. Currently got an annoying knock from the front end. The only moving part that isn't brand new is the inner track rods, think they're on my to do list now annoying! Let me know how the engine is when you get the car back!
Yeah these things are annoying. Hope it's fine and yeah will do.
Old 18th April 2019, 13:43   #44
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Finally got my Saxo VTR back this morning after it having an engine rebuild; new inlet valves, new exhaust valves, new cambelt, new gaskets, new oil, spark plugs, leads, flushed out and a full service! It only went in for a routine cambelt change last week and an unfortunate mistake happened where all previous 8 valves got bent (as cambelt slipped 3 notches), lol!!! These are the photos the garage sent me, with a cool photo of some art work done on the Saxo while work was being carried out. Brand new engine now! 😂😅😂

Old 18th April 2019, 16:44   #45
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Hows it driving? Glad it's back and working. Are you meant to drive gently for a while with the head rebuilt?
Old 18th April 2019, 17:00   #46
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Hows it driving? Glad it's back and working. Are you meant to drive gently for a while with the head rebuilt?
Drives great. Need to bed it all in now, you're right. Hopefully no problems with it. Someone said it's 1k miles to bed in? Don't know if it's that much, but will need a few miles on it now.
Old 18th April 2019, 18:27   #47
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSaxoVTR View Post
Drives great. Need to bed it all in now, you're right. Hopefully no problems with it. Someone said it's 1k miles to bed in? Don't know if it's that much, but will need a few miles on it now.
Also it sounds a tad tappety, but i think it needs to bed in first as it's all new.
Old 18th April 2019, 20:13   #48
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

I'd take it nice and gently for a while like you said. Hopefully the tappety sound will go. I'm not one to give advice to breaking an engine in because I bought an astra vxr years ago and found myself doing 150mph in Germany a couple of hours after collecting it from eastbourne.....
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post:
Old 18th April 2019, 20:47   #49
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
I'm not one to give advice to breaking an engine in because I bought an astra vxr years ago and found myself doing 150mph in Germany a couple of hours after collecting it from eastbourne.....
Legend! 😂
Old 18th April 2019, 21:08   #50
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Was in the army based in Germany so got it tax free, best bit was just cracking along at about 140mph and seeing a focus st joining the autobahn ahead hitting the limiter in each gear and seeing a lick of flame around 130mph as he moved in into 6th gear. For some reason the rear crank seal failed at 10,000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post:
Old 26th April 2019, 09:46   #51
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

I've recently had a rattling / knocking noise coming from the front right after my front end rebuild in which I replaced every item I could think of. The knock noise was mose prevalent over light potholes and going on and off speed bumps. It got worse over time. After investigating and head scratching I finally found the problem was that the shock retainer has loosened itself off a bit so the shock was bouncing up and down within the strut making a knock whenever it hit the top of bottom. I just jacked up the car, lifted up the plastic shock cover and managed to screw it a bit tighter with a set of wide grips. Couldn't snug it up properly with those grips but it completely removed the noise. I've bought a pipe wrench and will be properly tightening the shock retainer this weekend.
Old 28th April 2019, 07:13   #52
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
I've recently had a rattling / knocking noise coming from the front right after my front end rebuild in which I replaced every item I could think of. The knock noise was mose prevalent over light potholes and going on and off speed bumps. It got worse over time. After investigating and head scratching I finally found the problem was that the shock retainer has loosened itself off a bit so the shock was bouncing up and down within the strut making a knock whenever it hit the top of bottom. I just jacked up the car, lifted up the plastic shock cover and managed to screw it a bit tighter with a set of wide grips. Couldn't snug it up properly with those grips but it completely removed the noise. I've bought a pipe wrench and will be properly tightening the shock retainer this weekend.
That's good you found what the problem was in the end. Have you got any pics of the car?
Old 28th April 2019, 16:00   #53
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Quote:
That's good you found what the problem was in the end. Have you got any pics of the car?
I have pics but I don't have any of the necessary things for posting pictures to a forum. One extra thing for me to forget the password to. Just a fairly tidy, 3 door metallic blue saxo with mint front suspension powder coated matte black. Mint looking alternator because it failed and got rebuilt. The wheels are steelies covered in ruse lol. Half tempted to get the steel wheels powder coated matte black like the front struts but cant afford to have the car off the road at the moment or afford to have it done either lol.
Old 17th May 2019, 16:54   #54
klusaxo

Car(s): 2001 Ford Fiesta Flight 2002 Citroen Saxo Desire
klusaxo is on a distinguished road

Kicked it cos I got mad

Jk. My car is not moveable at the moment so I just cleaned it and stuck my new scrapyard emblems on the back cos the idiots who owned it before took them off
klusaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 20:14   #55
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Washed and polished it today with Autoglym - I got free at the L2B classic mini run the weekend just gone.

Missed driving my saxo---fast as!

Old 24th May 2019, 19:35   #56
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

My Saxo VTR had some cambelt adjustments and checks today. After all, it had that major engine rebuild last month and with that you have to check things are all 100% still. Engine is running excellent! Now it’s booked in for new shocks all round and new arm links next month.

Old 25th May 2019, 17:48   #57
nuttysaxo
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo Furio
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
nuttysaxo is on a distinguished road

Had my bonnet open today repainted some bits off engine bay , slight bodge but cheered it up a bit .
nuttysaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2019, 19:24   #58
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttysaxo View Post
Had my bonnet open today repainted some bits off engine bay , slight bodge but cheered it up a bit .
I need to paint some bits of my car because of rust.
Old 25th May 2019, 19:24   #59
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Quote:
My Saxo VTR had some cambelt adjustments and checks today. After all, it had that major engine rebuild last month and with that you have to check things are all 100% still. Engine is running excellent! Now it’s booked in for new shocks all round and new arm links next month.

Such a nice and clean looking car!
Old 25th May 2019, 20:02   #60
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Such a nice and clean looking car!
Cheers. It's not pristine by any means close up, but hey, just look after it. Glad I know what the knocking is now being the arm links and shocks.