Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 17th February 2010, 23:10   #21
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Another SLOW day - its freezing cold outside and I'm buying a seemingly endless list of tools (mainly as my tool boxes are so dis-organised I cant find any of the tools I need!!)

Got the oil drain pipe bolted on and fixed the turbo and downpipe to the car. After doing this I needed to adjust the orientation of the turbo again, to clear exhaust path with the drain and a few mm adjustments to the water cooling pipes. Adjusting the orientation ON the car was a complete ball ache!

The turbo is all mounted now though - except the oil feed banjo - I think I need a slightly longer bolt. Gonna be another fun time trying to source a banjo bolt tomorrow!

Just checked the actuator code on TurboTechnics site and its a 1bar unit - which is what I hoped it was. Another £50 I dont need to spend!
Few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5883.jpg   IMG_5879.jpg   IMG_5878.jpg  

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 23:14   #22
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor1 View Post
Just need an ECU now Simo

Kind regards

Andy
The predator is currently winning in my Ecu-wish list. Just need to check a few details/spec and then wait for you to reduce the price

Quote:
Old 19th February 2010, 01:15   #23
Simop
Administrator

Sorted the oil feed today. FOund a nice supplier of CHEAP banjo bolts too - a local diesel tuning place called Nationwide diesel. PIcked up a banjo bolt for £1.50 - better than the £12.50 GB-Ent were asking!!

Need to go back tomorrow for a 14mm banjo for the water feed now

Slowly getting there...

Also, after searching dozens and dozens of web pages for turbo components, eventually http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk turned up. Forgot about those Ordered a 2" stainless outlet and 3-stud mounting flange for the compressor outlet. So, once the rad, fans and intercooler are surface mounted, the pipe build can begin!

Quote:
Old 21st February 2010, 21:00   #24
Simop
Administrator

Been away for a few days, but found a couple of hours to carry on with the build today. I'm still re-jigging the position of the rad/fans, etc to allow me to run twin fans. Looks like Im oging to have to mount the intercooler off-centre. Not the best, but Im planining to try and hide it all behind a standard bumper anyway, so should be ok.

I seem to be spending a fair amount of time improving things that weren't all that great before. Been clearing a bit of surface rust too, so hopefully things will last a few extra years

Hoping to fabricate all of the boost pipes later this week, or at the weekend.

A before shot and a few mid-build shots...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5768.jpg   IMG_5963.jpg   IMG_5969.jpg  

Quote:
Old 21st February 2010, 21:50   #25
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Its great to see you getting back into the swing of things again SI Its been absent from show appearance for too long
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 22:10   #26
Simop
Administrator

Jeez, just noticed 3 weeks have passed since I started ripping the car apart. I really need to find some more spare time to get things moving along, as my work here is only the start of the rebuild. Once the car's mobile again, its off to GMC for a major overhaul.

I've prep'd most of the bits for the rad and dual fan combo, but have been messed around trying to find the correct banjo bolts for the turbo water connections. After two places insisting that the threads were not M14 or 1/4, I decided to buy both from another hose outlet... and they both fit. Well done turbo experts, you were wrong!

I've had the compressor outlet pipe and flange welded up, so once bolted on, I can surface mount the intercooler and start to make the new boost pipes (at last).

Whilst I've been waiting for some bits/bobs, I've been cleaning the engine bay up. I saw a VTR at the scrapyard a week or two ago, which had been scrapped due to excessive rust on the subframe in the drivers arch. I decided to get rid of the sruface rust on mine and spruce it up, before things got out of hand!

Can anyone tell me of the top of their heads, the OD of the VTS throttle body? Saves me heading outside with a tape measure I'm planning to use 2.5" boost pipe (again) and need to know how much to reduce by at the inlet.

Couple of pics as usual
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5979.jpg   IMG_5953.jpg   IMG_5976.jpg   IMG_5987.jpg  

Quote:
Old 28th February 2010, 22:17   #27
webby
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
webby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of lightwebby is a glorious beacon of light

62mm od iirc thats what size reducer i'm using.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 22:30   #28
Simop
Administrator

Excellent - no reducer needed then

Quote:
Old 28th February 2010, 23:52   #29
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Eagerly watching progress on this Si Sprucing up the engine bay has made a world of difference, still loving the colour too.
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 19:18   #30
Simop
Administrator

Had a few set backs this week (travel abroad, hospital visits and ordered parts not arriving). Been waiting over a week for some Samco bends - I ordered from a different (to normal) supplier, as they said they were mail order experts. Suckered

Just had a few hours on the car now. I grabbed an oil drain hose on Saturday morning and have just fitted it. When I bought it I wasn't convinced it was gonna be right, but thought I should start to overcome the next problem

The oil drain has always been a concern for me, as with my sump/exhaust setup, its quite close and could potentially get pretty warm. Fortunately Ive never had a problem... on my old turbo, I replaced the rubber drain hose I had with a steel section, to take the return past the exhaust.

The short length of pipe I bought this week it convoluted PTFE lined stainless steel braid, which is good for about 260degC. But, with the 45deg elbow I 'upgraded to', this takes the pipe worryingly close to the exhaust.

Is this too close for comfort?? Should I opt for a compact 90deg union, or should I just fab up a steel pipe, similar to before. As this is the one pipe on the car I've always let play on my mind, I'm swaying to the latter...

Couple of pics to explain...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5790.jpg   IMG_5993.jpg   IMG_5998.jpg   IMG_5991.jpg  

Quote:
Old 7th March 2010, 20:36   #31
gixxa
Established Member

Car(s): vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
gixxa is just really nicegixxa is just really nicegixxa is just really nicegixxa is just really nice

I had the same problem today with the return being very close to the down pipe, I overcome this by have a steel return most of the way and joining hose at the end.

Will try and get some pics tomorow
gixxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:16   #32
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxa View Post
I had the same problem today with the return being very close to the down pipe, I overcome this by have a steel return most of the way and joining hose at the end.

Will try and get some pics tomorow
Yeah, thats the way I used to have it, in pic#1.

Gonna have a look through my connections/adaptors catalogue to see if there's anything off the shelf, so I dont have to butcher something

Pics would be useful.

Thanks
Simo

Quote:
Old 7th March 2010, 21:33   #33
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

pretty sure mine ran close aswell Si never had a problem and I had the rubber and none stainless return pipe
Old 7th March 2010, 23:30   #34
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

good stuff si

will this be ready for fcs
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 11:28   #35
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

yes that oil return is too close --10mm gap absolute min+ heat shield it as well by choice
remember that braided hose has plastic liner.so if the oute gets hot it will transmit it
Old 8th March 2010, 11:38   #36
Simop
Administrator

Thanks John - Im going to try and sort a different fitting with steel pipe in the next couple of hours.

Simo

Quote:
Old 8th March 2010, 11:52   #37
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

you could cut the sump inlet at 45 degrees and re-weld it pointing up towards the turbo outlet, and then the braided piping would be straight between 2 points and give you your 10mm. It's because it comes out the sump horizontally and then the pipe has to make the curve, if the sump welded tube made the curve it would happen closer to the block and come away from the downpipe

Kind regards

Andy
luthor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 17:54   #38
Simop
Administrator

Cheers Andy - addressing the sump tail would make the job a lot better. TBH, I was trying to avoid dropping the sump pan off. Knowing me, I'll end up doing this though - lol.

Cheers,
Simo

Quote:
Old 10th March 2010, 21:50   #39
Simop
Administrator

Rang up Samco distributor #1 yesterday to see where my hoses are. They are due in stock this Friday - WTF?!? 2 weeks to wait for hose

Ordered another Samco from distributor #2 and has been dispatched same day. Progress. LOL.

I knew my conscience would get the better of me and this evening Ive dropped the sump off. I dont think I am going to be able to use the 45deg elbow from the turbo, as its directing the drain far too close to the exhaust.

Instead, I'm considering a 90deg turbo outlet and re-welding the stab on the sump at 35deg... then buying a threaded hose to screw in between the threaded connections I will have at turbo and sump. 90deg is not ideal, but looks like the best plan. Desperate to get these loose ends tied up now!!
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   1_mockup.jpg  

Quote:
Old 10th March 2010, 21:53   #40
Mr_P
Saxperience Forum Bum
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Bianca White Peugeot 106 S2 Rallye, Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mr_P is on a distinguished road

I see now the need for a sump
Mr_P is offline   Reply With Quote